• R, 2 hr. 57 min.

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Crossing Guard Reviews

August 5, 2014
Despite the big name cast and director this has largely the feel of a TV melodrama. Interesting enough to pass the time but is still lacking in many aspects.
July 6, 2014
A top heavy movie, with loads of talent that fails to deliver anything memorable.
July 4, 2014
Its heavy subject matter and examination of a vengeful father make Sean Penn's 'The Crossing Guard' great late night entertainment.
September 18, 2010
Felt a bit too melodramatic and had a very dated "80s feel" (despite being made in 1995!)
339z
May 30, 2014
wow ummm just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a great movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that jack nicholson, david morse, anjelica huston, robin wright, piper laurie, play good roles/parts thorughout this movie......i think that the director of this drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch.........i think that jack nicholson was fantastic thorughout this movie.......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......i think that Joe Viterelli (.R.I.P.), was great throughout this movie........its got good fight scenes thorughout this movie......i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch but its such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch.......i think that Richard C. Sarafian (.R.I.P.), was brilliant thorughout this movie.....i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch but its such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch it is such a really well directed/written/acted movie 2 watch its such a brilliant movie 2 watch........i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie its such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie......
May 19, 2014
A very interesting film. The plot has its areas of dullness, but the film as a whole improved as the plot progressed. Jack Nicholson and Angelica Huston's talents are showcased very well in this film. Nicholson portrays a crazed man with a clear reason. The soundtrack of the film was a wonderful addition to the film. The characters were well structured, and went through a very clear arc as the film progressed. The script is written quite well, and the plot progresses nicely in the end. David Morse plays his role very well. The camera work is nothing spectacular, but it allows the audience to focus on some beautifully constructed characters. Nicholson shines in one of his most emotive, powerful, and empathetic roles that he has played in his career.
ken karlson
March 20, 2014
What a powerful film! Nicholson is amazing and the rest of the cast is super also. Great story and acting at it's best. Sean Penn is a great director. See this film if you missed it. It is a permanent addition to my library. Ken K.
February 2, 2014
Mediocre outcome from someone as talented as Sean Pean. The ending was dramatic, and Jack Nicholson's performance always stellar, but this tale of a man coming undone after the loss of a child was so contrived and predictable. Hopefully Pean's later works show a little more hubris.
January 15, 2014
Solid acting hindered by a lame duck story and awkward directing by Sean Penn. It moves very, very slowly and delivers very, very little.
December 28, 2013
The editing is absolutely atrocious. There are way too many unnecessary slow motion sequences that highlight something as spectacular as a person walking. The dialogue in some of the scenes is incredibly tedious and awkward. A huge waste of talent and casting. Avoid this movie !
August 12, 2013
Best thing about this movie was Bruce Springsteen singing at the beginning of it! :/
KevinRobbins
July 17, 2013
I'm gonna give you a laugh, kid

Freddie Gale is a jeweler that has sworn to get revenge on the drunk driver that killed his daughter. John Booth is released from prison after serving a lengthy sentence for killing a little girl while drunk driving. John suffers from depression as he tries to put his life back together. When John and Freddie's lives cross paths, their worlds collide which may lead to another fatality.

"It only hurts the first time."
"I know."

Sean Penn, director of The Indian Runner, The Pledge, September 11, Into the Wild, and the upcoming The Comedian, delivers The Crossing Guard. The storyline for this picture, written by Penn, was interesting and contained dynamic characters. The cast delivers awesome performances and includes Jack Nicholson, David Morse, Anjelica Houston, Robin Wright, and John Savage.

"Your guilt is a little too much competition for me. You should let me know when you want to live."

I am a huge Jack Nicholson fan and have been ashamed that I had never seen this picture. This wasn't as epic feeling as I had hoped. This was about as good as Chinatown, in my opinion. Jack Nicholson was his usual compelling self; and overall, this is a must see picture but far from a must own DVD.

"I ride the bus all day long."

Grade: B+
February 6, 2013
Easily Jack Nicholson's most underrated performance in my opinion. A heartbreaking portrait of loss/revenge and guilt/redemption.
April 7, 2013
Another movie with Jack Nicholson as an alcoholic...
March 21, 2013
very intense and great /sad story. the acting from the leads pulls you in and you are caught up in the character's lives. you especially feel for jack nicholson's character- the heartache/edginess just seething from him.
January 28, 2013
This started OK, and the plot synopsis had me intrigued, but about 30 mins into it things start going wrong. Some scenes are just...weird. Not good weird. It's hard to explain.
January 26, 2013
this is a worst JN movie. story is so hard to swallow. worthless to watch.
stillkrsfromprp
January 13, 2013
If not for Jack Nicholson, I would have called this one really bad. Jack, like Denzel has a way of making a bad movie seem OK.

The supporting characters (Robin Wright) are wasted with little development. I don't understand if Jack's character is a pimp, jeweler, a guy with lots of money, or what. You never really see what he's all about. The direction is quite messy.
December 31, 2012
Very touching movie and a typically great performance by Jack Nicholson.
November 15, 2012
Apesar de ser longo demais e melodram├ítico em alguns momentos, "Acerto Final" ganha pontos gra├žas aos seus complexos personagens.