The Crow Reviews

½ July 23, 2007
A stylish, abnormally dark and dreary tale of a rock musician (the late Brandon Lee) who comes to life exactly a year after the death of he and his fiance in order to enact revenge on those that were responsible. What could have just been another forgettable, B-grade exploitation flick is enhanced by stunning visual flairs, as well as a rare passionate lead performance. It really is a shame Lee died before he got to see the final cut of this film, since he is simply sensational for every minute of its running time. Of course, it goes over-the-top throughout and its nihilistic, dystopian society that the original comic book painted starts to wear on one after a while, but these flaws are minor. If anything, see it for Lee's spirited performance, as well as some fantastic action scenes and some eye-popping visuals.
July 27, 2012
A dark, eerie, ominous feel from Alex Proyas, but a classic masterful performance by the late Brandon Lee. A cliche plot is covered by the star's excellence and dazzle-filled dialogue and execution. The Crow is a cult-film that continues to fascinate audience's to this day. 4/5
blkbomb
½ June 1, 2012
Eric Draven: He was already dead. He died a year ago the moment he touched her. They're all dead. They just don't know it yet.

"Believe in angels."

Like The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, The Crow is remembered most for the passing of its star before being finished. Otherwise, this would only be remembered for being the great film that it is. The Crow is really cool movie visually and narratively. Brandon Lee gives a really good performance and sends his career, and life, out on a high note. But the movie is more than just Brandon Lee. Alex Proyas creates amazing atmosphere with his gothic images, and scenery. It's easy to see why this has such a huge gothic following.

Lee plays Eric Draven, a murdered guitarist, who comes back to avenge both himself and his fiancé. He is aided by a crow that shows him the way. What's really cool about The Crow, is how it takes the average revenge movie and expands on it. We feel sorry for Eric and we really want him to take out all of the people that were responsible for his death, but there's also somewhat of a fear about him. He's supernatural and superhuman, a mix that is sure to be able to kick some ass. Lee does a great job with all of the stunts that are required of him, but the most amazing part of his performance is the drama driven scenes between him and Sarah.

The Crow deserves the huge following it has. It's exciting, cool, and ultimately touching. There's not too much that I can say about the film. It's just sad that a lot of people only see this movie as, "The one with Brandon Lee." It is truly much more than that, and it may never get the full credit it deserves. Without a doubt, this is a must watch. If you haven't seen it yet, you are in for a treat. For some reason, I feel that this film had a huge influence on a lot of filmmakers. The scene where Eric walks into the crime meeting reminded me a lot of the scene in The Dark Knight where the Joker walks into the mob meeting. I'm not saying Nolan got the idea from this film, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.
cosmo313
June 9, 2006
Very awesome atmospheric and gothic set pieces, a gripping and creative story, superb performances, intense action, and one of the best soundtracks ever make this one of the best films of the 1990's.

It's a shame that this was Brandon Lee's final film (as well as his breakout one), because he really showed a lot of potential and promise. This film kind of became marginalized and cast off as the stuff of jokes and steretypes due to its influence with the gothic subculture, but ya know, it works on it's own terms as well, even if it is just a variation on the revenge theme. It's done incredibly well, has a unique look and style reminiscent of stuff like Blade Runner, and is both entertaining, and emotionally girpping great stuff. Also, what humor the film has also wroks pretty well.

There's talks of a remake, which is just a totally wrong idea. This doesn't need it, nor did it really need sequels. This is a film that just really fit the aesthetics of the 90s, and to remake it would take away part of what makes this so great. It's like doing a remake of any film that is quintessentially representative of whatever decade it comes from and expecting the results to be the same: something that really just can't work.

Bottom line, this is one of the best ever, and even though it was sadly the end of a promising start, I will always love this film (and its soundtrack) no matter how many times I see it or think about the crap that it inspired.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ May 16, 2011
The Crow is a very interesting take on the usual revenge film. Which I thought was terrific. A man and his girlfriend are murdered and a year later is resurrected by a crow to exact revenge on the ruthless gang of criminals responsible. The Crow is a dark film with melancholic overtones. The film blends horror, action and the standard revenge formula into a unique twist. Brandon Lee is Eric Draven, the man resurrected from the grave by a crow to avenge his death and as well as the brutal rape and murder of his girlfriend. Starring apposite Brandon Lee is a cast maverick actors such as Michael Wincott, Tony Todd, David Patrick Kelly and Michael Massee. The Crow is brilliantly directed by Alex Proyas and this is his best film. He hasn't made anything that has come close to The Crow. The film is probably most famous for Brandon Lee's on set death at the hands of a prop gun loaded with a real bullet. For that reason, I feel it brings a totally sadder and darker side to the film, and in a way it adds to the dramatic experience while watching the film. The Crow is a wonderful film that is not your usual revenge type of film. The film like I've said blends other elements into its story, and thus creates something totally unique on screen. The Crow has a terrific story with an excellent cast and even though this would be Brandon Lee's last film, it still remains as tribute to his talents. The crow gave us a taste of what Brandon Lee was capable of, but tragically, his career was cut short. But in a way, The Crow keeps Brandon Lee's legacy alive and the film successfully combines other genre elements to create a dark, melancholic revenge film action film with supernatural horror elements. A terrific film, and one that is masterfully executed.
October 21, 2011
In his directorial debut, Alex Proyas displays his dark and stylish execution that will be fine-tuned in "Dark City". Their is very effective dark atmosphere in this film, giving a grueling feel to the city. What separates this film from other straight-foward revenge flicks is Brandon Lee's incredible performance that manages to give the movie an emotional core. Most of the other actors are pretty good also, even Ernie Hudson despite the fact that his character didn't serve much purpose. The action is very well done, containing some very satisfying villain deaths. Aside from some uneven pacing in the second act, the only other problem with the film is the soundtrack. The goth-rock soundtrack can get a little distracting at times, especially when the movie goes into music-video mode. Not a great film by any means, but a very enjoyable revenge flick nonetheless. It is just sad that this was Brandon Lee's last film, it really seemed like he had a bright future ahead of him.
FilmFanatik
April 22, 2007
Having not seen The Crow in a very long time, I think I can distance myself a bit from it upon a recent viewing. I've gotta be honest here and say that I've never really connected with this movie at all, and I can remember all four occasions on which I watched it, and I still haven't connected with it. I think I can understand why a little bit now, being a bit more educated on the subject of story and character. First of all, I don't really connect with any of the characters, despite the sympathy being curried for Eric Draven... but, I think that sympathy gears more toward the females in the crowd. It's a very romantic film, but in a very "emo" sort of way, and just nothing I feel like I can relate to. Second, I dislike Rochelle Davis' performance. Again, it's so "emo" without any sort of range it's unrelatable - plus, her raspy voice (especially during the awful narration) is very grating. Third, I've never understood why Ernie Hudson is in this movie. To me, he sticks out like a sore thumb, and it feels like a role that he took just because. On the positive side, the movie has some impressive visuals, despite the fact that it's so dark. It has a lot of texture and subtleties in the color palette that make up for the lack of story. Sure the story is in there, but it's not all that interesting. Things go from A to B rather quickly without much conflict and without much in the way of character or story dynamics. Perhaps that's just me because I'm a dude, and I can't get behind "emo" romanticism. Anyway, the film is great to look at, but misses its mark as a story, something that I'm told it never recovered from in its sequels. I ownly saw the second one once on video, and barely remember it, so I can neither agree or disagree with that.
garyX
½ December 8, 2006
A dead rock star returns from the grave to wreak bloody vengeance on the gang who murdered both him and his fiancee. Based on a comic book, The Crow plays out like an adolescent goth's wet dream. The impossibly pretty Brandon Lee, clad in leather and eye liner and sporting an electric guitar, stalks the night taking out evil cartoon characters to a truly dire goth rock soundtrack. The look of the film is very nice with plenty of atmosphere and nice sets in a similar vein to Proyas' Dark City, and Ling Bai, Tony Todd and especially Michael Wincott make for some very charismatic, characterful villains. On the down side, when he's not kicking bad guy ass, Lee's performance is ridiculously affected, the direction is clumsy and although there are a couple of well orchestrated set pieces there isn't really enough in the way of action, the plot preferring to focus on ham fisted melodrama. It does get better as it goes but it has dated rather badly (mainly because of the appalling soundtrack) and all looks a bit immature and silly in the post Batman Begins era.
½ August 8, 2007
Dark, gothic, amazing soundtrack and the best comic book adaptation made. The scenes of the crow gliding through the mist and darkness accompanied by Nine Inch Nails 'Dead Souls' is inspired.
Also, Eric putting on the sad clown mask make up accompanied by the Cure's 'Burn' is another gorgeously realised and soul soaring scene.

One of the first comicbook adaptations to actually live up to the original source and not shy away from the violence. Lee is memorable in the lead as 'Draven' as are his villainous nemeses whom he kills one by one in a glorious vengeful rainy devils night killing spree from beyond the grave.

Some images are now looking rather dated and can be seen to be models or bluescreen but due to immense amount of darkness that shrouds everything it still just about passes undetected.

Finale is slightly disappointing and anti climactic but its also quite moving, even more so when you know Lee actually did die in the end.
DreamExtractor
½ April 20, 2011
The Crow was a fun revenge movie. Sometimes the movie felt silly, but then The Crow killed more people and I felt better. The plot is simple enough, and its fun. The acting was good, but nothing groundbreaking. This movie is also a great superhero movie and a great trinute to Brandon lee. Overall I liked it, but I didn't think it was terriffic.
August 3, 2010
A straight up revenge flick, The Crow has very little in the way of a morality tale. In a metropolis that goes unnamed, a man and his girlfriend are murdered after they refuse to give into a gang of thugs. The thugs kill them on Devil's Night, the night before Halloween, which is a day of spooky proportions. One year later Eric Draven is reanimated by a watchful crow in order to exact revenge upon the gang and all their associates. If this was a regular action film, it wouldn't be all that exciting. Yes, there are multiple explosions and a few grisly and satisfying murders exacted by Draven, but nothing that you can ooh and aah over. Crow accepts this, and so plays up the supernatural elements; painting the main character's face into a mask of white and black, much like the ghouls that come out to trick or treat. Immortal for one day, Draven is shot, stabbed, burned, and threatened, all with the pain of mortality but none of the death. Brandon Lee sadly passed away during the shooting of this film from an accidental prop malfunction. Mirroring the film, he was to be married right before he was killed. The eeriness of knowing the details before watching the film, made this tribute to Lee's life thrilling to see. He gave his life for an exceptional film.
½ March 31, 2011
A very gothic film with a dark comic book hero who rises from the dead and avenges the murder of his fiancée and himself. This film has great visual elements but the story and characters have strong similarities to films such as Batman and The Punisher.
½ February 7, 2007
One of the finest and best comic book adaptations ever made. This is one hell of a spectacular and unforgettable movie. A genre bending film mixing explosive action, bone-chilling supernatural horror and surprising human tenderness. An awesome and adrenaline-pumping edge of your seat action-packed thriller. It's stylish, dark, gripping, thrilling and utterly exhilarating from start to finish. A chilling, surprisingly effective and mind-blowing ride. A hard-rocking and explosive movie that you will love.A masterpiece from Director, Alex Proyas. A well crafted and performed flick. Brandon Lee gives a sensational performance.
September 4, 2010
Hypnotic. Mesmerizing. One of the best movies ever. Brandon Lee did an awesome job, and can never be replaced.
YodaMasterJedi
March 29, 2007
Brilliant and beautiful film that successfully combines extreme violence and gore and a sense of morality,

Brandon Lee, the son of Bruce Lee, died during the filming of this film in a freak on set accident. His legacy will forever live on because his final film is perfect in every way. Based on the very disturbing graphic novels of James o' Barr, THE CROW follows an innocent young man named Eric Draven(Brandon Lee) whose soon to be wife was brutally raped and murdered by a pack of savage hoodlums on Halloween Eve, AKA Devil's Night. He too is murdered by these freaks and on the same night one year, the crow brings Eric's soul back to him and allows him to wake from the dead as a sort of zombie so that he can set the wrong things right and let his own soul rest in peace. However, this task leads him to a drug-lord known as Top-Doller, who may be worthy of one of the most disgusting villains in film history. He doesn't know it yet, but he unfortunately must also take down Top-Doller before he can sleep, but doing so may be trickier than he imagined possible. The beauty of this film mirrors that of a comic book, and the internal hell of living in a city that is so full of scumbags and ridden with crime and murder is perfectly captured here. From the grimy dark wet look of the film to the pure out rock and roll soundtrack, the film looks like trash, but it is beautiful trash that viewers will realize perfectly evokes sympathy from the characters. The characters however are all done just as well as the scenic look of the city. Brandon Lee plays Eric as straight as is appropriate and even though he isn't exactly a good actor, his charisma gives the film a very charming light. the wild cast of villains are all good. All of the characters are perfect in the comic book interpretation of villains or bad doers, and the hero are all so perfect and so above the villains in their own respect. Crows are really beautiful creatures, and the hero in this film is shown just as pure, and yet he is anything but not angry at the jerks that messed up his life. He is a rock star who acts playfully when alive, and down when he is dead, but he takes a really joyful glee in torturing and killing his victims that makes the film darkly humorous. So with a perfect soundtrack, the ultimate Gothic feel, the beauty of evil, and the madness of villains, THE CROW is a perfect comic book film. This film gives us a different representation of what life could be like in a city destroyed by evil and hatred. This film is perfect and I can't recommend it enough. For those who don't like violence, this could be the worst film you could decide to watch, but for everyone else, open your eyes and witness one of the greatest film experiences of your life.
April 24, 2010
Astounding ideas riding through this film. It's evil, it's grusome, It's gritty, and sometimes funny! I loved this movie from start to finish, and never once could I say that I was bored. It is sad to have Brandon Lee pass away, because If he were around to make more, I would be there first in line to see them. What a cool, fun and Awesome movie!
flixsterman
½ January 3, 2009
Every generation needs their "rebellion" movie. For me, I think it was The Warriors. So I can fully understand how The Crow has such broad appeal, especially for those who spent all or part of the 90's trying to find their own identity. It has all the key elements: good people trying to cope with a very bad world, revenge, greasepaint, and David Patrick Kelly (see also; The Warriors).
½ November 18, 2009
The gothic cityscape and overall feel to it was amazing, not afraid to be too dark. Brandon Lee did a great job, especially for not being performance oriented. However, he wasn't the Crow I was expecting from the original story.. The story is tragic and i'm glad they stayed sorta true to the source material.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ October 28, 2008
"It Can't Rain All The Time"

A man brutally murdered comes back to life as an undead avenger of his and his fiancée's murder.

REVIEW
Having known Ernie Hudson as one of the Ghostbusters, I thought that it made sense to cast him in "The Crow". The movie is of course most famous for Brandon Lee's unfortunate death during filming. Watching the movie, it gave me a real sense of the macabre, in a less than identifiable setting full of chaos. Needless to say, it adds to the feeling knowing what happened to Lee on the set. No matter how you approach it, this is a horror movie without having to be particularly scary, and definitely one that I recommend. Watch on Halloween, right before Halloween, or during any other part of the year, and it's still equally good.