Marvel Movie Madness! Part 28: Daredevil

Summary

Tim: Why on earth does this movie have such a lousy reputation? The mind boggles. Daredevil is a second-tier movie about a second-tier Marvel character, and so it follows that it lacks the operatic grandeur, emotional complexity, and mind-bending special effects of the Spider-Man and X-Men movies. Therefore, taken on its own modest merits, Daredevil delivers. Back to Article

Comments

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Speaking of THE RAPIST as a screen-name (Nom De Plum, Pseudonym, handle); I know a chick who had been raped a lot of times by her step-father . . . MEAN AS A SNAKE she is . . . Rape must really tear-up a victim, huh. Maybe they can have a Superhero villain called The Rapist in a potential DAREDEVIL 2. looking at THE CHICK who was RAPED--and how mean and angry she could be (like a devil is inside of her), you can say that the worst villains in the world are indeed RAPISTS.

Jul 11 - 05:56 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

nope.//REBOOT NEEDED. Just like how Warner Bros. "did" Batman . . . THE DARK NIGHT is soooo much better than the Batman & Robin Franchise-Killing 1997 (?) film.

Jul 11 - 06:00 PM

Jeff S.

Jeff Scott

Having been released after mega-hit "Spider-Man", this flick was portrayed as a letdown by the fans who adored Spider-Man". That critisism was unfair. These characters are completely different and parents who took the kids to see Spider-Man were stunned by the street level violence of Daredevil. Not the best of the Marvel movies, but certainly not the worst. I thought Affleck played the part as written in the books. Matt Murdock is mostly a sullen character. Not embarassed to own this dvd in my collection.

Jul 11 - 06:15 PM

Jeff S.

Jeff Scott

you cast the best actor to play the character - black or white, so if there isn't a racist bone in your body , why does it trouble you?

Jul 11 - 06:18 PM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

Uhhh, ok. So going by your logic it would be ok to cast Brad Pitt as Martin Luther King Jr. in a movie because he plays the part well? I think not.

Jul 11 - 06:51 PM

Jason B.

Jason B

There is a difference. Martin Luther King's race is obviously important because his whole life was about the promotion of race relations. The kingpin is a thug. A powerful, influential thug, but a thug none the less. His race has all of zero to do with the character. And anyone who doesn't understand the difference or has to open a dialogue with "Now I'm not racist but..." is most likely a closet bigot.

Jul 11 - 07:20 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

You are missing his point - which ISN'T a racist one. Kingpin has been portrayed the same way for DECADES very specifically. And one of the details was he was white. I personally loved Michael in this role, and dug his performance - but I CAN see how a loyalist would be rubbed the wrong way. From HIS point of view, I would argue that it might be similar if Wolverine was sporting long, golden hair. In the comic world, the visualization of a character from book to screen can - if altered - frustrate fans of the source material. So yea, not a race thing.

Jul 11 - 08:36 PM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

@Jason B: Hey jackass, maybe before you call me a "closet bigot" you should actually read my post and understand my point. The Kingpin is white in the comics, so he should be white in the movie. Changing his race is basically changing the character. I would have been just as pissed if it were the other way around and the Kingpin was black in the comics and they made him white in the movie. It has nothing to do with me disliking black people. I merely dislike that they completely changed the character's race. And I started by claiming I'm not racist because I didn't want to unintentionally offend anyone, which clearly didn't work...

Jul 11 - 09:32 PM

Jason B.

Jason B

Not only I have read comics since I was old enough to read, I own a comic shop as part of my income. I could not be more of comic book loyalist if Stan Lee was my uncle. I could not disagree with you more. I agree that yes, someone could have an issue with the change, I just don't find it valid. The pigmentation of the Kingpin's skin has all of zero to do with who that character is. If your eyes see this, and then that information travels to your brain and makes you not be able to enjoy that character, even if he's portrayed properly, I find that bordering on insanity. One man's opinion.

Jul 11 - 09:35 PM

GrandSmasher

joseph o'leary

Anyone who uses "one man's opinion" to close an argument is most likely frantically back-peddling, after pulling out the race card a little too quickly.

Jul 12 - 03:45 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Hey Jason B, you might also want to put down the comic books and pick up a history book. To state MLK Jrs "whole life was about the promotion of race relations" is very ignorant. Sure, that's the part of his life a 30-second PSA during Black History Month may focus on, but he did much more than that.

Jul 12 - 06:31 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Eh... This is a tough one. The best comic book movies stick to the source material as much as possible. So i generally agree with keeping as many aspects as possible the same, race of major characters being one of them. But on the other hand, you can see why movie studios would feel pressure to include a black character in a film with all white main characters.

Unfortunately as a society studios are forced to think of diversity while casting films. If he was the best actor available by a mile, i support it. If he is just slightly better, the same, or slightly worse than another actor who was white and was lobbying for the role, well, that is when i have a problem with the casting.

Jul 12 - 07:25 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Just from my personal opinion I think it would have been worse if they just cast some random fat white guy because as I say I can't think of anyone in Hollywood at that time or now for that matter who could have convincingly played Kingpin and I tend to agree with Jason B that his size and power are more important character traits than his skin color. It's the whole Nick Fury debate all over again.

Jul 12 - 11:04 AM

Myron

Myron Kinsey

*Gasp* Could it be that Hollywood is "BLACK WASHING"??!!

Jul 13 - 12:10 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

another Hero is Gene Roddenberry the inventer of Star Trek . . . the guy started-out as a little-fella with polio,
his parents thought he was going to die,
he had braces on his legs and used to climb into a cardboard box in his back-yard pretending it was a spaceship.

some THIRTY YEARS LATER (its always "30 years later" in a hero's life),

we catch-up to GENE RODDENBERRY a big 250 Pound Highway Patrol Officer who wrote a script called "Wagon-Training to the Stars."

GENE RODDENBERRY (as opposed "Gene Roddenberry" to the sickly-kid who used to sit in his backyard in a cardboard box where his parents thought as far to say he had a numerological disorder) in FULL UNIFORM, walks into a restaurant and hands his Wagon Training to the Stars script to AN AGENT and The Agent hands the script to CBS . . . (and the rest is history) . . .

NOT SO FAST (as also in a hero's life [there are "wrinkles" and "worm-holes"])

CBS says YES to GENE RODDENBERRY and then have a meeting with GENE RODDENBERRY. CBS steals all of GENE'S ideas and makes Lost in Space . . .

then GENE RODDENBERY meets with Executives at NBC and then . . .

the rest is history. STAR TREK becomes a reality (with a 3-season run).

HEROISM:

Gene Roddenbery started-out as a sick-measly-little-kid with Polio and braces on his legs and (what his parents believed to be) neurological disorders . . .

and Gene Roddenberry was TRANSFORMED into GENE RODDENBERRY INVENTOR OF STAR TREK.

even the prototype Space Shuttle was named The Enterprise.///

You don't need two hundred and fifty million dollars to make a super-hero, super heroes are MADE everyday.

----

DAREDEVIL appears to Trivialize what heroism is all about; its a comic-book movie nightmare like Sylvester Stallone in JUDGE DREDD.

Jul 11 - 06:20 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

I have a sinking feeling you are going to list all of history's heros. Finishing off with the hero sandwich. Please stop.

Jul 11 - 06:48 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

How did you know . . . a Hero ain't nothing but a sandwich. My point is Dare-Devil is all silly and make-believe when the real heroes are much better and more compelling.

Jul 12 - 06:32 AM

Myron

Myron Kinsey

Noted but he is based on a comic book character, its all just fantasy and movies dude.

Jul 13 - 12:11 AM

Jul 12 - 07:25 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jul 12 - 11:04 AM

Myron

Myron Kinsey

*Gasp* Could it be that Hollywood is "BLACK WASHING"??!!

Jul 13 - 12:10 AM

Looselycult

Dean Peteet

I love Daredevil the character and comic. In fact I love DD so much that I convinced myself that this terrible movie was great, even though in my heart of hearts I knew it was total crap but I couldn't admit it to myself.Then I convinced myself that it was good enough to buy on DVD so I did. It still sucked but I still wouldn't believe it. Then I bought the director's cut. Though slightly better (C'mon people the movie is directed by Mark Steven Johnson. He makes Ratner look like Scorsese.) it was still lousy. Finally after watching the film on TV late one night I woke up and realized what a total turd sandwich this film really is. I just couldn't face the cold hard facts so finally I did. So please take note Green Lantern fans. I have a sinking suspicion that you have fallen under a similar spell. I know it's devastating when you realize that the movie you have waited since your childhood to see about your favorite super hero is terrible but wake up the movie sucked, and you know it did!

Jul 11 - 06:59 PM

Bow Ties are Cool

The Holy Rainbow of Awesomness

I have nothing against people who hated it but I thought GL was awesome and I'm convinced I'm not just liking it because of the character. Sure the first stuff on Earth SUCKS but the rest is pretty good. I can't say the same for Daredevil. It's just so cartoony and generic (yes even the R rated Director's Cut) when depite me only having read ONE DD story I knew the character deserved better. It needed to be treated like Batman was in BB and TDK. Marvel should get the right's back and hire someone like Duncan Jones who is cheap but still has crediblity instead of hiring David Slade.

Jul 12 - 12:16 PM

Alexson Philip

Alexson Philipiah

this was terrible. 20%

Jul 11 - 10:00 PM

Gigawatts

Kevan Brenay

This is one of my guilty pleasures I guess, I really loved the cheesiness of this movie mixed with what was thought of as a gothic feel. The director's cut is def a better movie and more understandable. I just get a smile when I watch the much maligned and hated playground fight, but I just find it fun. I suppose most of this comes from a passing knowledge of Daredevil and never really having "loved" the comics or Frank Millers run on it, so I didn't have strong feelings about the movie going into it.

Jul 11 - 10:22 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Thanks Noah. I will check out the director's cut. Hope I like it. :)

Jul 11 - 10:38 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Let me know what you thought of it.

Jul 11 - 11:44 PM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

Well, that didn't take that much convincing.
;)

Jul 12 - 07:13 AM

Racer Z

Shannon Potratz

Not that this movie could get much worse, but Farrell's Bullseye is right there with "Awnold's" Mr. Freeze as one of the campiest, most incompetent portrayals of a villain and utterly destroys any sense of grounded "realism" this movie might have had. Less Joel Schumacher, more Chris Nolan, I say.

Jul 11 - 10:47 PM

GrandSmasher

joseph o'leary

Schwarzenegger's Mr Freeze is the best thing about that movie, the same as Farrell is the best thing about Daredevil.

Jul 12 - 02:49 AM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

PLEASE tell me you were joking about Mr. Freeze. Ugh. Either way, the best part of Batman & Robin was the end credits.

Jul 12 - 10:07 AM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

farrell was horrible in this

arnold's mr freeze was at least watchable

Jul 13 - 09:51 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office