63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

too Bad for the survivers

FANTASIES OF SPACE LIFE, WORK , CONFLICT, AND EVIL
Sean Michael Smith
December 21, 2012
A premise worthwhile is ruined by a painful attempt to recreate the suspense of "Alien" but instead shows the annoying sexual tension of a group of men that no-one can relate to. "The Dark Side of the Moon" is shot like a soup opera and flows like a direct to video flick. Though the special effects are delightfully camp, the amount of late 80's style references and characteristics make the experience feel anything but futuristic. We are left with the empty-shell-style of writing that says we should root for the pretty boy lead and wise-cracking old man counterpart only because we've rooted for these types before. Yet, we're given no real reason to feel anything for anyone. This creates an empty and fear lacking experience that makes the film trod on painfully for ages.
Warchief
August 31, 2011
"Get away from me you mutha*****."

Synopsis: In 2022, a spaceship is stranded on the dark side of the moon, where the crew finds a 30-year-old shuttle that seems to be lifeless. Upon boarding to look for supplies, they find a corpse and an unrelenting evil that threatens to kill them all.

If ever one of those shlocky sci-fi films from the 50's and 60's were in development hell for 40 years and finally got the green light in the 90's, the final product would probably be alot like The Dark Side of the Moon. Once you see the interior of the featured spacecraft (named "Discovery" here, i think) you should know what your getting yourself into, i.e. a low-budget (and unbelievable) production supporting an amateurish fan fiction-esque script with rather untalented filmmakers on both sides of the camera.

In addition to just being flat out uninteresting work, the picture is also far too derivative. The director is obviously a fan of the 70's film Alien and the later Ridley Scott film Blade Runner (but who isn't), as there are many scenes that scream "Poser" and detract from the experience rather than add to it as the directer intended. I am not sure why projects like this one, where believability is not only crucial but requires a large sum of money to achieve, are green lit when the funds could be given to other "low maintenance" projects where location believability is less important and less tricky to do right. But i guess that's why i'm not in the industry.

Though the film isn't exploitative and actually shows some taste, The only thing The Dark Side of the Moon has going for it is it's title, it's The DARK SIDE not DARK OF THE MOON, get it right Michael Bay.
March 6, 2011
It almost pains me to rank this movie so low, but it also pained me to watch the movie. It started off believable enough but over time it just started to drag on and on. There was no reasonable description for most of the things happening in the plot, and overall I felt like I was going through a cheap horror-house on Halloween; no plot, just cheap jilts.
FilmGrinder S.
March 3, 2011
Reminded me of EVENT HORIZON, only nowhere near as good.
Pookie Burgess
February 21, 2011
Rips off a bunch of better movies that I would have rather been watching, and does a lousy job doing it.
February 10, 2011