Dr. Who: Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dr. Who: Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D. Reviews

May 30, 2015
this is one of the rare times where the sequel is better than the first pic.
November 26, 2013
This Sequel (That's Also A Remake Of A Doctor Who Serial), Is Better Than It's Predecessor, It Has A More Cinematic Feel & Captures The Adventure A Lot Better. This May Be Because The Plot Is Better. Peter Cushing Replaces Hartnell Once Again To Remake The Story, "Daleks Invasion Of Earth". Here The Doctor And His Crew Must Face The Daleks In The Year 2150 A.D. As They Try To Dominate The Future Earth. Performances Are Better Due To A Better Script & Plot, It Does Has Some Unintentionally Funny Moments. What Is Produced Is An Above Average Film, Which Entertains.
May 4, 2013
Dalek's Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D. is the succesful sequel to the previous film Dr. Who and the Daleks. I guess I should go on record and admit that I'm not the most fanatical Dr. Who fan. I have watched the show and I enjoyed it when I did, but I'm a die-hard fan or anything. I also (as of this writing) haven't seen this sequel's predecessor, but I'm told that it doesn't matter, so I'll go with that. Overall, I kind of enjoyed the movie, although I was bored a lot of times with it. I think some of the tone of it was aimed more at children than adults, which is no surprise, being that the film was a big hit with kids in the U.K. The story also wasn't all that much about Dr. Who himself, although I do enjoy Peter Cushing's performance. It bothers me a little that he literally calls himself Dr. Who instead of The Doctor, but whatever. The film is definitely dated and doesn't hold up that well, but if you're a Dr. Who fan or you're a fan of old school science fiction, you'll dig it.
February 23, 2013
Honestly for a story that bases off one from the 1st Doctor (William Hartnell) Era I liked it, Not only were the Daleks Deliciously Technicolored by rank, we get to see more of their tech, power, I also love the way how they portrayed the "Robomen" than they did in the show, don't get me wrong, my heart is with the series, but honestly Peter Cushing makes an amazing Doctor, if there was an extra regeneration between 1 and 2 I would make Peter Cushing that regeneration. The girl who played Susan was absolutely adorable. Too bad they never got to the 3rd film
August 11, 2010
I like the look and feel of the Peter Cushing Doctor Who movies, but they are fairly boring from a story point of view.
½ November 15, 2012
A disgrace to the original show.
August 5, 2012
The On Her Majesty's Secret Service of the Doctor Who world, the two Peter Cushing-Dalek films have seen occasional reappraisal that labels them as "coolly kitsch" or "lovably camp". In reality, of course, they're complete pants.

The Doctor Who TV series actually had a considerable integrity, despite being made on a budget of 50p and never managing to shake off the "Kid's Telly" tag. Here Cushing plays the Doctor of the title, his surname actually becoming "Who". The Tardis, his sophisticated space-time machine, is now "Tardis", a naff-looking thing with a Yale lock on the door. Around the time this was made a "Carry On" actor would do his only television work in the Doctor Who series " Peter Butterworth as the Meddling Monk. For the film we got Bernard Cribbins as P.C. Tom Campbell, a similar character to the one that married the Doctor's granddaughter on TV. Though as the film Susan is only ten that would be inappropriate here.

Both films (the other " Doctor Who and the Daleks, Cushing joined by Roy Castle) were based directly on actual TV stories, the novelty being they were in colour. By the time the second came around the novelty was over and it didn't do the business of the first, despite being someway the better film. Perhaps this is because the original serial " The Dalek Invasion of Earth " was an attempt to mount a film's epic scale on a TV budget. To this end it transfers better to the medium, and its setting (future Earth as opposed to the first film's alien planet Skaro) is more accessible to audiences.

The big failure is, of course, send-up. Some of the series' b-movie concepts (mutated nuclear war victims get robot-armoured shells and invade Earth to steal its core) are ludicrous, but played straight can be rewarding. The films make a mockery of the whole concept, showing a total lack of respect for their source material. My advice is: if you don't like 'em, don't make 'em. Bearing in mind the Daleks were hot merchandise properties at the time, this is a cynical cash-in on the nation's youth. There's even a shameless product placement for Sugar Puff Cereals.

All involved are capable of better. Peter Cushing, respected in adult horror films, here opts for a no-effort parody of TV Doctor William Hartnell's performance. There is no trace of depth or consideration for the part he has chosen. Full credit does go to Ray Brooks, Andrew Keir and Philip Madoc for at least trying to take it seriously. Madoc was rewarded with four seperate roles in the television series, most notably as mad scientist Solon (1976) and The War Lord (1969). On the plus side, direction in terms of camera angles is actually very, very good, but is offset by incidental music so loud and outdated that it works against the mood entirely. Think SF drama with Carry On music and you're almost there.

Bright and colourful, (including a funky red Dalek) the film certainly has visual appeal. But the Daleks' voices, their volume increased considerably, are extremely grating. They also lack their trademark warmth and charm, being little more than robots. Their weaponry was scheduled to be flame-throwers, but was disallowed due to the young audience. This is perhaps fortunate as their gas sprays aid the Nazi allegory. Best bit? The exploding shed.

Trite jazz, lame comic setpieces and binliner outfits, the film is on TV virtually every Bank Holiday in England. And you know the strangest part? As bad as it is, come next Bank Holiday I'll probably be tempted to see it again.
May 25, 2012
I first saw this movie as a kid back in the 80's....it's not as good as the series or the Daleks deserve but it's better than the first film and should be enjoyed as a solid bit of cult british sci-fi......audiences raised on Independence Day and Aliens may not be impressed but for anyone who grew up with those menacing tin cans then this will be enjoyable if not fantastic....
February 9, 2012
If you are a true lover of Scifi you can't miss this movie I remember watching it on a Saturday afternoon as a kid it was good then, and is still good now. "it what all Scifi should be"
January 5, 2012
Well, that was . . . interesting.
December 28, 2011
Interesting in that it's kind of close to the TV series, but not exactly, and done much more opulently than the original. It would be as if a movie of one of those Chinese Harry Potter ripoff books was done with 10 times the money of the authorized Hollywood versions.
September 13, 2011
Better than the first film, but mostly because of Bernard Cribbins. Peter Cushing is better as Dr. Who as well, and the fact that this is based on a better TV serial than the first movie was helps as well. This one is based on The Dalek Invasion of Earth...but this movie, while being in color and having way better visuals and effects...lacks the heart of William Hartnell and the cheap old rickety black and white TV Who. In that sense it doesn't differ much from the first film...but the TV story here had a real emotional core...and its lost in the film translation. The Cushing Films are an interesting addition to the Doctor Who world, but they certainly aren't canonical, and they are more about the special effects than character or story...but the visuals are stunning, even for mid sixties. These films still look good even today.
November 16, 2011
I would like to see it as soon as I find it!
Directors Cat
November 2, 2011
The sequel to the painfully heartless Doctor Who and the Daleks is a vast improvement in terms of cinematic excitement. The action sequences are more thrilling and for what it is it is actually quite scary at times. This film adaption of another classic Who serial "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" ultimately has a charm and bright classic feeling to it that the original never possesed.
August 5, 2011
This is a really entertaining movie, which I think betters the first.
It has an amazing cast, tonnes of action and explosions, and follows the TV serial very well, whilst still being different.
Although it was poorly received when originally brought out, I think it is a wonderful movie that shouldn't be forgotten.
½ July 29, 2009
The Cush is the Doctor and does battle with the Daleks with help from Bernard Cribbens where they must go to WATFORD of all places to give them a good kicking.
September 5, 2010
I've never watched the Dr. Who series, but seeing this movie makes me want to start. It's got a great story, and cool special effects and everything, I really liked it.
February 19, 2010
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie.....i think that andrew keir, bernard cribbins, peter cushing, roberta tovey, ray brooks play good roles/parts thorughout this movie......i think that the director of this sci-fi/fantasy/adventure movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect thorughout this movie....i think that this is a good dr.who adventure its got a great cast throughout this movie....i think that this is a great dr.who movie
December 19, 2009
Based on a story from the BBC TV serial "Doctor Who". Dr. Who and his companions arrive on Earth in the year 2150 AD, only to discover that the planet has been invaded and its population enslaved by the dreaded Daleks. The time travellers assist human resistance groups to foil the Daleks' plan to mine the Earth's core.
½ December 18, 2009
Watchable. Cushing isn't that good as the Doctor.