20% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Orphan Black: Season 2

Dan in Real Life Reviews

Red L

February 16, 2014
"Dan in Real Life" is enjoyable - stories about falling love usually are. Not every movie needs to have the complications of "Hamlet".
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

November 30, 2011
Dan in Real Life suffers the usual family comedy film with overbearing clichés from many other films that came before it. I thought that this film was a wasted opportunity to make a film that would have great comedic bits, and be overall a fun, entertaining comedy. However, I found myself mostly bored with this, and not laughing all that much. I thought that Steve Carrell, who is usually really funny, was wasted here and that the rest of the cast just didn't cut it. I thought that Dan in Real Life could have been much better than this, and I felt that the jokes could have been better. Steve Carrell, like I said is wasted here, and I don't even know why this film has Dane Cook in it, aside from his role in Waiting, he's not funny as a comedian and actor. The film started with potential, and it was funny at times, but unfortunately, by the final act, everything including the jokes fall apart, and the film ends up being a total waste of time. I think this film could have been better if the screenwriters would have put a bit more effort into the script. After a while, the film becomes predictable, and you know what will happen next. As a viewer, you lose interest and end up not caring what happens next because we've seen it a hundred times before. This comedy leaves a lot to be desired and overall, it's boring, and I just couldn't get into it. I think that this film could have been better, but it was not to be. Not one of Steve Carrell's best.
Lady D

September 22, 2007
My predicted rating: 3.5

This isn't a Comedy in the sense that you'll be laughing all the way through, but it is a relatable Comedy with comical parts. Those family get togethers, the adult and child double standards - easy watching with a feel good factor.
Anthony L

September 30, 2011
If anyone else were to play Dan this film would have been a half star rating from me. Steve Carell is extremely likable and he is the only reason to watch this badly written, same old same old, drivel. I'm too tired to list the many things at fault with this film, but it starts with the lead character driving an old car to make him stand out as 'quirky' and ends with *spoiler alert* of course they get married. Honestly though, I've seen this film a million times so to make it again is so stupid. I had high expectations, very disappointed.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Great comedy drama. Dane Cook and Steve Carrell are amazing!
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

November 3, 2007
A really liked movie and yet it really failed to impress me.
I thought the comedy was sloppy and just unfunny.
Although i liked the storyline as its unique i just found that the movie wasn't that great, didn't impress me.
I thought Emily Blunt had a far to short of a part which sucked because she was by far the best and most entertaining character.
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 2, 2009
Really great heartfelt film. Full review later.
erika250
erika250

April 3, 2011
This is a really good Romantic comedy. It is about this man who falls in love with his brother girlfriend. The family knew something was up and they keep on digging until they found out what going on. This film is really funny and has a good plot. There are some weak parts that were lacking a good plot and good acting. It also show really shows what a model family is like sometimes. It has a twist ending that I did not see coming. If u like a Romantic comedy /click flick with drama in it , you should give this one a try.
3niR
3niR

November 13, 2010
I enjoy Steve Carell's movie and that's why I watched this with high hope thinking this would make my day like the others have. But this didn't reach my expectation. This was painfully boring. I don't know what was lacking. Maybe the story didn't have any freshness. I did felt bad for Steve for having such a bad luck everyday. Everyone's performance was great. It looked realistic. But yeah, the rating seems to be pretty deceiving for me.
Albert K

October 23, 2010
Entertaining... very cliche' but Steve Carell's excellent performance makes it feel fresh
Cynthia S

September 5, 2010
Oh my gosh this movie is so cute and funny!! Steve Carell rocks! I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a chuckle.
Phil H

November 7, 2007
This is a lovely touching and fun film. The story is just a regular love story with the usual type of probs. Carell is great in this and really comes through as the average man with everyday probs, mainly his loneliness and kids. The acting is good all round and the location is realistic. It is predictable but very sweet, a feel good flick.
Richard C

July 29, 2010
B
Conner R

May 26, 2010
An unrewarding and corny feel-good family film. Nearly everything in the movie has been used before and beaten to death. The widower, love triangle, oddball family, etc. It's just incredibly bland and too happy for its own good, especially when it prides itself on being dark. The comedy hardly ever works because it's more sarcastic and ironic than actually funny. Steve Carell and Juliette Bionoche had little chemistry and it destroys the love story in the movie. It just doesn't work and feels like an incomplete attempt at an original film.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

March 26, 2008
Saw it again and really like it again ,I really like this movie not only because we can see Steve Carell on a more serious role, well a lil bit but because there was a very learning fact by this movie which includes family unity which is something lost in these days.

The Burns clan is gathering at their vacation place on the Rhode Island shore: Dan (a widower with three daughters), plus his parents, various brothers and a sister and their families. At a bookstore the first morning he's there, he chats up a woman, bares his soul and feels a connection before she gets a call and bolts. She's seeing someone, who turns out to be one of Dan's brothers. It's a dicey couple of days at the house as Dan can't keep his eyes off her, his brother is obviously falling in love, and everyone thinks she's great. In this big supportive family, who will be the first to find the tension too much to bear? And after the snap, then what?
Jens S

October 24, 2007
After "Little Miss Sunshine" Steve Carell proves once again that he is able to walk the fine line between comedy and drama, although Dan is much more on the easy-going, amusing and heart warming side of the genre. Carell makes it easy to care for his widower with three girls who falls for the wrong woman and causes a lot of havoc during a big family weekend. The rest of the cast is just as excellent, it's just a pleasure to watch everyone interact to the degree that it sometimes almost feels improvised. The quirkiness of the family may feel a tad over the top at times, but they still grow on you and you want nothing else than Dan to find happiness. The road to that is a rocky one, but giving away the situations he is getting himself into would already be spoiling too much. In the end it's a feel-good film that leaves you with a broad grin on your face and the desire to revisit this movie again sometime in the not too distant future. Wonderful!
KJ P

February 4, 2010
I thought it was a complete disaster! Normally I don't mind when the camera angle is off a bit, but it just doesn't work at all here!
Lewis C

March 11, 2008
Steve Carell has a sweet side that makes him so likeable in The Office and The 40 Year-Old Virgin, and that exact quality is what makes Dan In Real Life an enjoyable movie. He really seems like a father who has lost his beloved wife and is trying earnestly to raise his daughters, even though he resists the fact that they're growing older.

Juliet Binoche is a good on-screen match for Steve, and you can see why the two would be attracted to each other, despite their circumstances. Sometimes you just feel like watching a "nice movie", and Dan In Real Life fits that description to perfection.
Dan S

October 24, 2007
When a widower (Steve Carell) goes on vacation with his three daughters up to their favorite vacation spot with the rest of the extended family, he happens to fall for a woman (Juliette Binoche) who just so happens to be dating his brother (Dane Cook). Romantic-comedy, moreso romantic, has its moments with Carell providing his fair share of "that was awkward" moments, but overall the abundant sentimentalism gets to be almost overbearing after a while. Still, not a horrible movie, despite the film's ending in how it tries to make you feel all warm inside, when you really can't just because of how everything unfolds.
Rubia

June 5, 2009
It´s all you´ve already seen in any romantic comedy, but with a big plus: Juliette Binoche. I watched this film because of her, of course, but it turned out to be funny and sweet. I recommend it for any Binoche´s fan.