97% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Crimson Tide Reviews

July 21, 2013
A mind blowing "action" movie that utilizes more tension and intense dialogue that that of mindless action sequences
July 18, 2013
The plot is engaging, the action is gripping and overall it is a believe-able experience that will keep you interested all the way to the end. The soundtrack for this film is one of the best of its kind - add a gang of really REALLY good actors and you're all set for a great movie. (3.75/5)
June 30, 2013
Hello my name is Baurushan and today we look at another movie about the war between the Russians and the Americans, this time set during the Post-Cold War era. This is my review of Crimson Tide. The story is about Captain Frank Ramsey played by Gene Hackman who is a commanding officer of a nuclear submarine. he recruits a new second-in-command named Lt. Cmmdr. Ron Hunter played by Denzel Washington. Ron is much younger than Frank and believes that the goal of the military war of the nuclear age is to prevent war, not fight it. While at sea in their submarine along with the crew, they are alerted as the Russian forces have seized missile silos. The Alabama which is the name of their submarine has orders to fire and they are to move forward with the attack, while Ron feels they should wait until they receive further instructions and going so far to threaten mutiny against Frank if the missile strike is carried out. This movie is what it promises: It's a dark, cold, battle-for-victory war movie and you know what the Americans are like when it comes to war movies. Directed by the late Tony Scott (may he rest in peace), this may be one of his best works in his early days. The movie consists of three writers, one of them involving Quentin Tarantino who was uncredited but helped to write the dialogue which included pop culture references. A lot of people really admire the pop culture references and so do I because it was a neat and swift risk from Tarantino without a single rushed pace. After Man On Fire which was not an impressive film, Unstoppable which was a decent action flick and this movie, I am starting to like Denzel Washington and I can see why people like him so much. I wanted to see this movie for a long time and I'm glad I saw it. Crimson Tide gets a 8.5/10.
June 29, 2013
Better than average military thriller centering on whether disobeying orders in a critical situation is mutiny or a heroic preservation of the spirit of the constitution. Well paced and filmed in cramped quarters.
May 4, 2013
Hackman vs Washington - outstanding, but the old man is too good even for Washington. A perfect package of a movie.
July 5, 2007
I'm not a big fan of sub movies and didn't feel this brought anything new to the table. Maybe I was wrong though. Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman are two heavyweights and Tony Scott is almost always visually engaging.
lilshorty69er
March 1, 2007
Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman star in this intense, action, submarine movie. Director, Tony Scott does fantasic job by creating the realism of being in a submarine, seriously I've seen a lot of submarine movies and other then, The Hunt for Red October this movie is one of the most realistic submarine movies. Seriously, the direction of this movie was so well done, Tony Scott really knows his way around a camera becasue he gave this movie great camera shots and brought a lot of good atmosphere. The great cast also made this movie work, like this movie stars, Denzel Washington, Gene Hackman, Matt Craven, Viggo Mortensen, James Gandolfini, Steve Zahn, George Dzundza and Earl Billings, all of which play terrific roles. I thought, Viggo Mortensen and James Gandolfini were the best out of the supporting cast members, but the show stealers in the movie were the two leads, Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman, seriously every scene with them two in was incredible, both of there performances was top notch. Another thing that was top notch was the score, Hanz Zimmer created a great score for this movie. Crimson Tide is basically the best, Tony Scott movie and basically the best submarine movie, next to, The Hunt for Red October.
December 22, 2011
"WAR WITHIN"
Amazing dialogue ,fantastic score by Hans Zimmer great performance from the leads and Another fantastic work from Tony Scott made this an total enjoyable thrilling ride..
October 6, 2007
Amazing, powerful. The performances are top notch. Definitely deserves its place next to The Hunt for Red October.
March 7, 2013
A rebelion in the former Soviet Union has captured a nuclear missile base, causing the greatest global emergency since the Cuban Missile Crisis. The US launches the USS Alabama, a nuclear submarine under the command of "Captain Ramsey" (Gene Hackman and his Executive Officer (XO) "Lt. Commander Hunter" (Denzel Washington).

Eventually, the "Bama" receives an emergency communication that is cut off, and both the commander and XO do not concur on what to do since the message is incomplete. Both pull in fellow officers into their argument, which ends up in a mutiny lead by "Hunter."

The performances are really good, you can almost feel the intense tension from the entire cast. Easily, Washington and Hackman stand out among the cast since the most tension is between them.

Most the the characters are well written, except a few minor ones. The script itself is simply excellent, and makes you want to see the movie multiple times like I have.

Although the scenery is restricted to the interior of the Alabama, the performances of the actors and the script makes you forget about it. You also forget that the entire movie takes place on board the sub, which is by design.

The music also enhances the mood of the movie nicely. All the music is instrumentals, and none have a singer. I think having songs without a singer singing would have ruined the mood the instrumentals helped set in the movie.

If you happen to see this on your local television line-up, try to catch it if you can. If you see it on the shelves at your favorite video rental store, this would be one of the best rentals you can get. You will not be disappointed in this movie at all.
February 25, 2013
Tony Scott sai toista kertaa urallaan lainata armeijan kalustoa. Ekalla kerralla tuloksena oli Top Gun, toisella Purppuravyöhyke. Pidän enemmän tästä jälkimmäisestä. Näyttelijävalinnat toimivat ja Tony Scott onnistuu luomaan staattisiin sukellusvenekohtauksiin tarvittavaa jännitystä.

Leffafriikeille tiedoksi, että osa elokuvan dialogista on peräisin Quentin Tarantinon kynästä. Kuten aina, Tarantinon dialogi erottuu edukseen eikä kohtia ole vaikea bongata.
horse c.
November 4, 2012
A Taut, Anxiety-Filled, Exciting Movie
February 22, 2013
Although not the best film of all time, "Tide" is a decent film, enjoyed by not only the typical man but also many others as well.
February 21, 2013
Gripping, and intense, Crimson Tide delivers the thrills and sends a shocking message that power corrupts.
February 19, 2013
Thrilling film, perhaps the best submarine movie out there. OK, so I've never seen Das Boot, and it's been awhile since I saw Red October (or Operation Petticoat, granted). But this is Tone's best work after True Romance, before he got too wobbly and flashy. Possibly Denz's finest day too. While the sub-on-sub action is pretty cool, and the support cast brilliant, the real joy here is watching Denz and Hackman go head-to-head - I mean - this would work almost as well as a stage play, it's THAT beautifully written, directed and performed. I love the way Hackman's Captain needles and prods and probes Denz's Commander from the instant they meet. I love the conflict in their ethos and styles that leads to the climax. I love that - while Denz has the most sympathetic character and audience substitute, Hackman's character is NOT treated as a villain. Perhaps the Commander is "more" right than the Captain, but as the film makes clear, neither is exactly right, neither is exactly wrong. The battle of wills - and of acting chutzpah - it more stunning and suspenseful than any submarine cat-and-mouse game. QT's addition to the script is pure icing on a wonderful cake.

The dilemma that Denz's character faces in the film (before he goes fully mutinous), and the strength he needs to stand up to his ultimate authority - these things are food for thought (and discussion) beyond the basic good vs. evil ethics of most action thrillers. I remember, when the film came out in the cinema, afterwards, driving by night up to the Sunshine Coast with my girlfriend at the time - she was lukewarm on the film, and I was defending it profusely - applying its thematic dilemmas and dramas to examples in our own working life. I think she got it. Hard to tell, with her...
February 1, 2013
Tony Scott's finest 90s film, intense, gripping and never less than brilliantly acted by Washington and Hackman.
January 27, 2013
This is Where Denzel should have won an Oscar
May 28, 2007
I've never understood why Crimson Tide is so revered and now looked back upon by many as one of the premiere action films to come out of the 90s. (Maybe it's those uncredited Tarantino rewrites?) I wondered why when I first saw it years ago, I was left wondering again recently after rewatching it. Sure, it's an above average military flick. Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman give some nice performances, although not up to the highest level they are capable of, and Tony Scott provides competent direction in showing a high-stakes ethical dilemma where both sides are simultaneously right and wrong. However, if you actually think about it, the plot and seemingly never-ending string of mutinies upon mutinies is preposterous, the outcome never really in question, and thus the tension not what the film is obviously trying to hit because you know the studio would never have the balls to actually show the nuke firing and WWIII starting. Truth be told I've never even found Crimson Tide to be all that exciting until the last half hour, which again is handled above average but certainly nothing out of the ordinary to make up for the mediocre 90 minutes beforehand. It still holds up to the moderate expectations it set forth on back in '95, but apparently should have been much better if it's now to be held up in such high regard.
filmlover1994
December 22, 2012
I Like Denzel Washington And Gene Hackman.