97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

The Darwin Awards Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 6, 2012
Pretty good comedy based on the popular series of books. I loved the books, and I thought this film captured the feel of the series very well. Of course the film is nothing compared to the series, but it still is a very funny film that has plenty of good laughs throughout the film. The film succeeds at adapting the most popular stories from the book, but it is far from perfect. The film has a good cast of actors who deliver fine performances. However the film does fall flat a few times, not many but a few. In any case, this is simply put a mindless film that is a pleasant viewing on a Friday night when there's nothing else better on. This is an enjoyable film, and as a reader of the series, I felt that they had key elements of the stories well in hand, and I thought it was creative how they tied everything together. Even with that said this is a film that is far from perfect, but is also an underrated comedy isn't as bad as the initial reviews. The performances and good comedy make this film good and worth watching and if you're in the mood for something good and enjoyable, this is a good film to watch. Director Finn Taylor has done a great job with bringing the books to the screen, and it works most of the time very well. I really liked the film, and thought it very entertaining but flawed. Still this is a film that is worth checking out.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

September 7, 2009
Cast: Joseph Fiennes, Winona Ryder, David Arquette, Chris Penn, Max Perlich, Brad Hunt, Tim Blake Nelson, Julianna Margulies, Tom Hollander, Juliette Lewis, Nora Dunn, Lukas Haas, Ty Burrell, Judah Friedlander, Wilmer Valderrama, Alessandro Nivola, D.B. Sweeney, Mickey Breitenstein, Josh Kornbluth

Director: Finn Taylor

Summary: When his tendency to faint at the sight of blood becomes a liability, detective Michael Burrows (Joseph Fiennes) finds himself out of a job. Fortunately, the perceptive profiler has no trouble peddling his skills to an insurance company. Teaming up with field agent Siri Taylor (Winona Ryder), Michael attempts to identify people who might accidentally kill themselves out of sheer stupidity.

My Thoughts: "It''s a very funny quirky film. It's full of odd character's, especially the lead played hilariously by Joseph Fiennes. Winona Ryder is great in this as well. I miss her in films. The movie actually has a very big cast with a variety of actor's. You are shown how doing some pretty dumb thing's can so easily end your life. Though I think the shower scene is the funniest part in the film for me. The film is much better then what the summary describes it to be. It was a great surprise at how much I enjoyed the film and how much I laughed. Great movie for a slow day or night."
Michael G

January 12, 2009
The Darwin Awards is a flawed but oftentimes fun movie. Joseph Fiennes and Winona Ryder are great even if their chemistry is iffy at times. This movie is more of a series of funny parts but as a continuous narrative its really lacking. The casting, cameos or whatever were all across the board and I spent a lot of time watching The Darwin Awards distracted wondering what the hell was going to happen next. Then Metallica showed up. Seriously, Metallica is in this movie. The documentary aspect of this movie was its worst part. I understand that it was trying to hold the story together but mostly it was just annoying.
garyX
garyX

October 25, 2007
Based on the website devoted to people who have removed themselves from the gene pool in variously absurd ways, this cash-in of the idea features Joseph Fiennes doing his best Adrian Monk impersonation as an insurance investigator looking into the claims of those involved. On paper, this sounds like a great idea but what you get is a half arsed episode of the X-Files, except it's "funny". Except it isn't. They just recreate some of the more ridiculous unintentional suicides while Fiennes and Winona Ryder go through the motions of a completely unconvincing romance and pretend to be insightful by spouting Sunday supplement pop psychology. Oh, and there's also a serial killer investigation that couldn't be more tacked on if it was written on a post-it stuck on the front of the DVD box. The whole thing just feels like a pilot episode of a TV series that never got made because it only has one idea that doesn't even stretch to the 80 minutes on display here.
James A

January 4, 2009
A very enjoyable rough film.
Summer W

September 7, 2008
relatively amusing with a lot of fun cameos.
gor41
gor41

October 14, 2007
Plain, dull tale purportedly about the stupid ways people remove themselves from the gene pool but can't resist crowbarring in a romance and serial killer. A starry cast must have been attracted by the premise but only Ryder has any spark.
deano
deano

September 3, 2007
Seemed an okay comedy, weird, but a bit funny to me. I laughed at four victims got injured bandages after the accident when a RV in automotic crashed through the dental building.
Dann M

April 28, 2012
The Darwin Awards is a fun screwball comedy, but has trouble with its storytelling. When a former police detective learns about the Darwin Awards, for those who take themselves out of the gene pool, he tries to develop a system to identify individuals prone to becoming Darwin candidates. The cast is led by Joseph Fiennes and Winona Ryder, and features Tim Blake Nelson, David Arquette, Juliette Lewis, and Metallica. Some of the Darwin cases are fun, but a few of them are too drawn out and too ridiculous. Though the humor is a bit spotty, The Darwin Awards is fairly entertaining and good for some laughs.
Blaster1618
Blaster1618

October 2, 2011
A series of vignettes that never really tied together into a movie. I watched the end over a year ago and figured i missed some action in the beginning that tied it all together. 2nd watching it still as uneven as ever.

Joseph Fiennes tries to portray an Phobic detective (ala Adrian Monk) and fails and Winona Ryder tries to portray a hardened insurance investigator or something and fails.

The movie requires the audience has bought in and attempt to play off this as a base, but without the initial buy-in its a good-concept that turns out as nothing but a mess.
iLeo
iLeo

November 9, 2007
An interesting movie with a sense of humor, looking at life! Intriguing story plot that follows a pair of individuals, a forensic detective and an insurance claims investigator. Joseph Fiennes and Winona Ryder stars. Great cast! Fascinating music. Worth seeing!
Sarah P

September 29, 2007
Something was off about this movie, just below par.
May 23, 2013
Quirky and off-the-wall, "The Darwin Awards" provides an excellent excuse to watch people die from their own stupidity. The documentary style works well for this film, particularly as the cameraman becomes a comedic device by refusing to help in desperate circumstances to preserve the impartiality of the film. The characters are well-written. The only problem with the film is that it is a bit absurd, but it is good for what it is. Joseph Fiennes was a great choice for the lead role, emotionally detached and always deadpan. Winona Ryder also has a nice performance as the sidekick. The transitions to the Darwin Award winners are a bit abrupt but I like the way that they incorporated them into this adventure. Although I wouldn't place this in one of my top 25 comedy films, "The Darwin Awards" is good for a few laughs, a very awkward shower scene (not as bad as it sounds), and several shakes of the head as we are reminded of the stupidity within our society.
emerlyrose
March 20, 2011
Very funny and interesting. Though it was rather now budget looking it gave it a more realistic feel. I'd recommend that everyone try to see it just for the experience of it.
July 18, 2010
Having heard many iffy reviews on this film, I was hesitant - but surprised, when I actually saw it. While not brilliant, it is enjoyable, and certainly had its moments that made me "lol". Some scenes were kind of random and seemed to drag on, but it wasn't too bad. Mostly I just loved Joseph Fiennes character, finding him ridiculous and adorable and a loser, but endearing. All in all, not bad.
arkle
August 6, 2008
I liked it, though not as much as I'd hoped. Also, knowing that Chris Penn passed away shortly before the film was released takes some of the humor out his segment.
July 1, 2008
This film, though it's ideas don't seem fully-developed, has a lot of heart, seen mostly in the sympathy Joseph Fiennes' character has for his fellow man.
sunnygurl113
June 22, 2008
I am a fan of the darwin awards so i thought it was hilarious to see them played out. Wynona was great.
Goldfish81
March 5, 2008
I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. I had never heard of it and it sounded a little silly. It was very entertaining, funny and thought provoking. Joseph Fiennes and Winona Ryder work very well together. Well worth the time to watch it. I highly recommend.
Hamee
February 4, 2008
Very unusual and very fun to watch. The whole point of this movie is to pretty much make fun of the idiots that have seriously injured themselves or killed themselves by being stupid. Many laughs are in your future if you watch this.