70% Hercules Jul 25

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Dark Passage Reviews

Apeneck F

June 18, 2012
Bogie and Baby again, baby, this time in San Francisco, where she picks up an escaped con on the lam and brings him home ... okay, so maybe its a smidgen unbelievable, just a tad, a wee bit, but who cares, its Bogart and Bacall. Agnes Moorehead is great, too, all controlled hysteria and a voice like nails over a chalkboard.
Graham J

November 14, 2011
Though not on the level as the other Bogart/Bacall classics, this surprisingly experimental film noir has plenty to enjoy. Also great images of 1940's San Francisco.
Pierluigi P

July 12, 2007
A good chance to watch Bogart and Bacall getting emotional. I found this noir quite entertaining but some events and decisions made by the characters were a tad far fetched, and the ending was too pleasing for my taste.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
This is one of my favourite film noirs. The story is brilliant and the cast is great. I highly recommend this one.
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

January 29, 2010
In "Dark Passage", a man (Bogart) wrongly convicted of killing his wife escapes from prison and is picked up by a sympathetic painter (Becall) who also happens to be wealthy. She takes him back to her place and hides him from the law as he tries to come up with a plan to bring the real killer to justice. While Bogart might be the star of the film, his face isn't even shown in the first 2/3rds of the movie (they kept his face hidden in order to make use of a face-transformation, plastic surgery operation plotline). The plot and ending are similar to "The Shawshank Redemption". Some of the conveniences that take place that they ask us to swallow are just a little bit too much, especially when Bogart finally tracks down the real killer. It's a silly, lurid and pulp-ey type of movie that, taken in good fun, is very watchable and enjoyable.
garyX
garyX

March 6, 2007
A man jailed for killing his wife escapes and with the aid of a beautiful well wisher attempts to reveal the truth behind her death. This film is mainly known for the first person gimmickry of the first half in which the action is seen from Bogart's point of view and for being the least of Bogart and Bacall's on screen pairings. The direction although gimmicky is actually quite a technical achievement and makes it feel quite contemporary still, and the whole film looks very, very nice, concealing Bogie's face in shadows and making excellent use of some great locations (surely Hitchcock had this film in mind when he made Vertigo). Unfortunately this gimmick causes other elements of the film to suffer; Bogie's on screen presence is sorely missed, and his wordless, bandaged face means that Bacall spends much of the time talking to herself. The chemistry of the stars and an intriguing mystery keeps it more than watchable however, and if the story had a satisfying resolution it could have been one of the greats. Unfortunately, it doesn't. Well worth watching for some nice performances and clever visuals, but its plot is lacking which relegates it to a comparatively minor star in the Film Noir firmament.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

May 11, 2009
Once again the Famous Pair earn 5 stars, Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall were as always at the top of there game. What Surprised me was Agnes Moorehead was in this movie, I always remember her with bewitched. And in this movies she played the bit$* of a women out to mess up a guys life. The neat thing about this was the opening 30-40 minutes where you don't see Bogart, you just see what he see's. Its a must own must see movie 5 stars, did you expect any less.
dietmountaindew
dietmountaindew

December 11, 2007
"dark passage" is another screen team of bogart/bacall in the 40s noir, and this time our convicted hero is a deeply troubled man entrapped in the venom of murderous jealousy.

bogart plays vincent parry, a man sentenced with life imprisonment for the charge of spouse murder, then he manages to escape san quentine to encounter the aiding hand of beautiful kind irene jason (bacall). somehow to get rid of the bounty hunters of law, he resorts to plastic surgery to gain his second chance of life. there's crooked small-time con who attempts to blackmail him, and eventually parry inquires into the real killer behind these several crimes, a female pal of his who disposes of his wife and best friend then frames him just to sink him into the buttomless abyss without redemption merely becuz parry rejects hers possessive courtship.

bogart does manifest lots of helpless vulnerability as a wrongly accused man that differentiates from his typical galant shrewd image of man who cannot be made a sucker of. bacall delivers lots of feminine maternal tenderness to bogart that is presumptiously comprehended since it's bogart/bacall despite this scenario of amateur court enthusiast falling for a tarnished con out of pathos is sorta absurd. the man here is not steel-made tough guy who cannot be beated down, contrarily man in the flick needs the caressing care of woman unconditionally. of course, there must be a femme fatale who maliciously incriminates the man into misfortune, agnes moorehead, who behaves simply objectionably hateful without a bit likability, who is a creature of animus, someone who builds her happiness on others' ill-fate. so the female characters are fixed into the angel/demon dualism: bacall is sheer divinity; moorehead is pure evil. bogart's destiny is totally pupeteered and stringed by these two opposite females: one condemns him into hell; one salves him above heaven. maybe the leastly noirish element in it is the abscence of one sensually riveting femme fatale who combines allure and perils together, and "dark passage" compartmentalizes this duplicity without the grey ambiguity of twightlight zone.

one uniquely creativity is bogart's first-person angle complemented with narrations and subjective vision. one flaw is the scene he converses with the taxi driver that is third person perspect. ha.
Ken S

May 5, 2007
Interesting little movie... Still Bogart + Bacall = Way cooler than Armageddon
Aaron N

June 5, 2007
Dr. Walter Coley: Ever see any botched plastic jobs? If a man like me didn't like a fellow... he could surely fix him up for life. Make him look like a bulldog, or a monkey. I'll make you look as if you've lived.
Vincent Parry: I have, doc.

It's kind of a high concept noir. An escaped convict gets plastic surgery to lure away suspicion and give him time to find out the truth about his wife's murder.

Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall star in this film, and make it work with their natural chemistry.

The story begins by showing all of Bogey's scenes from the first person, introducing us to his character by voice only, before revealing him later on by reason of the plot.

Bacall takes him in, while he's on the run for her own reasons, and the story moves on from there.

Good supporting performances and neat little add ons to the plot make this film work.

Cabby: Nice looking suit you're wearing.
Vincent Parry: Thanks, and I don't feel chatty.
Cabby: Some fares like to talk.
Vincent Parry: Well I don't.
Cabby: You always that way?
Vincent Parry: Yep. That's why I don't have many friends.
jjnxn
jjnxn

March 29, 2007
lauren slinks, agnes is a total bitch and bogie is vunerable. very enjoyable
Michael G

October 27, 2006
The movie is a little too clever for its own good, but I still love it. Even if it is a little gimmicky.
Sunil J

September 13, 2007
The darkest of the Bogie/Bacall movies by far. Very suspensful but possibly a little too long.
Lovable M

November 19, 2008
Loves me some Bogie and Bacall. This wasn't as good as most of the other movies they've done together, but it's still worth a watch.
November 11, 2013
This was a helluva lot of fun, opening with a first person perspective as Bogey escapes jail, and we never see his face until after he undergoes surgery to go into hiding, plus we get the Lauren Bacall hotness as well, what's not to love?

Great film, recommended.
FanBoyCritic
March 2, 2013
Plot/Summary, After being forced to beat up a man (Clifton Young) from whom he's hitched a ride, Bogart hides out in the apartment of Lauren Bacall, while recovering from plastic surgery, and tries to set about locating the actual murderer.
My Review
I'm actually glad it's in black and white cause it's a very great dark film. A dark film that has to do with murder, accusation, and love. The film revolves around a man named Vincent Parry played brilliantly by Humphrey Bogart who is wrongly accused of his wife's murder and try's to run away from the police due to his accusation. Along the way he is helped out by a women named Irene played by Lauren Bacall so that he can escape the town and live a new life. My favorite part of the film was in the opening sequence were a barrel falls of a truck and Vincent is inside and through out half the time you have a first person perspective of what's going on with Vincent and you barley see his real face. Later in the film after he has a talk with Sam the Taxi Driver he get's plastic surgery and when he's getting the surgery it had another great sequence in the film where he's in some sort of dozed off crazy dream where we see Irene, Sam the Taxi Driver and the plastic surgent. There is a man who is following Vincent around and eventually finds him. He is believed by the audience to be the killer but he isn't watch for yourself and find out who it is. I give Dark Passage a thumps up and a 5 out of 5.
September 29, 2012
Bizarre first act featuring POV camerawork with Bogart only providing voiceover (or doubles hiding in darkness.) Still, once the real Bogart finally shows up this movie is quite good. Lauren Bacall is the highlight here, as, for once, I see why people consider her a screen legend.
Brody M

December 15, 2011
Right from the very start I just had a feeling I was not gonna like this movie & I was right.Something about it was off for me.I found it to be boring & just could not get into it.I watched about 15-25 minutes & just couldn't watch anymore.Maybe I needed to give it more of a chance & Maybe 1 of these days I will but it probably won't be anytime soon
July 12, 2010
This is not the most famous Bogey & Becall film but I still always enjoy watching it. It's just cool how we never see Bogart's face at the beginning of the movie. Also it has a rather unusual ending albeit a happy one as for the films of the day.
September 28, 2009
I thought Lady in the Lake used the first-person perspective better. There was a decent story but the acting could have been better. Bogart seemed a little too stiff but Bacall really put on a good show. A lot of close-ups on her face and her gorgeous eyes.