The Da Vinci Code - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Da Vinci Code Reviews

May 19, 2016
Tom Hanks makes this movie boring. While the book and the story is engaging, most of the cast seems to be tired and out of range...
½ May 9, 2016
While it's plot is intriguing, it is hampered by a dull and uninteresting pace.
½ July 23, 2010
I had attempted to watch this film a few years ago before I had the book and was completely lost. After reading the book and re-watching the film another time I now love both! The movie stays true to the book except for a few detail changes but the story is very fascinating.
April 25, 2016
Solid adaptation of the book, really brought some of the drier bits and explanations to life.
April 18, 2016
The BEST example of a movie not being as good (not even close here) as the book. Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code is one of the best literary achievements of all time. My second favorite book. And there's NO WAY you can present even a smidgen of the book's content into one movie. I hated the movie when I first saw it, and watching it again, I hate it now. It's cheesy (the visualizations and ghostly figures of times-past overlaying the modern-day? Hokey as shit). The way the film has to dumb things down for the audience is a slap in your face. The pacing pretty much stunk. I tried SO HARD to see it as a new entity, not based on any book; Couldn't do it. Just couldn't. Anybody that says they won't read it because they didn't care for the movie is doing themselves one huge disservice. READ THE BOOK. It's amazing. SKIP THE FLICK. It sucks.
April 17, 2016
Don't need no book to tell me this is horrible.
April 11, 2016
Although there was action, suspense, and adventure in this thriller- it lacked depth, excitement, and believability. Not Tom Hanks or Ron Howard's best work. Entertaining enough for one viewing though.
½ April 9, 2016
This film never really finds its forum and fumbles over itself with airport paperback twists that hinder the plot more than they help. Tom Hanks is one of my favourite actors, and I think he is great at what he does, but he just never felt right in this film. In fact no one in this film ever felt like they were right for there role, except Ian McKellen who is quite good even though his character suffers from poor writing as the plot develops over the course of the film. All in all, the very bookish twists and turns of the film never feel natural in the film, although I could see them working better had it been in a book, but it just doesn't translate well to the big screen. The actual film making here is quite good, and the cinematographic, score and overall direction of the film is spot on, its simply that this film lacks any humanity and it feels more like that characters are being held by a puppeteer throughout the film rather than organically stringy the narrative forward. At the end of the day, its an intriguing film with an interesting story to tell, if you can get past the wooden characters and overly long run time this film is enjoyable.
½ November 27, 2008
Ludicrous in action on both paper and film, bit oddly entertaining nonetjeless.
½ October 2, 2012
Ive never read the books so I never really wanted to watch this film but 6 years after its release I watch it and found it entertaining, The story was brilliant and had some good twists in the right places, All the cast were great, My only problem was I found most of the story hard to follow and understand, I eventually understood but I still have a few questions that I could of done with answering, But I still enjoyed the film.
February 25, 2016
the book was great but the movie disappointed me
½ February 16, 2016
This felt like a bad European National Treasure. I just couldn't get into this film. It was boring, I didn't like the characters, and nothing was ever explained well. That's sad because I thought I would have liked this movie.
1/1/16
February 15, 2016
In order to have great time with this movie, you have to be able to accept the sheer absurdity of its plot. Yes, it makes absolutely no sense and yes, it can be offensive if you are a religious fanatic. But the thing is... this is a movie. It's a fiction, a form of entertainment, and you should never take itself too seriously (unless a film is based on true events. This is not.) Most movie plots are absurd in the first place, and that's one of the reasons why we watch movies. Despite being overly long and completely ludicrous, I found The Da Vinci Code quite entertaining; I liked the mystery of it, I liked all the running and solving puzzles, and I liked Ron Howard's direction. Is it one of the greatest films of all time? No. But is it a fun movie with moments of genuine suspense and some intrigue? You bet.
February 14, 2016
I wanted to like this movie so much. Interesting premise but super confusing.
½ October 28, 2008
Io non ho letto il libro ed ora capisco perché ci sia stato così tanto interesse attorno a questa opera.
Comunque, senza andare ad impelagarmi in spinose discussioni, devo dire che il film mi è piaciuto, anche perché la trama é veramente molto intrigante.

In realtà in certi punti ho avuto la netta sensazione che qualcosa fosse stato tagliato via, ma c'è da rendersi conto che i tempi cinematografici sono per forza di cose molto differenti da quelli di un libro. A vederlo con me c'erano persone che conoscono bene il romanzo e mi hanno detto che le modifiche rispetto trama originale tutto sommato ci potevano anche stare (alcune più e alcune meno).

Ron Howard in regia si è comportato al solito molto bene, così come la Tautou e McKellen, invece Tom Hanks a mio avviso non è stato brillantissimo.
October 28, 2007
I haven't read the novel and probably never will . . . this is just silly plot twists and labored exposition. What's worse is that the filmmakers take all this goofiness so seriously, the result is an agonizingly dull movie.
January 27, 2016
A perfect example of why writers shouldn't worry about getting novel-to-film adaptations to feel "just like the book." For God's sakes, movies and novels are different mediums. Tidal waves of expository dialogue and heavy-handed flashbacks do not make for good filmic storytelling techniques. I don't really care how much of a bestseller the book is. Some things just can't translate from book to screen. That being said, this is a movie made watchable by the impressive expertise of nearly every other department at work. From Ron Howard's stylish vision, to Salvatore Totino's brilliant imagery, to Hans Zimmer's undeniably kick-ass score, and the cast members' worthy performances, "The Da Vinci Code" is a seemingly enjoyable-looking Christmas Tree with all the trimmings and decorations in order. It just so happens that, underneath all the ornaments and garland, lies a narrative trunk molded out of pure garbage.
½ March 9, 2013
Tom Hanks goes in search of the holy grail.
½ January 19, 2016
This movie was super interesting, smart, and fun. The big twist at the end was not very much the best, but okay. The acting was spot on. It was definitely a worth watching movie.