Dark Prince: The True Story of Dracula Reviews

FilmFanatik
May 15, 2007
This had its moments, but overall, felt too tv-ish.
March 22, 2006
This movie could have been SO much better than it was. The story of Dracula the merciless prince was a good one, but they tried to murk it up with half-hearted supernatural bunk. It wasn't very well cast either. Disappointing.
October 7, 2009
I thought this was a vampire film, nevertheless I watched the whole thing. I thought it was pretty good for what it was a historical / horror film.
November 26, 2007
Story of Vlad Tepes and his love of a woman. His most torturous ways of keeping people in line, the sad and twisted suffering of his and his brother's youth. The rise and fall of Tepes and his wife's sad suicide... unable to cope with hearing the screams of Tepe's victims and the death of her father by his hands.
½ September 12, 2007
Now before you get excited this about how the legend of Vlad the Implaor came to be it not to be confused with Vlad the vampire.
August 5, 2007
Another version of Dracula. Very different and entertaining. I enjoyed it and so did the rest of the family.
July 15, 2007
It's not an idiotic play on the vampire story of Dracula, those who like history and the true blood and gore of Vlad the Impaler will love this movie.
March 9, 2007
My all time FAVORITE movie of Martins... seriously i am SOoo in love with him...

blushes *stupid fangirl*
March 9, 2007
great movie tells the truth about the romananian prince and his devotion to his country not the false folklore myths
January 25, 2012
Though there are some historical inaccuracies I found Rudolf Martin's portrayal of Dracula to be incredibly good. It is no wonder he reprised the role for TV's Buffy verses Dracula (Season 5, episode 1 of Buffy The Vampire Slayer).

This is a very good movie that looks at the good and bad of the historical Dracula and at the end of the film even ties in some of the vampire story so that the film works as a loose prequel to Bram Stoker's Dracula starring Gray Oldman. I strongly recommend this film for any fan of Dracula or of the history of the middle ages. The film is very well done, very moody, very atmospheric and surprisingly educational.
May 24, 2012
A fun dramatic cultural materialist reappropriation of the historic Dracula, spoilt only by the constant references to the then Hungarian voivodeship as Romania, anachronistic since Transylvania was not part of Romania until 1918.
December 23, 2010
it's a nice effort, and thus it has many downsides still it's a different approach to one of the most common horror myths of all times, first of all i have a vampire fetish and i admit it, any movie with vampires i try to own (even if they are not good), second this it's a real character, movie it's based on the real story of Vlad Dracul III AKA Vlad the Impaler, who was ruler of Walachia (romania) around 1456-1476 (not all of the time), so for me it's a very interesting story, cause he actually did impaled people, regain the crown and fought the turkish out of romania.

It's loosely biographic, some parts are very true tough they seem incredible, - SPOILERS COMING - like his younger brother Radu becoming to muslim and commanding the ottomans in the romanian invasion, yet there are omitted characters (his elder brother, two of his sons and nobleman corvinus), twisted facts like his kidnapping, that was in fact most of an exchange between his fater Vlad II dracul and king of turks. and his dead that it's not at radu´s hands but at a battle (radu has died already), and most of all the very end of the movie in wich he resurrects as a vampire, it's really a shame they went that way i don think it was necessary and it takes much of the seriousness of the movie leading you to think it's all Bullshit when most of it is actually real and documented facts.

The acting it's generally lame, and so are many of other elements like direction, costumes, makeup and score (oh my god so bad). Yet this it's a TV movie, and i wasn't expecting much of it, so it was surprisingly engaging even with his many flaws... nice effort but hope some day they make a more real and better movie about Vlad 'cause i did like the story a lot.
January 27, 2007
This is a loosely biographical based movie on Vlad Dracula, and it was refreshing change. Roger Daltrey is the weakest actor, and he is pretty good. Rudolf Martin was perfect for the role of Dracula, what a mix of passion, and vanity. The story is fact based and if you know your history you can see it weaved throughout this tale. The sets are amazing for fairly low budget movie.The fight scenes are fair to slightly above average, but this movie is so strongly written you can forgive the weaker fight scenes. One of the Best Dracula movies I have seen.