46% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Dark Crystal Reviews

August 15, 2014
Impressive production values and use of attractive locations are not enough to make the narrative an engaging one. The story itself had potency and had it been wielded properly could have produced great results. However the overuse of dissolves in the editing room and overdressing of puppets does not add to the period fantasy tale it was trying to achieve , rather it slowed down the pace. For a picture of ninety minutes , it felt too long drawing out the same archetypal fantasy elements over and over again. As a deliberate puppet tale , the tale deserves a credit for the technicalities but not in terms of artistry of telling a story
Super JMan
August 13, 2014
You only watch a Jim Henson movie for the puppets, not the narrative. And the story, emotion, and the amazing puppets overpower the narrative.
August 10, 2014
Well... it's certainly not the Muppets. Let's just get that out of the way. It's its own unique Henson story that comes off surprisingly well and with impressive visuals for 1982.
July 27, 2014
Amazing to see this in 35mm on the big screen since the visuals are the star. My impression of me watching TDC: "What an epic, glorious, beautifully-crafted, vision--OMG, SHUT UP, JEN!!"
July 17, 2014
It's story isn't up to much but the visuals are truly a sight to behold.
January 29, 2008
Super cute movie. Jim Henson's Hand-crafted world is just as magical (if not more) than the CGI worlds of today's films. The story was rather light.
December 14, 2009
A fantasy adventure that is entirely populated by a new form of Jim Henson's Muppets!!! This film never ceases to amaze me with Jim Henson's imagination. This film goes up as one of the best fantasy films of all time that brings the neverending battle between good and evil to the people. It's a magical adventure for everyone!!! Goes up on my favorite fantasy films next to the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and the Harry Potter franchise. A great movie of pure fantasy!!
April 4, 2012
it's one of my least favorite films of the late-Jim Henson
but he still has such a creative mind for the strange, bizzare and magnificent when it comes to the puppeteer work
all the creatures, worlds, sets, and animals are a gift to watch
it's a neat little break from the human characters interacting with the artificial ones
the plot is very simple and just gets from point A to point B
easy to follow but nothing that shockworthy
I might not watch it again but maybe smaller viewers will want the replay value
August 17, 2007
When I was a kid, I never really warmed to this. In all of its gothic, fantasy glory, where I was always more of a Labyrinth kid (which truth be told, is not too far off). Even on repeat viewings as I grew up, I saw the appeal but it never really struck me as a favourite. Watching it one more time it dawned on me finally, that this was a thing of beauty. There are some outrageously bright, vivid and stunning sequences throughout. The creatures do border on the odd side but perhaps that's why this has cult appeal, but what stands out the most for me is the sheer scope of the project. A world entirely created with Henson magic, you simply need to bow down and give it respect. Now its time to just sit back and wait for the long planned sequel and hope a huge mess is not made.
May 27, 2014
The Dark Crystal is nothing more than a weird ass puppet show with lame ass voice acting.
Danwah
May 14, 2014
Shit. Boring story and annoying, lifeless main characters.
April 25, 2014
As a huge fan of Labyrinth, I had high hopes for The Dark Crystal. It isn't really a film so much as a giant proof of concept. The puppetry is outstanding but not enough to make up for the dreary storytelling, minimal plot and hammy characterisations. Lavish and imaginative as it might be there really isn't much to it beneath the visuals.
April 13, 2014
A deeply weird but entertaining movie...
davidhill132
April 8, 2014
Why do people have such fond memories of this movie?
April 6, 2014
The story and characters are a bit too simplistically archetypal to have real impact (although some of the symbolism layered into the ending is nice), but how wonderfully designed is this film? The Skeksis are just incredible puppets, and the fantasy world of "The Dark Crystal" feels remarkably lived-in and physical-- possessing a real sense of history and geography--all without the lamentable crutch of CGI.
tehe
April 1, 2014
Such an old movie and kind of corny for right now, but its a classic. Such a different movie that some might just blow past it, but to me it was a classic kids movies. 8/10
March 30, 2014
A visual treat the puppeteering is amazing as well as the set design. However the characters and dialoge are bland and uninteresting sadly pushing this movie into forgettable territory
January 11, 2008
A common misconception about Jim Henson's Muppet creatures is that they are primarily children's fodder. Even Henson wanted to shed that image, so he crafted this fantasy adventure epic. Unlike, say, SESAME STREET and THE MUPPET SHOW, THE DARK CRYSTAL is an appropriately grim tale with a cast of alternatingly bizarre and grotesque creatures that somehow exude a feel of realism. All the characters in this film are puppets, and while there are times where the technique shows its age, the overall effect is that THE DARK CRYSTAL is nothing short of a masterpiece of puppetry. While the story may not be terribly original and the elfin lead characters (Gelflings) less well-defined than others (half of their chemistry is upstaged by much of the other cast, including a ferocious but adorable little fuzzball named Fizzgig, who acts like a faithful watchdog while maintaining a sense of fear as well as the hideous-looking but benevolent one-eyed Aughra), but all in all, THE DARK CRYSTAL is one of the finer examples of fantasy films from the '80s. Imaginative, dark, and frightening at times, this is a must-see for fantasy buffs.
rbaxter13
March 22, 2014
I recommend this movie for older kids because younger children may have a hard time watching the creatures removing and tossing their heads around. This a classic in Jim Henson style and worth having in ones collection. I enjoyed sharing it with my granddaughter and when my grandson is older I will watch it with him.