• PG-13, 1 hr. 47 min.

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Date Night Reviews

Wildaly M

October 11, 2013
It got me some laughs so it was worth it. Plus, they're quite charismatic.
Jason R

April 6, 2010
It's what happens when Steve Carell and Tina Fey remake Revolutionary Road.
Phil H

April 27, 2010
Reasonable crime caper comedy which survives simply due to it starring Steve Carell :) there isn't too much to offer here, the plot is pretty basic, the acting is standard and the small 'action' sequences are nothing special or exciting, much like 'Get Smart' its good because of the dialog, awkward facial expressions and situations 'Michael Scott' errr Steve Carell gets into hehe problem is you always expect John Krasinski or Rainn Wilson to pop up whenever you see Carell.

Fun film if your bored, nothing to shout about.
Jens S

April 6, 2010
There is no doubt that Tina Fey and Steve Carell belong to the funniest people in the business nowadays. To have their powers combined as a couple who stumbles into a crime story on their night out sounds promising. Sadly, the film does not entirely live up to the promise. There are really funny moments, mostly when Fey channels the humor from her hit show "30Rock", but also a lot of stereotypes and lame sequences. Seeing a lot of great names show up in cameo roles is also a lot of fun. The result is entertaining enough while it lasts, but given the talent involved it misses out on a lot of great opportunities.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

October 11, 2009
This movie is just brilliant, really how many things can go wrong in just one night, in would appear a lot! Its a highly amusing and silly movie that entertains you to no end! Its a great cast and well acted with great comidic leads! Very enjoyable!
blkbomb
blkbomb

November 30, 2011
Claire Foster: If I'm gonna get whacked off, I at least deserve to understand why it's happening... What are you smiling about?

"One ordinary couple. One little white lie."

I liked Date Night a lot more than I thought I would. I didn't know much about it going in and that helped a lot. I didn't know it had such a large cast of big names. I didn't know much about the story and I can honestly say I had a lot of fun watching it. The cast is great, with Steve Carrell and Tina Fey in the lead roles and a supporting cast that features names like Ray Liotta, Mark Wahlberg, William Fichtner, Mark Ruffalo, James Franco, Mila Kunis and Kristen Wiig.

A married couple go out for a date at a new hot seafood spot. Since they have no reservation, they pose as different people in order to get a table. This causes a series of events to open up because two people approach them about a stolen flash drive. The couple gets away and now must track down the real couple in order to end the horrible night.

The movie actually does deliver some laughs. Yeah, it also has its share of horrible, ridiculous and just plain stupid scenes. But the two pretty much balance out and leave the viewer with a pretty easy to like little comedy. There's nothing special or amazing about it; it is as average as they come. The cast makes it well worth the watch though.
Dean !

August 11, 2010
I found this a lot funnier than I expected it to be! The leads have a good chemistry as a simple date night turns out to be a night on the run from some bad guys after a case of mistaken identity. The cast has some cool cameos along the way and just the right mix of action, slapstick and silliness. If you liked Knight & Day you'll like this.
thmtsang
thmtsang

May 8, 2010
Funny movie. A married couple decide to spice up their life by going on a date. They couldn't get a table so took someone else's reservation. Then they are mistaken for blackmailers. Here starts their nightmare of being chased by bent cops for a flashdrive with evidence. My favourite scenes were the boat on the lake and when they returned to the restaurant pretending to look for will.I.ams' mobile. Funny scenes with Mark Wahlberg and James Franco.
Drake T

July 21, 2011
For the most part, disappointing. Date Night rarely utilizes the charisma and quick wit of it's leads. The story itself has trouble gaining any sort of momentum as well, it's a bumpy ride at best.

Still, there are a few scenes that are downright enjoyable but when it's so poorly weaved together you might as well find time for something else like 30 Rock and The Office.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
I really didn't find it that funny.
Kase V

June 19, 2011
'Date Night' finds an honest amount of fun, despite its many flaws. This fun spawns directly from all the great stars of the film, whether it be Carell, Fey, Franco, Kunis, or Whalberg. With talent like this, the film has to be enjoyable, even if the direction is a little misguided at times. Carell's comic touches are as brilliant as ever, and he crafts most of what make the movie good. A good film for any date night.
Matt G

January 23, 2011
Phil Foster: Put on a fucking shirt!

Hilarious movie starring my two favorite people! Watch this if you enjoy non-stop comedy! Just pointing out that it's not meant to be flawless it's just meant to entertain and it succeeds in doing that.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 13, 2011
A funny movie, but truly the end was the only part I almost peed my pants laughing at. It can drag on a lot, but it can also score with flying colors. Steve Carell and Tina Fey are great together. The plot just gets crazier and crazier and follows that "The Hangover" feel that I really loved. Overall I laughed and it was good, but it was not as funny as it could've been.
Sanjay R

April 24, 2011
Not as good as one would hope with Fey and Carrell. The plot runs thin and the jokes mainly revolve around miscellaneous chaos.
BEACHBUNNI
BEACHBUNNI

April 7, 2010
Steve Carrell as Phill Foster and Tina Fey portrays his wife, who are a "normal" couple from New Jersey who decide to go out on the town and have a "Date Night." They roll into New York City from Jersey, where they go to Claw, a hot restaurant in Manhattan. Shunned by the counter people, they are relegated to the $20 a drink bar. Phil gets an idea when an announced couple doesnt show.. they will take their reservation.
This begins a night of mistaken identity. It seems the people they stole their reservation from also are holding a USB memory stick that contains sensitive information and when threatened by some dirty cops, the couple gets away and seeks some help from one of Claires old clients (Mark Wahlberg).
what follows is a night of car chases, shirtlessness (by Wahlberg) and an encounter with the real couple who has the evidence.
movieguru12
movieguru12

April 7, 2010
Laughs at some parts but mostly average. Not as funny as I thought it would be, but Carrell and Fey have some funny parts in this dim-witted dry comedy.
Shawn E

March 14, 2011
Carell and Fey play their parts very well in this romantic comedy. The humorous situations will keep you well entertained as the couple stumble into a troublesome adventure. Do not overlook this one, it was better than I expected.
Michael G

April 4, 2010
When you stop to consider the talent involved with Date Night, this movie should've been so awesome. Steve Carell and Tina Fey alone should've carried this movie but adding a shirtless Mark Wahlberg and cameos from James Franco, Mila Kunis, Mark Ruffalo and Kristen Wiig didn't seem to help so much as hinder the movie. Unfortunately, Date Night seemed like a disappointing, smaller and dopey descendent of North By Northwest with some mandatory plot points/cliches. Carell and Fey had some funny improvised lines and I even laughed out loud a few times but its too bad that I laughed more during the gag reel/credits than I did during the actual movie. Oh, and I've come to the conclusion that Common either kills movies or sucks the promise out of them. You can't name one awesome movie he was in, can you? See?
maxthesax
maxthesax

March 2, 2011
Date Night is a harmless bit of adult comedy that, although written by Josh Klausner, is a perfect copy of the style of Tina Fey's brand of humor. Unfortunately, here the comedy is hit and miss and the saving grace is the underlying message of a middle-aged couple that are comfy in their lives, while wondering where the passion has gone.

What works here is the chemistry between Steve Carell and Tina Fey; you really seem to know this couple and root for them, even through some rather absurd comedy sketches that have a "knowing smile" factor while going wide of the mark on laughs. But the chemistry works really well - and is a necessity in this type of romantic comedy. Taking for example a similar type of film, The Out of Towners, you can easily see the difference chemistry can make - Jack Lemon and Sandy Denis had it, and the remake did not.

The story of the film is the old saw of mistaken identity, and while director Shawn Levy does a nice job of keeping an even pacing, the plot's implausibilities weigh the film down, making it obvious that this is intended as a comic vehicle - an unfortunate choice as the film, quite frankly, isn't all that funny (all the really funny lines were left to the outtakes that rolled over the ending credits - most of which was riffing from Fey).

The acting overall is fairly good, with a shout out to James Franco and Mila Kunis who shine in their brief time on screen as Taste and Whippet, the "other couple" that Carell and Fey get mistaken for.

The final analysis is that Date Night works as a light comedy of a couple of a certain age, dealing with kids and jobs and not having enough time to be more than, as one character puts it "really good roommates", but as a laugh fest it falls well short.