Daughters of the Dust Reviews

bbcfloridabound
October 13, 2008
A Top Ten Independent Film In My Book. Outstanding movie, a eye opener to some unkown history in the United States. Acting was incredable, Kino always has good productions. If you can find it buy it, Or Rent from Net Flix.
February 2, 2008
A very unique film and a valuable addition to the canon of great films on slavery.
October 12, 2007
pasionate and visually stunning movie of gullah culture in the islands off georgia and south carolina. story rings true of trying to hold onto past traditions in a forward moving world. awesome!
August 18, 2007
This was one of the first independent films that I saw at the theater, and I was blown away. The cinematography is beautiful. The setting was lush, and the actors were incredible. This is a film for those who appreciate quality films about family relationships, status of women and African-American history. You also get the opportunity to learn about the Gullah culture.
½ March 4, 2015
Dealing extensively with ideas of the African disspora, Black culture and history, ancestoral guides and social differences, "Daughters of the Dust" is a contemplative and gorgeous piece of filmmaking that lulls it's audience into a relaxed and open state before revealing poignant truths.
February 7, 2015
Beautiful, beautiful film. The structure, which attempts to create a sense of place and history by wandering among the people of Gullah Island as some prepare to move north, is partially successful, but also becomes a bit tiresome.
September 11, 2011
Many critics were recommending this movie as a more authentic alternative to "The Help". I haven't seen that movie, but I can tell you that this is really arty. It has a non-linear narrative, even though it all takes place in one day. There are a lot of scenes in slow motion for some reason, and many times it left me saying "What just happened?" out loud.
½ April 30, 2011
one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen! The sound, the cinematography, the costumes, the characters....all so incredibly beautiful.
½ November 2, 2009
Two hours of nothing. This film is about a family and some of them want to move and some don't and it is all told from the perspective of a character who doesn't exist.
November 9, 2008
Calling daughters of the dust an unusual film is somewhat of an understatement. the film doesn't follow most Hollywood film conventions. That being said i think daughters of the dust is a good film, worth watching for, if nothing else, its originality. it shows the life of a family living on the Gullah islands, days before they plan on moving to mainland America.

The film is quite simple with most of the time spent showing the character's relationships and interactions with each other. The actors in the film do a great job at playing there characters honestly and realistically. Daughters of the Dust intentionally doesn't follow a strong linear plot. Julie dash wanted to create a new kind of film and she seems to have succeeded. The power of this movie is in its images, music and relationships of its character.