Cyborg Reviews

½ September 5, 2007
Another Terminator style plot line and a Mad Max rip of sorts, its not too bad for an early effort, when I was young I watched it purely for the action and martial arts sequences, it hasn't got much else. The main baddie is pretty evil looking and as usual the final showdown at the end of every Jean Claude film is a martial arts fest and pretty cool.
DragonEyeMorrison
½ September 28, 2009
Pero que?
½ September 14, 2009
The worst Van Damme movie I've seen, and I've seen nearly all of his
DerekA101
½ September 3, 2008
If Jean Claude Van Dame were a little bit younger, then he would've had a more successful career in this generation. Prime example: Cyborg.

This movie is so bad on so many different levels. I swear they were running on a $100 budget after JCVD's salary.

The sound was awful, the camera work bad, the background and props looked like a middle school play, the graphics were low standards even for 1989, and the worst was the acting! The bad guy just raised his arms and screamed AAARGH! Wow, that's menacing.

It's nice to watch JCVD round house kick his way through a movie... but it's sad to watch the guy he hits NOT sell the fight and then for the sound to be a half second off.

Geez, kill me now.... I'd rather watch a whole season of crap like Laguna Beach than watch this movie again.
deano
March 20, 2007
Incredible ripoff of Mad Max 2: Road Warrior and Blade Runner where Jean-Claude Van Damme fights alone against the dangerous and reckless gang in his knife-fighting and martial arts scenes.
sanjurosamurai
January 25, 2007
eh, not one of his best
garyX
December 30, 2006
Another inept action flick from JCVD, this time with a hopelessly dimwitted and cliched sci-fi spin. Cheap and stupid.
½ June 26, 2008
I dunno.... my least favorite of van dammes when he still had an career.
DrLappos
May 27, 2007
cool.
qtmemoe
½ April 18, 2007
I only give this thing half a star as I am unable to give it none without having been marked as not rating it. Horrible. So bad one wonders if it was done like this on purpose.
April 18, 2007
Villian stolen from Once Upon A Time in The West
July 15, 2014
A film that is mostly enjoyable for its sheer idiocy and awfulness, Cyborg blends bad acting together with cliches from cyberpunk and dystopian sci-fi to create a martial-arts action film that thinks its intelligent while be thoroughly brain-dead. If you're looking for loads of laughs and late 80s martial arts shenanigans, then you just might enjoy Cyborg. If not, then I would avoid it....
January 2, 2013
Post apocalyptic sci-fi action-er. Cyborg is cheesed out entertainment that may be so bad it's decent or just entertaining. Did you know that they took the abandoned concept for Masters of the Universe 2 and this was the result? There are way worse Van Damme movies.
½ February 9, 2012
Telemundo has brought the honor for us viewers to see the film Cyborg. Cyborg is a cheap knockoff of the Terminator with what looks like weaker acting and brief signs of intelligence. The film Cyborg is not even about the Cyborg, but about Jean Claude Van Damme kicking butt. The film is set in a post-apocalyptic world were nothing were signs of civilization are nowhere to be found except in the background. A cyborg is sent on a mission to find some scientist for a cure, but discovers a group of hoodlums and mutants with one pretty girl. The film then switches to Gibson (Van Damme) as he fights the mutants and wins. The film is entertainingly bad and fun right around the end, but my favorite scene was the blasphemous (to some) crucifixion of Gibson. Will he manage to get out of this situation? Chances are really high in Cyborg.
½ March 8, 2011
would be much better an action movie had the music been done by an industrial band and the introductory voice-over been omitted.

some people will only see failure, where i see potential. sad, really.
September 18, 2009
In a post-apocolyptic future, scientists are struggling to save what's left of mankind, so they send a cyborg named Pearl Prophet (Dayle Haddon) to retrieve the information in New York City. She is soon spotted by vicious pirates lead by the sadistic Fender Tremolo (Vincent Klyn), who desires what the scientists are after for his own gain. While trying to escape, her companion is mortally wounded, telling her to flee and find a slinger, someone who has experience in dealing with pirates. This slinger comes in the form of Gibson Rickenbacker (Jean-Claude Van Damme) who also has a secret vendetta with Tremelo and his gang.

While the storyline seems bland in comparison to Sci-Fi's nowadays, you have to look into when this film was made and how Sci-Fi's were presented. For the late-eighties, Cyborg worked and had some interesting and evil-looking characters to boot. The characters of Vincent Klyn and Ralf Moeller were probably the most intimidating that Van Damme had faced in his career in cinema. That icy-cold stare that Tremelo possessed was right on par, while his band of merry ol' pirates seemed like they were hopped up on some sort of meth/steriod based product.

The production was dreary, with a brooding sense of no "fucking" escape; environments were in disarray and afflicted with death. A quick scene involved a nude male and female corpse crucified back-to-back on what looked like a telephone pole amongst a crumbling city at the beginning. Jean-Claude Van Damme doesn't have much dialogue, or anyone for that matter, but he does deal out some punishment to his foes. Maybe not as glamorous as his future works, but he gets the job done with a few kicks here and there. Cyborg is pretty much a straight-forward, unrelenting, claustrophobic sense-of-despair of a film, and if you can get past the dodgy flashbacks that Gibson experiences, you'll find a gem in this.
½ May 18, 2010
Post apocalyptic action flick. Not as thought provoking as other movies of that genre, but if you're a fan it could be worth checking out.
September 26, 2009
thundarr gone wild. forgot bout all the dead bodies everywhere and barbed wire torture scenes.. pretty twisted for 1989 but way cheesed out. the main bad guy is one scary looking mofo.
½ August 1, 2009
Another one of those movies that didn't fare well at the BO, my classification is "B" movie for it is in the library.
May 1, 2009
no, van damme isn't the cyborg. although i can see why you'd think that since HE'S A PUNCHING AND KICKING MACHINE......sorry. i get carried away.....