Cyborg

—— Unforgettable: Season 3

Cyborg Reviews

Phil H

September 5, 2007
Another Terminator style plot line and a Mad Max rip of sorts, its not too bad for an early effort, when I was young I watched it purely for the action and martial arts sequences, it hasn't got much else. The main baddie is pretty evil looking and as usual the final showdown at the end of every Jean Claude film is a martial arts fest and pretty cool.
DragonEyeMorrison

The worst Van Damme movie I've seen, and I've seen nearly all of his
DerekA101
DerekA101

September 3, 2008
If Jean Claude Van Dame were a little bit younger, then he would've had a more successful career in this generation. Prime example: Cyborg.

This movie is so bad on so many different levels. I swear they were running on a $100 budget after JCVD's salary.

The sound was awful, the camera work bad, the background and props looked like a middle school play, the graphics were low standards even for 1989, and the worst was the acting! The bad guy just raised his arms and screamed AAARGH! Wow, that's menacing.

It's nice to watch JCVD round house kick his way through a movie... but it's sad to watch the guy he hits NOT sell the fight and then for the sound to be a half second off.

Geez, kill me now.... I'd rather watch a whole season of crap like Laguna Beach than watch this movie again.
deano
deano

March 20, 2007
Incredible ripoff of Mad Max 2: Road Warrior and Blade Runner where Jean-Claude Van Damme fights alone against the dangerous and reckless gang in his knife-fighting and martial arts scenes.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 25, 2007
eh, not one of his best
garyX
garyX

December 30, 2006
Another inept action flick from JCVD, this time with a hopelessly dimwitted and cliched sci-fi spin. Cheap and stupid.
Lee K

June 26, 2008
I dunno.... my least favorite of van dammes when he still had an career.
DrLappos
DrLappos

May 27, 2007
cool.
qtmemoe
qtmemoe

April 18, 2007
I only give this thing half a star as I am unable to give it none without having been marked as not rating it. Horrible. So bad one wonders if it was done like this on purpose.
Anthony V

April 18, 2007
Villian stolen from Once Upon A Time in The West
rodjeckrich
January 2, 2013
Post apocalyptic sci-fi action-er. Cyborg is cheesed out entertainment that may be so bad it's decent or just entertaining. Did you know that they took the abandoned concept for Masters of the Universe 2 and this was the result? There are way worse Van Damme movies.
NEMESISxDx
March 8, 2011
would be much better an action movie had the music been done by an industrial band and the introductory voice-over been omitted.

some people will only see failure, where i see potential. sad, really.
NuditysShiver
September 18, 2009
In a post-apocolyptic future, scientists are struggling to save what's left of mankind, so they send a cyborg named Pearl Prophet (Dayle Haddon) to retrieve the information in New York City. She is soon spotted by vicious pirates lead by the sadistic Fender Tremolo (Vincent Klyn), who desires what the scientists are after for his own gain. While trying to escape, her companion is mortally wounded, telling her to flee and find a slinger, someone who has experience in dealing with pirates. This slinger comes in the form of Gibson Rickenbacker (Jean-Claude Van Damme) who also has a secret vendetta with Tremelo and his gang.

While the storyline seems bland in comparison to Sci-Fi's nowadays, you have to look into when this film was made and how Sci-Fi's were presented. For the late-eighties, Cyborg worked and had some interesting and evil-looking characters to boot. The characters of Vincent Klyn and Ralf Moeller were probably the most intimidating that Van Damme had faced in his career in cinema. That icy-cold stare that Tremelo possessed was right on par, while his band of merry ol' pirates seemed like they were hopped up on some sort of meth/steriod based product.

The production was dreary, with a brooding sense of no "fucking" escape; environments were in disarray and afflicted with death. A quick scene involved a nude male and female corpse crucified back-to-back on what looked like a telephone pole amongst a crumbling city at the beginning. Jean-Claude Van Damme doesn't have much dialogue, or anyone for that matter, but he does deal out some punishment to his foes. Maybe not as glamorous as his future works, but he gets the job done with a few kicks here and there. Cyborg is pretty much a straight-forward, unrelenting, claustrophobic sense-of-despair of a film, and if you can get past the dodgy flashbacks that Gibson experiences, you'll find a gem in this.
May 18, 2010
Post apocalyptic action flick. Not as thought provoking as other movies of that genre, but if you're a fan it could be worth checking out.
gabboep
April 19, 2010
....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!! oh god, this movie was so horrible, that I ended up laughing my ass off, Cyborg is probably one of Van Damme's worst movies he's ever done.

The story is misleading, first off, the movie is called "Cyborg", and when you look at the poster for the film, you're like "holy shit, is Van Damme the cyborg, is he gonna fight the cyborg?", but no, the cyborg is actually a side character who doesn't have much screen-time in the film, the whole movie focuses on Van Damme fighting against this pirate leader for killing his girlfriend, I don't know which Van Damme movie was more misleading, Street Fighter, or this pile of vomit.

The acting is sub-par, out of Van Damme's performances, this is his worst, not only that, but it also has the worst bad guy he's ever faced, this dude looks like if Bret Hart f*cked one of the bad guys from Battlefield Earth, and they had a bastard child, all he does is scream, grunt, yell, and makes faces like a dumbass, this guy is so horrible, he makes Brian Thompson as Shao Kahn in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation look like an Academy Award winner.

The fight scenes are some of the worst in Van Damme's filmography, the choreography is very sluggish, and the end fight between Van Damme and the villain is lacking, it's sad because this was after Bloodsport came out, and that movie had great fight scenes for a JCVD flick, I was really expecting more from the guy, but I got nothing in return.

The music is atrocious, the cyborg effects look cheap, and there's this odd moment where the villain captures Van Damme, beats him to death, and crucifies him, then he has flashbacks of when the bad guy killed his wife and kid, took his stepdaughter, and made her his bitch, and this has to be one of the most unintentionally hilarious parts of the film, Van Damme kicks the cross down, he's cawing like a crow, and making faces like a dumbass, I was laughing so hard, I almost fell off my seat, this moment is so laughably bad, it makes the "OH MY GOD!" scene from Troll 2 look like a work of art.

Cyborg is a lousy action sci-fi movie, I do NOT recommend this for action movie fans, nor fans of JCVD, my advice is: ignore this movie like roadkill down the street.

The cons:
-Terrible fight scenes

FInal rating: 0/10.
steve c

September 26, 2009
thundarr gone wild. forgot bout all the dead bodies everywhere and barbed wire torture scenes.. pretty twisted for 1989 but way cheesed out. the main bad guy is one scary looking mofo.
August 1, 2009
Another one of those movies that didn't fare well at the BO, my classification is "B" movie for it is in the library.
shinyhed
May 1, 2009
no, van damme isn't the cyborg. although i can see why you'd think that since HE'S A PUNCHING AND KICKING MACHINE......sorry. i get carried away.....
crystalwilkins2002us
July 21, 2008
I've seen this movie good action movie one of many of the Jean Claude Damme movie I remember seeing and liking.