Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Reviews

November 22, 2015
Amazing direction from Ang Lee, with astonishing action sequences and a nice story
November 14, 2015
Not just your typical martial arts movie, contains romance, a good intrigue and stunning original fighting scenes
½ September 11, 2014
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon finds itself dragging at times, notably in the second act, but beautiful direction and breathtaking fight scenes more than make up for its shortcomings.
August 2, 2015
6/5. Even after 15 years, few other films have come close this perfection of action, romance, and tragedy
½ July 31, 2015
Beautifully shot with effective martial arts action, Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is an astonishing adventure of bravery and love!
½ March 17, 2015
If I were 9 yeas old, probably I would like this movie a lot. Unfortunately, I am 56, and this is one of the most stupid things I have seen in years.
The story is childish, the fighting ridiculous, there are dozen, if not hundreds, of martial arts movies around with the same kind of silly stuff for kids.
This is a mix of martial arts, western, flying super heroes. But if I wanted a western, I would chose Sergio Leone or Sam Peckinpah, if I wanted flying super heroes, I would go to see Superman or Spiderman, and if I wanted martial arts, I can't remember any title, but any Bruce Lee movie is way better than this crap, and none of the very few I have seen, despite stupid, is as stupid as this one.
Actually, I was suggested to see this movie mostly because of "the beautiful pictures and the scenery". Here too, there are some nice landscape, but, apart they look a lot as photo-shopped, I have seen nothing that I had not already seen in some National Geographic or BBC documentary (without digital post processing), or Sergio Leone western movie (also, in natural light and no photo shop).
The fighting scenes are not just ridiculous and silly to the extreme, they are BORING: the worst being the one on top of trees. It reminded me some beautiful documentary I had seen about Gorillas in Congo: that was beautiful, this is childishly ridiculous.
I can not understand how this idiotic thing got so many prizes, end entusiastic criticism, the only answer I can give myself, it was for some political reason.
Watch this with your kids, they will appreciate.
For me, a total waste of my time.
November 5, 2014
Deft storytelling and gorgeous scenery only add to this period piece filled with amazing fight scenes and surprisingly powerful melodrama.
July 3, 2015
10 out of 10:

Amazing visuals, cool action and parkour, and good drama makes this probably the best foreign film I've seen.
December 11, 2009
Words are not enough for me to express how much I adore this film - a deeply poetic, romantic and compelling experience that has a fantastic cast, a wonderful dialogue, one hell of a great direction and some of the most amazing martial arts scenes I have ever seen in a movie.
February 10, 2010
"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" is one of the most highly revered foreign films of all time. Its 97% on Rotten Tomatoes speaks volumes but that is nothing compared to its ten Oscar nominations including wins for Best Foreign Film, Art Direction, Score, and Cinematography. These nominations are justified through its epic proportions and stunningly beautiful martial arts sequences. This film went toe-to-toe with "Gladiator" and, while "Gladiator" took home Best Picture, you can't help but note that the scenery and artistry of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" is on the same level (if not higher). I don't make these comparisons lightly, as I consider "Gladiator" to be one of the finest films of all time and Hans Zimmer's beautiful scoring of the epic to be perfection. Not that there is anything wrong with Tan Dun's incredible ethnic score, but I do have an issue with it film winning in this particular category. This "Bruce Lee meets The Matrix" martial arts film is unlike anything that you have ever seen. The strong combined performance of leads Chow Yun-fat, Michelle Yeoh, and Zhang Ziyi energize the plot and the martial arts skills of the latter two are a true spectacle. These women can really fight! I found myself awestruck at the speed and agility of these women, especially once it was combined with Matrix-like special effects. The fight sequences are reason enough to watch this film and the gripping story is an added bonus. Even though the editors made Ziyi's flashback too large of a percentage of this film, she expertly shows every moment of her transformation from innocent aristocrat to deceitful criminal. I also enjoyed the development of the other characters and the unexpected direction of the story. This is the complete package when you combine its stunning locations to its beautiful soundtrack and the very cool Wudang martial arts sequences. This is a film that can be enjoyed by everyone regardless of your interest in/tolerance for foreign films. From "Sense and Sensibility" to "Life of Pi" to "Brokeback Mountain," director Ang Lee always delivers a critically acclaimed product but even amongst his masterpieces, few can compare to "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon."
July 3, 2015
I love the movie with the subtitles better than dubbed in English better.
½ July 1, 2015
In a similar yet lesser film to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, the stories of the film would be told in a stale manner. However, in Ang Lee's first big break, the subjects are so smoothly interwoven that it makes the film thoroughly interesting. This, coupled with unique and wonderful direction, make this movie deserving of its credibility both now and then. A sequence involving the poisoning of two key characters is absolutely phenomenal and a perfect example of how to properly incorporate human emotion into a mystical action thriller.
½ May 16, 2015
Ang Lee's masterpiece gives more depth to the martial art film genre.
June 3, 2015
It is a perfect example of an artsy film combined with over the top martial arts. The first thing I noticed here is the superb cinematography. Widest setting from China to some deserted land. It is visually stunning at some point. The fight scenes are well choreographed, just don't expect any realism in the fighting sequences. It's like watching a Wushu type of martial arts combined with some harmonic Chinese theme in the background. It's a gracefully made martial arts film. There's more fantasy to it actually, like they are flying around like ninjas on hyper mode. The story is about this young woman, who is obsessed in this sword called the green destiny, but is also in cahoots with the evil Jade. This evil Jade and this warrior named Li Mu Bai, has some collision in the past. Dynasty vs. another dynasty. I thought, this is a very long story, but they fitted in a short 2 hour film. It could have been better, if this film splits into two parts. Has some romantic parts in it, has some cool fights actually, by means of well choreographed sword fights. By all accounts, Ang Lee proves he can make such beautiful art and house drama and martial arts action at the same time. 4/5.
June 1, 2015
Beautiful fight sequences and scenery are just the tip of the iceberg in Lee's martial arts masterpiece.
½ May 31, 2015
Amazingly filmed, magical float-y fighting along with not-so-float-y fighting, and an intriguing story. Music by Tan Dun captures the tone perfectly.
May 26, 2015
Films this good shouldn't end. To label Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon an action movie would be massively reductive. There's simply nothing else like it. Beautiful, original and sublime. You're cheating yourself if you don't see it.
May 24, 2015
Filmmaking does not get much better than this. A poetic and magical movie that seems to be ageless.
½ May 24, 2015
Watched this on 23/5/15
I have always found Ang Lee films to be overrated, be it Brokeback Mountain or shit like Hulk or even Life of Pi, well this one's an exception. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a film with beautiful music, over the top martial arts, good locales, an usual story and cinematography.
May 16, 2015
One of the best Martial Art movie ! No Doubt !