Daisies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Daisies Reviews

August 15, 2015
One of the first films of the Czech New Wave Movement and easily one of the best.
½ August 5, 2015
Actively rebellious (both politically and in terms of the filmmaking) and unapologetically taking absurd comedy to a new level, Daisies is also clearly feminist in its focus on a pair of women who do whatever the hell they want (including, even, warping the fabric of reality). It's a thoroughly compelling and hilariously bizarre film that spits in the face of convention and defies sexist social mores, succeeding largely due to its fearless nature and game performances.
½ July 31, 2015
One of the most memorable
July 28, 2015
Kaleidoscopic, cutesy and unashamedly experimental, Vera Chytilova's controversial classic is a fine example of the Czechoslovakian New Wave at its best.
Two frolicking female pranksters are slapped into a world of flickering filters, high-speed stills and salubrious sunbathing spots, on a comic adventure that makes no sense, yet never ceases to intoxicate.
In both style and form, Chytilova's film harks back to the camera trickery and slapstick gimmickry of silent cinema, but with a cartoonish soundtrack to boot. If you're a true Cinephile, and the first half hour of Daisies doesn't make you smile, chances are you probably have no soul.
Absurdist awesomeness meets artistic nostalgia.
April 18, 2015
A seriously entertaining film centered on youth, nihilism, and most prominently feminism. Wonderfully made with interesting special effects and an amazing sound design. I'm not sure why anyone feels it's important to point out that it's incoherent. Like, way to go, you must've watched the movie. Not everything can be Rocky IV. It seems like most of the negative reviews neglect to analyze the film any deeper than face value, which is a shame. But I suppose that's often the case with feminist cinema.
March 3, 2015
Daisies has to be one of the most experimental and crazy film I have seen in my life. It's very graphic and somehow fascinating even though nothing make sense at first sight, the film plays like a violent critic of our spoiled society and the consumerism we indulge so carelessly into. Definitely a film that has influenced a lot of future film directors for it's radical esthetic. A rarity that truly deserves a viewing.
September 29, 2014
A chaotic, absurd farce. Its humor (if any) was lost on me.
½ December 15, 2011
Two pouty-lipped girls decide to act spoiled. They succeed.

Sometimes visually creative and interesting but never compelling. Also rather food-obsessed.
½ July 13, 2011
This film is like the weird kid on the block, at first you may find him interesting, but then the more he talks or acts, the more you grow exhausted, until you decide to lose his trail. After a while, though, you'll start thinking about him again and the more you do, the more you find the things he said or done to make some sense. Weird kid or weird record you listened back when you were a kid, take your pick (mine was Bjork's Debut).
May 13, 2014
Upon deciding the world is spoiled, two beauties named Julie decide to be spoiled too. The result is a psychedelic feminist romp full of subversive allegories about women reclaiming the apple, emasculation of phallic foods, blatant overconsumption, & the wake of destruction from merely being human. What seems on the surface as a surrealist misadventure is ultimately a deeply sobering think-piece about the future of our species. To simply say I loved this film is to not do it justice.
March 31, 2014
Monday, March 31, 2014

(1967) Daisies
(In Czechoslovakia with English subtitles)
SOCIAL COMMENTARY/ SURREALISM

Plot less movie with a message, I initially was incapable to understand had it not been for the information by TCM, co-written and directed by Vera Chytilová, using two young teenage girls named Marie(Ivana Karbanová and Jitka Cerhová) going through life, without a single care in the world as it's focal point. As they're babbling about some things I'm incapable to understand, which viewers have to be familiar with in regarding historical leaders that affected Czech Republic. As the two girls are used as 'metaphors' in regarding the slow destruction of the world, since much of the world leaders are 'spoiled', mimicking their behavior.

Footnote: The food wasting scenes was what got this movie banned in Czechoslovakia in the first place, which somehow symbolizes(a very personal painful scene to watch) how we as people can treat food in real life as we speak.

2.5 out of 4 stars
½ March 30, 2014
I've heard this film being praised several times and its director recently passed away so now's the time for me to check it out. As I expected it's a strange surreal film which eschews traditional narrative for a series of strange. cinematically playful vignettes involving two young, somewhat kooky women, many of it involving food of somekind. I don't claim to know what it all means exactly but I'm thinking it's an anti-bourgeois film of some sort. It's not for all tastes but it's a definite must-see for any student of film and for the cinematically adventurous.
½ August 9, 2011
Super babe jerk ladies!
February 13, 2014
I don't know exactly what is going on, and I'm okay with that.
October 26, 2013
a feminist statement
October 22, 2013
Brilliant. Wild. Crazy. Decadent. Divine. DAISIES is so full of ideas it is ready to explode. Can't believe TCM is showing this masterpiece of New Czech Cinema. Decadent and anti-bourgeois, DAISIES perfectly captures the spirit and promise of mid-communism before the Russian tanks came rolling in. Extraordinary, profound and influential. Are there any more superlatives I can lay on DAISIES?
October 19, 2013
A peculiar little film that does things with cinema and film that I've never seen done before. Not that I've seen all movies, or anything, but I'll still consider this a unique excursion; a little coming-of-age fantasy that blows by like the puffs of a dandelion.

It works as both character sketch--albeit an extremely absurd character sketch--and as a form of social commentary.
September 12, 2013
This is not just a film, it is pure art~!
May 31, 2013
A fascinating watch, and completely, by a long shot, the most savage piece of cinema I've ever seen. Could be seen as a feminist statement, a food devouring piece of nonsense, or an existential portrait of modern existence. A masterpiece, and indeed a hell of a discovery.