—— The Identical Sep 05

The Curse of the Jade Scorpion Reviews

The Gandiman
The Gandiman

January 22, 2010
Bad story and abysmal chemistry curse this luster-less dog.
Jennifer X

July 9, 2009
Despite Woody reportedly having hated this film, I actually kinda liked it. It's entertaining enough, witty enough, jazzy enough, and fun enough to merit a second watch. Even though Woody and Helen Hunt have absolutely zero chemistry together. The ending was quite fun.
Jens S

October 3, 2007
Woody Allen's visit to the detective movies of the 30s is full of hilarious and witty dialoges. Especially how his own insurance investigator character battles Helen Hunt's with words and her responses alone are pleasure to watch. The main idea of people committing robberies under hypnosis is really fun and Allen manages to entertain in every minute, also thanks to a cast of really good names. The movie is breathing nostalgia for those old days in every minute, it doesn't even try to be more than that. Some might find that unexciting and the lack of a showdown actually is. The humor more than makes up for it. Still fun for as long as it lasts.
arashxak
arashxak

August 2, 2008
Fun and refreshing with so many cute & smart lines, The ending is terrible though
Alice S

June 3, 2008
Not the best Woody Allen. Loved Helen Hunt but her delivery of the long, bitter diatribes got slightly stale. Charlize Theron was surprisingly, devoid of sexuality; her attempt to channel the sophisticated disdain of 1940s Lauren Bacall sounded rushed and self-consciously bored.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

January 22, 2008
Woody is rusted already, he should seriously consider retirement.
Mouhannad S

December 9, 2010
This movie was enjoyable and funny... but not that great .
Juli R

October 29, 2011
This may not be the best Woody Allen, but I enjoyed this romantic comedy set in 1940. The burnished colours and the styling of the female leads are terrific. A pleasure to look at. I would have liked CW not to fall short to Betty Ann--he should be infallible, wittier than she. Falls a bit short.
alanjayh
alanjayh

May 22, 2010
A rather mediocre Woody Allen film; most of the acting seems contrived and the pace tends to drag. The one redeeming feature is the dialogue--- there are some genuine laugh out loud moments with the conversations and snappy retorts as usual. The interactions between Hunt, Theron and Allen just seem to be manufactured and are missing the chemistry Allen had with Keaton. "Manhattan Murder Mystery" is a superiior film.
Sunil J

February 18, 2009
Dull. One of Woody Allen's lesser films.
Marcus W

February 10, 2009
There's a brilliant idea hidden within this film but it's never unveiled. Instead, Allen spends so much time working on his banter with Hunt (who is pretty good in this) that he completely misses the potential for something special. If he had focussed as much on the story as he does on the script, he might have added a subplot or two and really raised this film.
Marion R

August 30, 2007
It was okay, a fun watch.
kenscheck
March 15, 2014
Woody Allen admits this is not his best work. The problem stems from the performances really. It is a decent idea, a somewhat funny script...but Allen miscast himself as the lead, and his chemistry with Helen Hunt is terrible. She is no Keaton or Farrow. The style is there in this neo-norish comedy about insurance adjusters, hypnosis, and jewel thievery...but the misplaced lead in Allen, his miscast love interest in Hunt, and the hit and miss performance from Aykroyd make this one a hard one to recommend.
July 19, 2007
Charming at times but never funny. And I am since relieved that Woody Allen has stopped using his films as vehicles to make out with Hollywood's hottest women. Self-deprecation can only take you so far buddy.
May 20, 2009
definitely lower-tier Allen work. while comedic exchanges are plentiful, especially between Allen and Hunt, the plot is very flimsy. while it's certainly not going to be a suspenseful jewel-heist film noir, even the trademark satire and intellectual quirkiness was lacking. it basically felt like a more stylized romantic comedy, cinematic shortcomings and all. witty and enjoyable, but very average.
February 11, 2008
Woody Allen describes this movie as one of his failures. Am I crazy to disagree with a genius over one of his own works? Let's find out.

Now, this isn't Annie Hall by any means. This is, again, one of his zanier premises. I'd put this one closer to Sleeper than I would Manhattan (although that, too, is a stretch). Here's the beef I have with the movie first.

The first act is pretty dull. The stylized performances take a while to get used to, especially from Dan Aykroyd and Elisabeth Berkeley, but eventually they grow on you. Also, the movie is kind of dry until the inciting incident.

But once the premise is revealed --zaniness. Pure, unadulterated zaniness. If you take the movie to be a product of silliness and bizarre circumstance, you'll probably have a good time. The 1940's setting is just to get you in the mood for an old timey pulp novel, but it's kind of fun to see Woody out of his contemporary Manhattan locale. Heck, some of my favorite movies are the ones that are slightly more higher concept (Sleeper, Love and Death, Alice, Shadows and Fog). At the end of the day, this one doesn't really match up to those, but is a good time nonetheless.

The aspect that really saves this movie is Allen's interaction with Helen Hunt. I'm not a big Helen Hunt fan. Heck, I don't even have an opinion on the woman. But some of her banter is just absolutely priceless and I think she pulls it off very cooly. It's also refreshing to see Charlize Theron in such an over-the-top role. It's a heck of an idea to think that she's a comedienne. I've really jumped on board the Charlize train once I saw her on Arrested Development. But this was a very fun outing for her. Sure, it doesn't seem like playing a sexy, horny bombshell would be hard for someone like Theron, but she's got spunk to pull it off.

Yes, it's a silly movie. If you are looking for a lot of substance, you aren't going to find it here. If you are looking for a cool spoof on the pulp genre, you'll only be mildly amused. But if you want just a good time that's not going to stick with you forever, you'll probably get that with The Curse of the Jade Scorpion.
October 6, 2006
Ah, Woody Allen, you are amazing. This plot in most people's hands would be stupid and full of completely lame gags. It's not terribly original, you can see the plot coming a mile away... and yet it manages to be a thoroughly entertaining movie, even if it does have a moment or two of cheesiness. Very funny throughout, as well as being a nice tribute to detective movies and romantic comedies of the 40s. Certainly not his best but fun to watch!
jgibbjr
May 29, 2007
nice homage and send-up to the guy-girl movies of the 40's....he's gotta quit casting himself as the protagonist, though. Woody: NOBODY'S BUYING THE 70-30 ROMANCES.....go seduce another teeenager.
1980sgirl
April 24, 2007
I absolutely loved this one. Helen Hunt is wonderful in it and the costumes and time period are perfect.
adecker31
April 14, 2007
Not Woody's finest moment...but you know, I still liked it. One of those if you like Woody Allen movies. Not one of those, even if you don't like Woody Allen movies.

When he makes great films, almost nobody beats him, when he makes this kind of stuff, you just kind of pat him on the back and say, thanks man! Thanks for showing up today!