Darkness Falls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Darkness Falls Reviews

August 17, 2008
it doesn't even deserve the one star, this is shockingly terrible.
March 22, 2016
Sometimes it's fun to revisit a film that used to terrify you as a kid to see if it still has the same effect, and I'm embarrassed to say that I was ever scared by this lackluster piece of crap. Darkness Falls is the debut film from somewhat hack director, Jonathan Liebesman, and his inexperience is apparent all over the screen with poor direction of the actors, shoddy editing, and a runtime that barely cracks 80 minutes; the credits literally last 11 minutes just so this film could get a theatrical release. The basic story is that the tooth fairy was wrongly executed back in the day and has put a curse on the town where after losing your last baby tooth; she will come to get you and if you look upon her face: you're dead. The film centers on a man who lost his mother to the tooth fairy in the prologue (the best and tensest scene of the whole film) and is now trying to save anyone he can from her murderous wrath by keeping people in/around light sources, which are her only weakness. From there it becomes a mindless, slasher as people are picked off, left and right, in tame PG-13 fashion and the characters must use whatever light source they can to stay alive. It's actually a good premise (though filled with holes), but the filmmakers botch it so hard it's a real shame it wasn't used in a better movie. One of the funnier inconsistencies the film champions is that the Tooth Fairy casts a shadow when she's stalking through a room...HOW DOES SHE DO THAT IF LIGHT IS HER WEAKNESS? Anyway, yes this film is scary enough for young teens, but man, it does not hold up well and the only pleasure I had watching it was to see a then-unknown, Angus Sampson from Insidious and Mad Max: Fury Road fame and the film earns a few bonus points for using practical effects at the forefront!
January 20, 2016
You know exactly what kind of idiocy you're in for when the main character corners himself in bathroom, using a shower curtain as protection, instead of running out the front door. And still manages to survive. This all happens within the first 15 minutes. It's all downhill from there.
January 4, 2016
We all know the legend of the tooth fairy, but for one small town the legend is all to real!!!!
½ August 8, 2015
It's silly and campy, and not full of surprises, but it's still a fun movie to watch and has a few good scares.
½ July 28, 2015
Scenes don`t make any sense
½ June 28, 2015
A movie should have to explain this many gaping plot holes which the makers of this film felt they did not have to do.Carelessly made with a big middle finger to the viewer.
June 2, 2015
Darkness Falls is a loud, obnoxious horror movie with cheap scares and a really annoying (not scary) Tooth Fairy who growls and screams NONSTOP. She only kills children who lose their last baby tooth, but then she starts killing all these adults for the remainder of the movie..... Why? No idea, probably because the script is too lazy to give us a compelling horror story.
October 31, 2014
The evil tooth fairy is not even the worst element of this horror mess.
½ May 14, 2015
good creepy horror pic
½ January 18, 2015
Fail!!! Horrible movie!!!
December 4, 2014
It was okay, I guess. Unlike Vampires who are straight up picky about the intensity of light. This antagonist / phenom / spectre / tooth fairy / witch / banshee, whatever you want to call her hates all light period but cannot be stopped until her mask is taken off. Typical back story 1600s curse bullshit, so it's kind of a dumb concept. I'm not a fan of pointless revenge concepts especially when the antagonist is selective on who he/she/it chooses...the story starts off in the distant past through narration, spends about 15 minutes or so in 1991 then zooms to the future or present day, presumably in 2003 when the film was shot, that's usually how these things work.
½ November 17, 2014
A movie that's actually unusual and scary, but the sometimes incoherent and confusing editing brings it down a bit. 45/100
October 6, 2014
While I understand why most people don't like it, I very much enjoy this film's dark twist to the tooth fairy story; if you're going to watch it, you should do it with surround sound
October 23, 2014
1 star for the creepy opening scene, otherwise it doesn't deserve any.
October 8, 2014
Lame and by the numbers. A lot of people gave this movie a lot of flak back when it came out and while it isn't very good, it's not the worst thing either. It's just forgettable and dull. It mostly strays from horror and becomes more action oriented as the characters shoot at the witch and run around in different set pieces while lights explode. It just felt a bit uncertain of what it wanted to be. There aren't really any scares other than the jump scares and loud noises. It just seems like there was more potential with the base material they had, but somewhere through all the filters it became this bland mess. The tooth fairy aspect seems pointless as teeth really serve no purpose and it's not like the witch kills people because they lost a tooth. She just kills anyone. So why is the tooth fairy tale even apart of the script?

Just a forgettable movie that may not deserve a lot of the hate it had gotten, but definitely not something that needs to be seen.

And what was up with the ending? That was possibly the worst way to end any horror movie and had me laughing at how flat of a note the movie ended on. I don't know if it was meant to be funny, but I wasn't laughing because it was a good joke, I was laughing because it was terrible.
October 7, 2014
This movie is criminally underrated for what it is. It's creepy (it relies a little too much on "jump scares" for my liking) dark, and turns a classic children's tale on its head. The acting and overall style is a little bland, as were most mainstream horror movies from this time period, but it's still enjoyable. The review on the poster art that it, "Runs rings around 'The Ring'" is so untrue its painful, but that's not the film's fault. Worth the watch, nothing tremendous though. I don't understand why so many people hate this the way they do.
July 25, 2008
You might even get scared watching this movie...provided that u r under the age of six...
½ September 7, 2014
With a story in Darkness Falls, there can be a good horror movie for it, and it's got enough ideas for it. However, the execution of it is horribly done. For a tooth fairy that doesn't get in light as it hurts her, there sure was some scenes where she's in the light and it doesn't affect her. The beginning was promising, but it was a bit predictable to see what is going to happen. It has characters that are very forgettable and are just there to die. The acting is mediocre at best, a lot of things don't make any sense, and the main characters are thin. Consider that the movie is short, it should be longer just to introduce the characters, or make more scares because there's only a few scares in this. I hope this gets a remake because, like i said, there can be a good movie out of the story, it's just not done well in Darkness Falls.