Damage Reviews

½ October 27, 2014
It attempted to be dark and haunting but in all it came off kind of sleepy and slow. I thought Irons was good but I've seen better work from Binoche.
ebs90
½ March 18, 2007
I remember seeing Damage ages ago, but I'm not sure why I feel like reviewing it just now. Meh, there must be a reason for my remembering it after so long.

I don't feel getting into the details of the story is enough to draw someone to the film because if it does, it might be for the wrong reasons... Every plot specification seems so small in comparison to the towering human drama unfolding. Damage is really about two people who, for whatever reason, just need something forbidden and hurtful to feel alive. It is as though their lives made them so unmotivated and sad that they need anything, even pain, to overcome that sadness. Jeremy Irons and Juliette Binoche's characters are forbidden to have a relationship, sexual or not, and yet they simply have to, against all circumstances, aware of the gigantic risks involved.

Probably, both characters ask themselves, what do those risks even really mean? Would it really be so terrible? Regardless of the fact that in the end the consequences really do prove terrible, theirs is an understandable situation, if only from their points of view. Both characters seem, and are damaged for various reasons, and their salvation seems to be more damage. A collision of pain that only between them can become pleasure. It's exhausting to watch this film, I remember that. But it's beautiful because it portrays how vital intimacy and understanding between humans is, and how enriching it can be. I mean, what do we live off, how do we give our lives meaning without relationships? We need to communicate, to put in common our experiences and fears and desires in order to evolve and enrich ourselves. How it happens in Damage is sad and pathetic but it's still crucial.

Miranda Richardson is great. She's just great. Juliette Binoche bothered me a little, but perhaps it was her incomprehensible character. Jeremy Irons, well, I can never say anything bad about him... here he is intense, damaged, and totally made stupid by his desperation. Just perfect.

Finally... erotic yes. sexy, oh my god, no.
arashxak
½ February 13, 2008
more later
Critique Threatt
June 12, 2010
Louis Malle's "Damage" basic premise is about an older man who is sexually attracted to a younger woman, both partners engage in an intense, erotic sexual relationship. Malle makes "Damage" more complex and more intriguing I couldn't help but be amazed as to what will happen next.

Jeremy Irons(who sort of reminds me of Daniel Day-Lewis) is just right for the role as the British government minister Dr. Stephen Fleming and so is Juliette Binoche as the dark, quiet very exotic Anna Barton. Some may felt the film's tone is slow and boring. Not me. "Damage" kept me locked in from start to finish. It is quite a great movie film lovers have to see.
October 28, 2009
There is a lack of originality in this and it drags on quite bit.
mvieaddict
½ January 30, 2009
Damage is one of the most deeply emotionally films I've seen,a true masterpiece of passion. The love scenes are hot, to say the least, and I'll never be able to look at Julliet Binochet again without remembering her in those scenes. Jeremy Irons does incredible work here,I love this gentleman acting, actually he steals the film with some over the top acting. However, it's Julliet Binochet who anchors this fine movie with her performance and her strong and quite impressive presence. I simply couldn't take my eyes off her whenever she was on screen for a simple reason: she was awesome.
DrLappos
½ August 31, 2007
Superb film, powerful and intense.
½ March 28, 2009
While I fail to completely understand the attraction Anna has for Stephen, and the sex scenes are overdramatic, this is a very well-made and well-directed film. There are some great lines throughout and much depth of both character and plot.
September 21, 2007
This dark tragedy captures the essence of human failings and lust. Acting is stallar across the board, and Jeremy Irons is fabulous.
½ September 4, 2007
Deeply disturbing love story about a man's obession with his son's fiancee ; stellar performances by Jeremy Irons & Juliet Binoche.
May 8, 2006
It was a strange film. Jeremy Irons is very sexy, but it was so strange to watch. The love scenes in the film were beyond strange, really not my idea of a good time, but hey I'd take Jeremy Irons any way possible. I would liked to have seen more character development for Irons' character, and not such strange mannerisms from Binoche. It needed more development all around. Plus a better climax and a much better resolution. But overall it was a decent film, by no account an outstanding film, but a decent one.
½ April 7, 2015
Thrilling tale of betrayal....sign Irons up for father of the year.
May 17, 2008
Lo mejor Miranda Richardson se roba la película incluso eclipsa a Binoche.
January 26, 2014
Damage people are dangerous.
December 17, 2012
The fusion of proper society and animalistic instinct make this film a sick and beautiful creation of what we know as "desire".
½ April 19, 2012
I was disappointed with Damage, particularly because the strong cast and positive critical reviews suggested it was something of a hidden gem in the world of cinema. Sadly, it fell short on many fronts.

Jeremy Irons, rarely an actor who disappoints, was miscast in this role, in my view. He plays a senior English politician with many years of experience, a wife and family. Anyone with any knowledge of the British political system knows it takes a very strong character, with willpower and the ability to resist temptation, to reach the top of the English political system, so the ease with which Juliette Binoche's character seduces and attracts Irons is unrealistic and annoying, quite frankly. Though Irons acts convincingly as always, his character is just wrong, and I'm surprised he took the role in the first place.

Binoche's character herself is also disappointing. Obviously, the director has aimed to make her as mysterious as possible, but there just isn't enough character development to make us care about her at all. Considering Irons and Binoche are advertised as the two stars of the film, their lack of chemistry and character development is a serious shortcoming in Damage.

More positive and memorable performances come from Rupert Graves and Miranda Richardson, Irons' son and wife respectively. Their characters are much more interesting to watch, making it a pity that they are only secondary in importance to Irons and Binoche.

That all said, the premise is pretty good, and their is some great direction from Louis Malle. Damage isn't a bad film, but it could have been so much better, Overall, I do not recommend it.
½ November 11, 2012
A completely devastating story in the way it unfolds before you.