Cyrus

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Cyrus Reviews

Anthony L

February 4, 2013
Cyrus's production is totally misleading. I'm guessing many people were disappointed that instead of getting a low-brow dumb comedy they actually got something tender and quite lovely. It's more drama than comedy, it's the cringe factor that confuses the mind that it is something funny when really it's just uncomfortably odd. A very pleasant surprise, as I was expecting a stupid Step-Brothers type comedy, with few laughs. I may not have got the laughs but I thought it was brilliant writing. How a film can have a grown up man boy as the central character and still be really romantic is down to the good script and good performances.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

December 31, 2011
First Review of 2012 "Cyrus":
The fantastic ensemble really give off the feeling that they genuinely are a disfunctional family because of amazing chemistry with eachother and still manage to bring some laughs with it. The Duplas' have created a smart and believable movie with a simple yet entertaining central idea.
Joseph B

October 25, 2011
Sneaky funny. John C. Reilly delivers as usual, Jonah Hill is a hilarious creep.
Lucas M

June 22, 2011
The Duplass Brothers, show a good film with a good screenplay and direction. A unexpected film, funny and entertaining. Fresh.
Nicki M

July 30, 2011
Not what I expected (I mean you see John C Reilly and Jonah Hill on a DVD cover you kind of expect a comedy), and while this was funny in a black way, it was not the type of funny you would necessarily expect.
This was quite a twisted little story about what happens when you date a woman who is too close to her adult son. Marisa Tomei and Jonah Hill are kind of creepy in the inappropriate closeness they share (even an implied shared shower), but she's attractive and he seems friendly, so it's put down to quirkiness. Soon turns out the son is quite disturbed...
Nicely acted movie, I enjoyed it, and there were a few laughs, though it was a more serious topic than I anticipated. Don't watch it looking for laughs, but if you like something a little deeper and out of the normal, this could be for you.
Michael G

July 18, 2010
Cyrus isn't a bad movie but its not a very good one either. Its got a few legitimately funny moments. Jonah Hill doesn't do his usual non-blinking, one-trick pony shtick but you still have to look at his creepy ass. The cast was generally decent but the story was pretty predictable and I do not give a shit right now...
Julie B

June 17, 2011
Sweet little film with nuanced performances that make it feel awkwardly real.
Tim S

May 30, 2011
Ugh. Reilly, Tomei, Keener, and even Hill deserve better. And I don't mean that in terms of the script because as this movie clearly shows, they can make anything work. I mean in terms of the filmmaking itself, these guys deserve better. I thought we were past the whole things looking indie because of unnecessary zooms and shitty lighting. The movie was okay, but falls completely on it's face with a sappy ending even when you have this cast doing their best to make it real.
Michael S

April 29, 2010
Though an undeniably slight work, "Cyrus" is a highly enjoyable little film from the Duplass Brothers. Believable characters and writing, and the perfectly eclectic blend of laughs, uncomfortable situations, and (serious) heart make for a very likable film. Ninety minutes well spent!
blkbomb
blkbomb

May 28, 2011
Cyrus is a very amusing look at three different relationships, with most of the laughs coming from the John, Cyrus relationship. I like seeing comedies like this. Its such a break from the majority of comedies that come out. I love everyone involved in this movie also, so that helps. But I think the reason for the majority of bad reviews from people is because they go into it expecting a movie like Superbad or Step Brothers. Cyrus is just not that type of comedy and if you go in knowing that I believe it's easy to like.
Kristijonas F

March 15, 2011
A fiery little comedy with an uncharacteristically human heart.
Jennifer X

May 1, 2011
Awkward humor abound! Reilly and Jonah Hill make a great pair, but Marisa Tomei really impressed me as the play-it-straight lady.
Jay H

March 9, 2011
What an odd film. Though John C. Reilly in the lead struggles as he always has to show any acting skill whatsoever, Jonah Hill is quite good in his role as Marisa Tomei's son. The thing that made this film as good as it was, though, was the odd plot. You can't help but chuckle to yourself the whole film as these absurd events keep popping up one after another, and in that sense the film is very watchable. But it's not totally comedic. The film kinda falls at the end as it tries to make a dramatic, emotional conclusion out of a supremely comedic plot, leaving the viewer a bit confused. All in all, this film is a good one for the most part, but don't expect a masterpiece. After all, this is John C. Reilly we're dealing with.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

March 7, 2011
What do you get when you put 3 losers together to make a movie. Answer: Cyrus. Is John Relly ever going to make a good movie. My only question is what one of my friends on Flixster recommended this movie to me, ahhhhhh. Trash is Trash half a star.
Spencer S

July 13, 2010
This isn't exactly a comedy, even if you look at the subtle nuances. Jonah Hill is creepy, we can all agree on that point, but he could have pushed the performance to make the comedy more organic. Forgetting that point, this was a great film. The relationship between Reilly and Tomei was so original, and yet relatable at the same time. The awkward and overly emotional bond between Cyrus and his mother: I've seen it. I've felt uncomfortable. We all have at one time or another. That's what so great about this plot: it doesn't overreach, or tries to prove itself with a bunch of hooplah. Enjoyable.
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 7, 2011
A really good indie film that I really loved. It was cool to see Jonah Hill in a more serious role & John C. Reilly is a good actor as well. Marissa Tomei was just lovely in this movie & gave the film a nice & sweet feel. Overall, it was a great film :)
Thomas J

February 7, 2011
Many times I felt uncomfortable watching this movie. More strange than believable. I feel Jonah Hill's performance of Cyrus was more creepy than needed. This is another role for John C. Reily to show his talents while most of the rest of the cast show they wanted to cash their obviously small checks.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 14, 2010
Okay, first of all, a couple of disclaimers: the traielrs are really misleading, and that will probably alienate some people, especially the ones who don't like surprises. Two: this is my first foray into the world of Mumblecore. I can't say whether or not I'll become a fan of the genre, but I did like this.

A big reason for my liking of this is because it is an indie film, and probably all the better because of it. I mean, yeah, according to the trailers, this looks like it will be a fun over the top farce, and yeah, that could have been fine, but I think it works better like it is. This is not quite a perfect film, but it's still pretty solid, enjoyable, and provides plenty to chew on.

The plot involves a lonely and depressed everyman who connects with a kind and understanding woman who is attractive, but genuinely likes him for who he is, mostly his rawness and honesty- which are great ways to describe the film. Things get interesting when the woman's son Cyrus comes into the picture- he is a very clingy individual whose issues make for some very awkward hurdles for the growing relationship.

The casting and performances are absolutely brilliant. I really can't picture anyone else in any of these roles. It's as if they were written specifically for these actors. That may not be true, but it sure seems that way. Reilly is a depressed schlub who you do really care about. Tomei proves once again that she actually is a talented actress (why does everyone always seem to treat her Oscar win like a fluke or something?), Keener once again shines in a balanced supporting role, but the true surprise here is Jonah Hill. This is a role unlike any of the others he has had, and I think it may be one of his best if not THE best. With this role he shows some really chops, depth, and range. He is creepy, awkward, intense, and childlike- sometiems all at once. This could have just been a really comedically monstrous antagonist type role, but instead it's the type of stuff that is gripping and has you really wondering the truth behind this guy.

As stated above, this isn't a perfect film. The ending is maybe a bit too neat and starts to get slightly mainstream, and there might be a bit too much vagueness as far as the backstory of Molly and Cyrus, but other than that, this is a wonderfully dark and twisted black dramedy. Yes, it is a comedy...sorta. It's just not a mainstream grossout one. Characters, emotions, and relationships are the focus here, and that's the true heart here.

I recommend this. I've given disclaimers and caveats about it, so watch it at your own discretion (as you should with any film), but seriously. Even if you don't like the style or pacing, see it for the acting. This is some tremendous stuff.
MovieMaster12
MovieMaster12

January 21, 2011
***

Can a needy guy share a beautiful woman with her equally needy grown up son? Well, it's gonna be tough; especially if those two vying screwballs are John C. Reilly and Jonah Hill; and that woman is the voluptuous and alluring Marisa Tomei.

Of course from trailers and synopses, Cyrus looks like an Appatow-esque raunch-fest starring an idyllic pairing of two curly haired hell raisers in Reilly (Dewey Cox) and Hill (Superbad). And the premise itself could be a Step Brothers semi-sequel. (Stepson, perhaps.) But this Inde, realist psycho-dramedy only masqueraded as frat boy, lamebrain, cannon-fodder to fill seats, though that is hardly what sells the movie.

The casting of Inde princess Tomei should have been a dead give away that this flick had more on its mind than testicles, drum sets, and amateur bunk bed building. (All the activities!) From the get-go we're introduced to a relationship wounded, self-proclaimed "Shrek" named John (Reilly) who falls for the only girl at a party who gives him the time of day, Molly (Tomei). Before long he meets her creepy-kind, twenty-one-year-old son Cyrus (Hill) who lives at home.

Hill still recalls a live action Eric Cartman, except this time it's not his usual foul mouth that triggers the match, but his manipulative disposition. Cyrus wants mama to himself and moves most passively at breaking up the courtship. (A disappearing pair of Nikes here, an off-hand comment there.) Moreover, the film's sense-of-humor is part of that same design -- odd and absurd as opposed to belly laughs. (If you're the kind of dude that finds Hill standing in a sleeper T-shirt with a glazed over look and a butcher knife funny, then soups on.)

I don't know maybe I'm alone on that. Though the movie's most interesting aspect is its rather insightful meditation on the nature of dependence. We have the son afraid to grow up and the lonely man looking for a reason to be. Molly provides the crutch for both of these emotional cripples, and either would be lost without her. Brothers Jay and Mark Duplass (who wrote and directed) succeed far better with the duo's psycho-analytical duel than they would have with an actual one on the front lawn with rakes and golf clubs (ahem, Will Ferrel).

Cyrus is less for lovers of comedy mania than lovers of comedy that cares. The convenient pairing of Hill and Reilly isn't for raising hell, but winning hearts. Unlike most of its kind, there is a humanist idea at the heart of this comedy partnership.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

January 23, 2010
Cast: John C. Reilly, Jonah Hill, Marisa Tomei, Catherine Keener, Matt Walsh

Director: Jay Duplass, Mark Duplass

Summary: A wry look at modern love and family dysfunction. John C. Reilly plays a divorced man who thinks he's found just the right woman (Marisa Tomei) to help him recover and move on. Unfortunately, the woman's son, played by Jonah Hill, has no interest in allowing another man into their lives -- a stance he proceeds to demonstrate in a variety of obnoxious ways.

My Thoughts: "The movie is very funny without trying to be. It was an effortless act by John C. Reilly and Jonah Hill. Just their certain looks or Jonah's creepy behavior made it as funny as it was. But the film is as much a drama as it is a comedy. Molly and Cyrus have an unhealthy relationship that has not only crippled her in having a normal relationship with a man, but it also has crippled him in having a normal life with friends, a job, or maybe having a relationship of his own. They are dependent on each other, but you also feel a little resentment in there as well. I thought it was a great character piece. Worth the watch, and the performances were great by everyone."