Dark Matter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dark Matter Reviews

½ June 4, 2014
Meryl Streep somehow ended up in this real dog of a film about a Chinese student goes apeshit. One to be missed for sure.
½ April 14, 2009
There's little in Billy Shebar's script, the rambling direction by theater and opera helmer Chen Shi-Zheng - or Liu Ye's impassive performance as the student.
January 4, 2014
The logic for the ending is a bit too tenuous. The main character does not appear to have psychological problems to make him even just want to shoot someone, anyone. The real life person from which the film is inspired certainly was more deeply troubled. It can be however taken ironically to mean that the main character finally adapts to life in the USA and solves some frustrations the americanos way.... I think the film also wants to leaves the message that the guy chose the gun too hastily and his problems would be solved very happily with some patience - scene where his romantic interest seemed to miss him near the end.
April 22, 2008
I might try to watch this again someday, but the first go around the movie didn't hold my attention.
February 16, 2012
sucks big time what ever possessed streep 2 do this tripe is beyond me
January 3, 2013
In the true event, the student, Gang Lu, was far from a naive victim whose dream was shattered by academic politics and cultural difference as portrayed by the film, but rather a self-promoting and selfish psycho who couldn't tolerate the fact that another fellow student was better than him.

Chen Shi-Zheng captures the story very differently an far from it's truth, A pretty extreme character to start with, Gang Lu transforms into a poster- boy for a certain type of desperation with no outlet. You can kind of see it all coming from a mile away, but the outcome still packs a crazy kick in the gut. Maybe even all the more so for its nauseous inevitability.
September 27, 2012
Although we may not like the outcome of the narrative, it does give some insight as to what led to the events. Not that it justifies it, but people always want to know why some minds snap, just like dry twig.
½ July 14, 2012
Stereotypical performance but interesting. If it wasn't based on real events, it would be unbelievable.
April 10, 2012
it was semi confusing but i LOVED the soundtrack!
February 8, 2012
this movie was pretty interesting and just kinda different. I enjoyed it but dont think id watch it again.
August 21, 2009
January 12, 2011
This movie flew under the radar but stars the incomparible Meryl Streep and that is worth the 2 hours.
December 10, 2010
Thanks guys. We needed that. Meryl Streep is such a generous actor. I felt as though she could even make me look good on screen. The title alone got my attention but the story proved more than worthy enough to keep that attention. Dark Matter has just enough science, just enough drama, just enough culture to make it - in my opinion - worthy of a nomination or three. We need more intelligent and contientious movies like this. "Up the bottoms" and two thumbs up.
½ November 19, 2010
I liked this. It was interesting to see how the mind can go from dreams to destruction in a short amount of time. It is based on a similar but true story.
September 28, 2010
An intriguing failure. Could and should have been so much better.
July 19, 2010
I was SHOCKED Meryl Streep and Aiden Quinn found this script captivating enough to actually ACT in. I found the movie UN-interesting and terribly goofy (I don't think it was really meant to be). Most of it was in Chinese w/ English subtitles so it was annoying and had a crappy plot
½ May 11, 2010
A fairly watchable movie that tells the tragic story (that's somewhat based on true events) of an aspiring Chinese student who resorts to a violent shootout after his dreams are blocked by school/campus politics.
April 13, 2010
I think it was a heart felt show had a lot of emotions. I think they could have gave him a better chance .
½ March 18, 2010
In "Dark Matter," Liu Xing(Liu Ye) has come to the United States from Beijing for his graduate degree under the tutelage of the acclaimed Professor Reiser(Aidan Quinn). In his informal way, he informs his student that he is about the best applicant he has ever had before assigning him to work on his pet cosmology projects, along with other students from China. They hang out together, steal cable and use any excuse to go out, be it church or Pioneer Village. They are all living the American dream. Liu Xing's specific dream includes a blonde wife which he writes back home about.

"Dark Matter" is a wildly uneven movie due somewhat to amateurish directing. The stunt casting robs a lot of the attention from Liu Xing's story but Aidan Quinn is very good.(There is a closeup of his eyes that speaks volumes.) And is this supposed to be a period piece since a lot of the technology looks so out of date? The movie would have been better if it had settled down and took its time detailing its lead character's adjustment to America. Not every setback is the end of the world when they are studying the beginning of the universe. There is some intriguing material about assimilation and I had to wonder if Liu Xing and his colleagues moving to the United States are part of a brain drain. However, there is a lot more pointless emphasis on the insular world of college politics.
August 17, 2008
For the greatest part of this movie, I was just watching without really following. Of course I'm an ignoramus when it comes to Cosmology (or anything science-related for that matter!), and even though the movie has the most simplistic structure, it's hard to follow because it's not intriguing. As it progresses however, it does obtain a pace and plot that's much vivid.

The direction was smartly-handled for someone who's stolen every smart thing about it from other directors. Meryl Streep's participation was what partly saved the movie, since Meryl Streep could even play Spider-man and get an Oscar nomination for it.

The movie "comes together" and starts to make sense as a whole at the end. I sympathized with the guy whose only dream was taken away, and as a resulted reacted the way he did. Strip a man off his dreams and you've left him with nothing - and that's what the movie is about for me, and the reason why I liked it.