Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Reviews

May 18, 2016
With some of the most beautiful set pieces, art, martial arts fights, and cinematography ever put to film, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is also a deeply engrossing and spicy drama with plenty of vibrant soul and spark to light its fire
May 17, 2016
One of my favorite films I have ever seen ever!! Catching fire hidden Dragon is one of the true masterpiece by Ang Lee. Every scene is perfectly executed to get to the story. Scenery visuals beautiful, and the traditional language that is put into the film, outstandingly amazing. Having English does is hopefuls, but without it. Just like it if silent film. You really don't need the words to explain the story. This is truly a magnificent some the sea year and I recommend for any film lovers to love film I recommend this film A lot.

Grade
A perfect 10
May 2, 2016
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a great film. Beautiful Cinematography, beautiful martial arts battles, beautiful scenery, beautiful storyline, this movie is just so beautifully made.
June 1, 2015
the best love story EVER !!
½ April 22, 2016
Wow! Some powerful stuff here. so glad I gave it a second watch so many years later.
March 22, 2016
Ang Lee's cinematic masterpiece Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is an extraordinary film. The story follows a rebellious young woman who has secretly trained to be a warrior and steals the sword of legendary master Li Mu Bai, but upon seeing her power Bai decides to offer her a chance at becoming his apprentice. Zhang Ziyi, Michelle Yeoh, and Chow Yun-fat lead the cast and give excellent performances. And the fight choreography is amazing, with a unique style that's part fantasy. Additionally, the score has a spiritual and majestic quality that beautifully complements the storytelling. Incredibly well-crafted, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a compelling film about love, duty, and sacrifice.
April 11, 2016
There are some questionable moments (the flashback sequence being one of them) and the story doesn't really make any sense. But overall, Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a beautifully directed film with some impressive martial arts battles. Some of the character motivations are poorly realized, but I really enjoyed the action sequences.
April 10, 2016
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is how action should be directed. The movie is swift and paced perfectly. The fights, stunts, and choreography is the best part as well as the amazing cinematography. This film served as a platform for Ang Lee to show of the true talent that he is.
November 14, 2015
Not just your typical martial arts movie, contains romance, a good intrigue and stunning original fighting scenes
½ March 26, 2016
Master director Ang Lee elevates the wire-fu genre in a charming, character-driven art film.
March 11, 2016
Despite brilliant action sequences and beautiful scenery, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon suffers from long spurts of lifeless drama consisting of lazily delivered lines and sloppy editing. Also, am I the only one who was annoyed with the random superhuman jumps mid-action?
November 27, 2008
A great dramatic romance and martial arts film. Shot beautifully and very originally choreographed.
March 9, 2016
A world where goodness, righteousness and foulness all get mixed into one: a tale with the makings of the real world. Albeit with some martial feats that are easily deemed outerworldly.
March 6, 2016
It takes few films to actually blow me away. Crouching tiger, Hidden dragon is such a beautiful kung fu/martial arts adventure with gorgeous action, impressive cinematography and multi layered drama to make director Ang Lee's best film.
February 29, 2016
I maintain a short list of movies that are 'critic filters'. This means I permanently disregard/block a critic that does not like films on the list. Others include 'Hoop Dreams', original 'Star Wars', 'Forbidden Planet', 'Breaking The Waves'. A rotten review of such films suggests to me that the critic is a) unable to overcome their preconceptions/prejudices about said film/filmmaker or b) are unable to understand the film and its place in the historical context of the industry. Maybe a bit of both. Regardless, their opinion veers so askew to mine as to be unrelatable. CT, HD is on that list. #FilmHubrisForever
May 3, 2014
Was this a good movie? Sure. It's a Hollywood blockbuster version of a Chinese movie. There are tons of these if you bothered to watch any of the older ones. There's really nothing new or original about this movie.
February 21, 2016
love it!! Worried the new one will be too westernized in plot and filming technique
February 8, 2016
I saw this movie when it first came out at the young age of 11. I just didn't understand the artistry and how truly beautiful this film is. Director Ang Lee brings about one of the most successful martial arts films ever released. The movie is about a young woman named Jen Yu (Ziyi Zhang) the governors daughter who is about to be married to another powerful political ally. She has a different side to her though and is really a martial artist waiting in wait to reveal herself. She plans on stealing an Ancient Sword called the Green Destiny which has just been given to the leader of the area Jen is in by the legendary warrior Li Mu Bai (Chow Yun Fat). Li Mu Bai is giving up the warrior life style to become a monk after having a dream that he cannot shake away. Yu Shu Lien (Michelle Yeoh) is a fellow warrior who has feelings for Li Mu Bai, but because of their life styles they can never act upon them. When Jen Yu steals the sword its up to Li Mu Bai and Yu Shu Lien to get the Green Destiny back and also to uncover a much bigger plot. I know this all sounds confusing as hell, but the movie actually has a pretty good pace. It sets up the story and even has a very nice back story to Jen Yu that explains a bit more about her. The martial arts in this film are fantastic. It has a lot of fantasy elements to it (people are damn near flying at times), but it just comes fast and quick with a lot of entertainment. I would say overall because this was shot in a specific style a lot of the meaning behind things are lost to us Western viewers. The ending may blow a lot of people's minds because it is not what you would expect after the climax of the film. The film came out 16 years ago, so some CGI parts (which are few since the movie used CGI sparingly) look very dated. Overall, a great film thats shot well and it's really a movie I have a better appreciation for now. If you've never seen it check it out!
March 24, 2008
I must learn the ways of karate!
July 13, 2009
In ever sense of the word, a masterpiece.