• R, 1 hr. 34 min.

Cruel Intentions Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 8, 2011
Cruel Intentions is a pretty interesting teen drama comedy. I wasn't sure about wanting to see it, however I finally did, and was surprised. The film has a good enough cast that keeps the material working, and the cast deliver some good performances. The film is both funny and demented and at times dramatic, and the film is fairly underrated. The film is of course not perfect, but for what it is, it manages to be a good, entertaining hour and a half. What made this film worth watching was Selma Blair as Cecile; she definitely gave the funniest performance of all. Sarah Michelle Gellar was great as Kathryn. She really gave a cruel, uncaring performance, and she definitely delivered in that respect. Cruel Intentions is a well made teen film that is much better than one might think. The film is funny, and has a good cast at hand. I enjoyed many of the cast here, and I thought they each brought something special to the screen. There are things that could've been done better, but for what it is, Cruel Intentions works well enough to keep you interested and entertained, sure the film at times is so-so, but there are plenty of good things going on-screen to enjoy. This is a different and refreshing type of teen comedy/drama film, and like I said, I didn't expect to like it. The cast make this film watchable, and add to that a pretty clever script, and you have a good little film. There are plenty of good, memorable moments on-screen, with plenty of funny bits. An underrated film.
Letitia L

August 15, 2011
Captured our imaginations when we were teenagers.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Heartbreaking! Exceptional acting from all the cast. One of my all time favourite films!
Nadira I

December 22, 2010
My friend recommend this movie to me at first and then I decided to check it out. It is not a new movie, but yet there is something very cool about it. Ryan Phillippe and Sarah Michelle Gellar played the antagonists very well and Reese Witherspoon as Annette is successful in bringing the innocent-sense of the character. The soundtrack is the best and the ending is satisfying.
Jani H

April 17, 2008
"Introduce her to your world of sex, drugs and... what else do you do?"

There's something about this movie that makes it a "thumbs up" for me. I've seen it a couple of times on a period of ten years and have enjoyed it on both times.

I don't know if it's the manipulation or seduction between the main characters that makes this film stand. Everything starts with a bet between two rich, spoiled and good looking (can they be other than that?) school students. The social elite wants to play and no ones feelings are safe.

The cast of 'Cruel Intentions' is like a "who's who" of late 90's teen actors. Some of 'em have done a successful career (Reese Witherspoon, Sarah Michelle Gellar) and some have bombed (Joshua Jackson and Tara Reid). But my God! I like 'em all! I don't have a privileged past life or anything like that but watching these play these little yuppie bastards is lots of fun. And the actors manage to perform well, which may come as a surprise. It did to me at the first time.

'Cruel Intentions' is based on a 200 year old French novel. Stephen Frears and Milos Forman, just to name a few, have done their own adaptations 10 years before this one, which is directed by Roger Kumble. His career has been shit after this. I mean it... Shit. Just watch his filmography on this site.

The film is well written and the story develops nicely with some surprising twists. In the end, even though hearts do get broken, love will stand tall. But do they deserve to get it? 'Cruel Intentions' ends with one of the best songs ever made: Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve. That song is a reason alone to watch this film.
Nicki M

January 2, 2008
This is an old favourite of mine. Have had it on DVD for ages - saw the blu ray going for $13 and decided it was too good to pass up. I put the movie on just to check out the transfer, but as usual got sucked into watching the whole thing. Though it's obviously dated a little, it is still a really good film, still find it moving and enjoy watching it, and the ending with Katherine and Annette always makes me a little teary.
The whole cast is excellent here. I think it may be Sarah Michelle Gellar's best role outside of Buffy - she really is horrible as the manipulative and cruel Katherine - yet so beautiful and compelling, totally convincing that she could pull so many people into her web. Reese Wtiherspoon is just so cute here as is Selma Blair - both looking really young and vulnerable. Ryan Phillippe and Sean Patrick Thomas are also well cast.
Visually the movie is very striking. Though it is a teen film, it looks quite sophisticated and rises above what you would normally expect from this type of movie. Impressive.
Spencer S

July 23, 2010
This is some serious teenager drama. Not exactly sure how I should feel about this movie, but it definitely is still wiggling in my brain.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

February 3, 2010
"In the game of seduction, There is only one rule: Never fall in love"

Kathryn makes a bet that her step-brother, Sebastian, won't be able to bed Annette (a virgin, who wants to wait until love). If he loses, Kathryn gets his Jaguar, if he wins, he gets Kathryn.

REVIEW
Did the world need a teen version of "Les Liaisons Dangereuses"? Writer-director Kumble's screenplay is atrocious, veering from convoluted to mildly interesting to boring to ludicrous. Phillippe and Gellar look like little kids trying to play grown-up roles while the grown-ups (Fletcher, Kurtz, Baranski) simply look embarrassed. All the characters are uninteresting and one-dimensional. The dialog is so bad at times that it appears that Kumble is doing a spoof of the de Laclos novel except that any humor is purely unintentional. Phillippe's character is supposed to be a misguided and tragic hero or something but comes across as a confused and spoiled brat.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
LOVED it. Better than Dangerous Liaisons actually.
Lewis C

June 21, 2007
Cruel Intentions was a big deal back when it was released, but it doesn't hold up quite as well now. It was once a shocking look at how cruel and shallow spoiled teenagers could be, but now it only reminds me that Reese Witherspoon used to have huge boobs, and that Ryan Phillippe pouts way too much.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 1, 2009
See what happens when you dare to reach the stars.
Jason O

August 15, 2009
"Cruel Intentions" is a strange kind of movie. Kathryn (Sarah Michelle Gellar) bets against her stepbrother Sebastian (Ryan Phillippe) that he won't be able to get Annette (Reese Witherspoon) in the bed and take her virginity away by a certain amount of time. If he does, he gets Kathryn. If he doesn't, Kathryn gets his Jaguar.
The reason "Cruel Intentions" is a good movie is because it's well acted. Sarah Michelle Gellar does a good job portraying the two-faced and sexy Kathryn. Reese Witherspoon does a good job of acting innocent and down to earth. And Ryan Phillippe does a good job playing as Sebastian, who can't easily make up his mind on what he should do. The story and the script are also well done for the movie.

If you like good movies with some interesting twists and an intriguing plot, I recommend getting "Cruel Intentions." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. Think I was just trying ot cater to the audience cause I remember I wasn't that big on this movie....after all, it never inspired me to watch the sequels.
Coxxie M

June 3, 2009
perverts take note: this movie came with a free box of tissues when it came out... yea.
Ross C

May 6, 2007
I don't think I could stand such a self-obsessed american teenage flick nowadays, but back in the 90s this was a very sexy, stylish and clever movie. Worth it for the great soundtrack and satisfying ending.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 6, 2007
Excellent modern version of Dangerous Liaisons. Kathryn and Sebastian are too rich and popular, so bored they play with other people's lives. Great cast.
jagfire
jagfire

August 23, 2007
Sweeeeet
deano
deano

October 16, 2006
Sarah Michelle Gellar and Ryan Phillippe are brilliant as spoiled brat siblings with amoral designs on Reese Witherspoon in this teen translation of Dangerous Liaisons that ups the trash value with more bitchness than a Melrose Season. More fondly regarded for its lesbian snogging scene between Gellar and Selma Blair than any inventiveness or credibility in this script department, but you could do much worse than watch a sexy young cast fuck each other over for 90 odd minutes.
Tim S

July 30, 2007
This movie is fucking stupid and Ryan Phillipe is terrible in everything.
Luke B

June 7, 2007
Teen drama romance executed with a certain air of competence. Sturdy performances and quite sexy at times this is mighty worthy fluff.
Rachel F

May 29, 2007
Very good movie. Ryan Phillipe is so fine.