Critic Review - Newark Star-Ledger

Clearly, they made the movie they wanted to make. It's just not the movie this "Dark Shadows" fan hoped to see.

May 11, 2012 Full Review Source: Newark Star-Ledger | Comments (18)
Newark Star-Ledger
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Lon Cohen

Lon Cohen

As a diehard fan of the original series, I would like to thank you for your honest review of this horrific piece of garbage. I haven't seen it and have no desire to see this travesty.

May 11 - 11:56 AM

Elijah Mcginley

Elijah Mcginley

judging a movie without actually seeing it??

Calling it garbage and a travesty without seeing a shred of this movie??

How humble of you. In my opinion, to judge a movie, you must first see it yourself. These reviewers have seen this movie and have every right to judge it, but you sir, have no right to call it a travesty when you haven't even seen it

May 11 - 10:54 PM

Zac Chrysan

Zac Chrysan

Even if the movie was good, it's still a travesty... They're completely ruining a franchise.

May 16 - 09:39 AM

Gail Barnett

Gail Barnett

It was nothing like the series...but, I happened to like the spoof of the Barnabas character. It was funny and entertaining. When I want fluff, I enjoy fluff...when I want cinema, I expect much more. This was a pleasant afternoon entertainment diversion. Light and ridiculous!

May 12 - 09:36 PM

Daniel Segraves

Daniel Segraves

You know, usually people that stick up for rediculously bad movies... I would think that they are idiots (silently; internet arbuments are a waste of time).

But Gail, you are the first person I've read on here who gave a decent reason as to why they enjoy movies that seem to be horrible. Kudos! This "internet hater" can not hate on you. :-)

Jun 9 - 06:10 PM

atthemovies

Paul Arnold

I saw it today and found it only mildly entertaining. There were aspects of the movie that I found totally silly and I was annoyed by the fact that it could have been a far better movie without the silliness. What a wasted opportunity for a remake of great TV show.

May 13 - 04:45 PM

John Altvater

John Altvater

You can see the reason the reviewers are only giving it a C-. It does not stay true to Dark Shadows. All it did was make a joke out of it. And I was hoping for so much more from Tim Burton after he did Alice in Wonderland.

This to me was more like Pee-wee's Big Adventure type movie that Dark Shadows.

May 14 - 03:05 PM

Zac Chrysan

Zac Chrysan

... But Alice in Wonderland was awful.

May 16 - 09:40 AM

Grant King

Grant King

...But, that's your opinion.

May 21 - 02:49 PM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

I frankly hated Alice in Wonderland... but, hey, my girlfriend loves it, so there's no way I cannot like it.

Sep 10 - 12:08 PM

Faye Bircheat

Faye Bircheat

This is what I was afraid of. I was in junior high school when the original series ran and would rush home from school to watch it. The show was a soap opera -- gothic and weird but a soap opera. Naturally, the Burton/Depp duo ruined that concept.

May 17 - 01:30 PM

Grant King

Grant King

It's a movie. I hate when people go to a movie expecting to see their childhood recreated perfectly right before their eyes. Much like the Harry Potter series, I always heard, "This isn't like the book!". Who cares, it's a movie, not the book. Did you complain when they made "Pirates of the Caribbean"? That was based off a series of novels, but I didn't hear any whining. The new movie "Dark Shadows" is placed in the year 1972, the television series went off air in 1971, so Burton can do whatever the hell he wants. Forget your childhood soap opera, and watch the movie for what it is!

May 21 - 01:09 PM

Marijon Benedict

Marijon Benedict

Pirates of the Caribbean was based on a Disneyland ride, not a series of novels. The novels were novelizations of the movies written for fans.

May 23 - 08:26 AM

Jonathan Blanton

Jonathan Blanton

All on its own, this movie was terrible. Besides, if you see some medium inspired by something else, you expect it to inhabit the same world. Dark Shadows has almost nothing to do with the series.

If I see a movie called Dark Shadows, I expect it to inhabit the same realm as its source material. I expect Lord of the Rings II to follow the lineage of the first one. If I write an essay entitled, "A Story of the Titanic" it should probably be about the Titanic.

This movie doesn't really warrant sharing the same name as Dark Shadows, because it has nothing to do with the source material. That's what is so disappointing about it.

But above all, this movie was just stupid.

Aug 27 - 01:57 AM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

I believe the great flaw to be the "all-encompassing" desire of the entire plot in two hours, because during the first half, it handles itself pretty nicely.

Sep 10 - 12:11 PM

Staci Goodwin

Staci Goodwin

I watched the series growing up...I thought this was a fun version of it. there is no way that the series could ever be a "re-make" but I do think that this a funny adaption of it.

Aug 14 - 10:54 AM

Cornelius Toomey

Cornelius Toomey

This review completely describes my feelings after seeing the movie.

Oct 12 - 07:16 PM

Cornelius Toomey

Cornelius Toomey

This review completely describes my feelings after seeing the movie.

Oct 12 - 07:16 PM