Crimson Tide - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crimson Tide Reviews

December 31, 2012
Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington, great teaming
April 7, 2014
Denzel and Hackman disagree with each other, but you should agree that this is a good movie.
August 24, 2012
Top 5 of all time. Absolutely outstounding movie.
½ March 3, 2014
I've never met a submarine movie that I didn't like!
½ July 31, 2006
Caught this on TV today and I must say it was hard to stop watching. Gene Hackman plays such a great arrogant jerk and Denzel the perfect by the book officer. This had a lot of good actors which I enjoyed seeing in their younger days ;) Very Well done depiction of a submarine flick. They are ordered to fire a nuclear attack when another transmission tries to come in but the radios go down and they don't get the complete message. The wrestling begins between Hackman and Washington with those who support each side behind them...very riveting and a great movie.
February 9, 2014
Two giants, one film and a solid structure all the way through with tension and twists. The look, the sound and the acting carry this better than expected film, these days its hard to make a seriously bad submarine film
January 10, 2014
"Crimson Tide" is an above average submarine film, which is no doubt due to the skills of director Tony Scott and uncredited screenwriter Quentin Tarantino, who's influence is seen throughout this film.

Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington both embody their characters extremely well - Washington as an analytical academic officer, and Hackman as an old-school shoot-first officer, both working to avert nuclear war between Russia and the United States of America.

The film is also helped along by some snappy action sequences, some suspenseful confrontations among the crew, and supporting roles from the likes of Viggo Mortensen and James Gandolfini.

A good film.
½ January 6, 2014
The ending is very weak......but the rest of the film is a tension filled motion picture featuring fantastic performances, especially from Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington.
January 3, 2014
I will never forget this movie (and I need to post about this) because it's the one that made me swear off watching movie trailers. The movie trailer revealed every plot development point that nothing surprised me in this film. Need to rewatch. Hunt for Red October is my gold standard for this category. yes I know..I know..I need to watch Das Boot. It's on my queue
½ July 16, 2011
Superb film. Even though the ending was fairly predictable, it was nonetheless a gripping and interesting film throughout.
December 15, 2013
Solid, but didn't really have me "on the edge of my seat" considering it's obvious how it's going to end the whole way through.
November 11, 2013
Gene Hackman is very military and follows orders at any cost. Denzel Washington is more analytical and thinks about things before he acts. They are in a mission in Russia when they get orders to launch a nuclear strike. However, they get attacked and are receiving a second message which gets cut off. They argue on what the message could be. Denzel thinks it is a retraction, Hackman thinks it is a false message. Denzel does everything to try and stop the attack and Hackman does what he can to make sure it goes through.

A decent submarine movie, but I prefer U-571 to this. This one had great actors, but it is a little too simple in terms of story to really be great. Still a good movie though.
November 6, 2013
Brilliant direction by Tony Scott, a fantastic re-written screenplay by an uncredited Quentin Tarantino and outstanding performances by the entire cast especially Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman who give one of the best performances of their careers. Crimson Tide has an incredible amount of suspense that will have you on the edge of your seat for all 111 minutes. And is easily one of the best war films I've ever seen.
September 25, 2013
Dark confined spaces, shouting men, angry men, guns and nuclear missiles, all adding up to a thrilling, head to head. Nibbles: Apple Turkey Stir-Fry.
April 7, 2009
It's a riot inside a submarine. It's about avoiding a possible nuclear war in midst of tensions between US and USSR. Which caused a feud between the captain and Lt. Commander to make the right call. Decent action thriller.
August 6, 2013
Directed by Tony Scott and produced by Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer, who had had previous success a few years earlier with Days of Thunder (1990), they looked for something else to work on together, scripts came and went with Michael Schiffer's original screenplay about political turmoil and insubordination. It's a very suspenseful film, and very taut considering it's claustrophobic setting, but it makes for good entertainment. There is political turmoil in the Russian Federation, post-Soviet militants, loyal to ultranationalist Vladimir Radchenko (Daniel von Bargen) have taken control of a nuclear facility, and threaten nuclear war against Russia and America. On the USS Alabama, which is carrying nuclear missiles, Lieutenant Commander Ron Hunter (Denzel Washington) has just joined the crew, serving as second in command under Captain Frank Ramsey (Gene Hackman). After only a few days at sea, tensions grow between Hunter and Ramsey, and when Russian submarines, commandeered Radchenko comes into their vicinity, the trigger happy Ramsey wants to attack, but Hunter stages a mutiny to prevent a potential war. It's a very tense film, but it has some good performances, and a good supporting cast including James Gandolfini, Steve Zahn and Viggo Mortensen. This is a great example of how good Scott was at creating tense thrillers.
½ July 21, 2013
A mind blowing "action" movie that utilizes more tension and intense dialogue that that of mindless action sequences
½ July 18, 2013
The plot is engaging, the action is gripping and overall it is a believe-able experience that will keep you interested all the way to the end. The soundtrack for this film is one of the best of its kind - add a gang of really REALLY good actors and you're all set for a great movie. (3.75/5)
June 30, 2013
Hello my name is Baurushan and today we look at another movie about the war between the Russians and the Americans, this time set during the Post-Cold War era. This is my review of Crimson Tide. The story is about Captain Frank Ramsey played by Gene Hackman who is a commanding officer of a nuclear submarine. he recruits a new second-in-command named Lt. Cmmdr. Ron Hunter played by Denzel Washington. Ron is much younger than Frank and believes that the goal of the military war of the nuclear age is to prevent war, not fight it. While at sea in their submarine along with the crew, they are alerted as the Russian forces have seized missile silos. The Alabama which is the name of their submarine has orders to fire and they are to move forward with the attack, while Ron feels they should wait until they receive further instructions and going so far to threaten mutiny against Frank if the missile strike is carried out. This movie is what it promises: It's a dark, cold, battle-for-victory war movie and you know what the Americans are like when it comes to war movies. Directed by the late Tony Scott (may he rest in peace), this may be one of his best works in his early days. The movie consists of three writers, one of them involving Quentin Tarantino who was uncredited but helped to write the dialogue which included pop culture references. A lot of people really admire the pop culture references and so do I because it was a neat and swift risk from Tarantino without a single rushed pace. After Man On Fire which was not an impressive film, Unstoppable which was a decent action flick and this movie, I am starting to like Denzel Washington and I can see why people like him so much. I wanted to see this movie for a long time and I'm glad I saw it. Crimson Tide gets a 8.5/10.