Dave - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dave Reviews

½ November 16, 2015
Dave est un film extrêmement divertissant sur le thème de l'idéaliste qui devient une figure politique importante dans son pays. Du coup, il n'y a rien de bien original dans ce film d'Ivan Reitman, mais Dave reste extrêmement sympathique grâce à une jolie interprétation de Kevin Kline et des très nombreux seconds rôles, entre Ving Rhames, Ben Kingsley ou encore Kevin Dunn. Un peu longuet et surtout un peu répétitif, Dave menace souvent de passer du côté mièvre, mais parvient toujours à s'en sortir grâce à une bonne blague. Dave est un parfait film du dimanche soir, familial, prévisible et sympathique.
August 8, 2015
I very much liked dave kevin kline was great it makes you wish we actually had a president like dave kovic
½ July 4, 2015
While perhaps a little over optimistic about cabinet members's enthusiasm for budget cuts to support homeless shelters, DAVE manages to somehow pull you out of the cynicism modern-day politics has wrought. With such intelligent acting and scriptwriting, it's hard not to like Dave - character or eponymous film - and hope that there are already Daves somewhere in the government, working on worthwhile issues.
½ June 2, 2015
Very underrated "what if" presidential film
½ April 8, 2015
This type movie is as old as Hollywood itself but the do it up right here......somewhat right that is.
½ March 5, 2015
My favorite Kevin Kline film.
July 9, 2013
A really good, thought-provoking presidential film. (A-)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
½ December 27, 2014
Charming entertainment.
March 24, 2014
The concept of a look alike taking the place of the president is of course unrealistic, but that isn't the point of the movie. Dave is just showing its audience a case of someone helping people while knowing he will never receive any credit for it, simply because he genuinely wants to make the world a better place. There aren't many things greater than that and Reitman's direction and Kline's performance capture it perfectly.
July 29, 2010
From what I remember it is rather funny at times..
December 10, 2014
The President has a stroke that leaves him near death, and the corrupt chief of staff wants to take over, instead of ceding authority to the "boy scout" VP. So he hires an actor who looks like the President, and plays the President in comedic appearances. Kevin Kline is the look alike (Dave), Sigourney Weaver is the President's wife, and Frank Langella is the chief of staff. This is a heartwarming, inspirational story about a man who tries to do what's right, and a wonderful romantic story about his growing love for the President's wife.
November 8, 2014
2014-11-08 rewatched for 2nd time
June 18, 2007
One of the best political movies after the American President
October 27, 2014
Dave is probably my favourite Kevin Kline movie. Dave also led me to the knowledge that Frank Langella is a brilliant, excellent actor one can ever hope for. Sigourney Weaver proved that she can be so much more than just being that brave Ripley we used to know! The script is absolutely fantastic and though it could be slightly predictable as the story goes along. Dave is still one of the best. And it warms your heart, too!!
October 24, 2014
For a comedy there aren't many laughs. Kevin Kline is good as always but I just found the whole thing too family friendly and safe. The idea that "common" people could do a better job in politics than politicians because, apparently, they are immune to the lures of power and corruption, is an annoying fantasy that gets shoved in your face with this film.
½ February 15, 2010
(First and only viewing - 1/30/2009)
½ August 1, 2007
This is the kind of movie that they sadly don't make any more. "The President is ill, so they find your average Joe American and make him President". It sounds like just the kind of fish-out-of-water schlock that if made today would be awful and slapstick and probably star Eddie Murphy in a fatsuit, but in these hands it's a wonderful, understated and deftly handled comedy. A classic comedy film.
½ February 28, 2013
Under intense lobbying from a friend who loves Kevin Kline, Dave was said to be a film that could not be missed.

Although I felt like Dave wasn't as funny as it really deserved to be.
While I felt like the material in Dave was clever as its story followed a strongly original concept and truthfully depicted the nature of the white house while satirically examining the nature of American politics as a whole, it just wasn't the right kind of funny on a consistent basis. It was easy to look at Dave and think "that's clever" and "that's funny" but not so easy to really find myself laughing. I know Dave is a comedy, but I didn't find that it had the comedic energy to really leave audiences likely to laugh too much. Perhaps the film is dated and perhaps politics simply isn't that funny a concept, but Dave didn't have me laughing. It had me entertained and I admired its clever comedic elements, but I didn't laugh at them. I guess its satirical edge was a loose one, and its examination of political comedy really didn't stretch as far as other films have such as Warren Beatty's 1998 political satire Bulworth. To contrast the two, Dave was lighter in nature but didn't examine dramatic elements as deeply as Bulworth, nor did it present many situations that left me laughing. The doesn't mean that Dave is a bad film, it simply means that its the kind of comedy film funny for its material and concept moreso than its jokes.
And the other thing was that the energy didn't feel all in there. While the script was a clever one which was truthful and effective, it could have been funnier if its delivery was a little more charged. The actors all give a fine effort, but if director Ivan Reitman had taken an angle which gave more passion to the script treatment and tried harder to ensure that the comedic delivery was more energetic, then Dave would most likely be funnier. The film felt real, but perhaps almost too real to soar into comedic territory all that much.
But like I said, I still enjoyed Dave.
I enjoyed it more as a light dramedy with a comedic concept than as a single handed comedy. I found that it began as a comedy and then took a really meaningful look into the political world. While touching upon certain concepts rather lightly, it still did it in an amiable way. It examines the somewhat reckless nature of politics and how some people carelessly throw millions of dollars away over senseless campaigns and such. Without being a self-indulgent criticism of the White House, Dave stands to make some strong political points of its own while working as a parody of them. Essentially, it manages to find the right balance between being a satire of politics and a straight political film which isn't always easy to do.
And it looks at everything intelligently because Dave refuses to become burdened by an excess of talking with too many big words, because while the script uses intelligent themes and language, it also takes a lot of clever and humourous looks at a better way to actually run a country which makes it a politically intelligent film. The script in Dave makes a valid commentary on the political system while giving it a nice satirical edge without going into over-the-top gags. The fact is that Dave is a funny film for its jokes and for the fact that it is possible that such a story could happen, as well as revealing what happen when a person goes into politics with the intention of pleasing people who deserve a fair go in life, instead of for monetary gain. Dave is a film that a lot of politicians need to look at and come to the realisation of how things could improve.
The thing that is most great about Dave is Kevin Kline's performance. The man is a comedy genius, and he proves that by playing the titular role in Dave. Kevin Kline steps into the part and performs it with depth and passion and delivers his lines with true dedication to the character. You can see that it is no challenge for him because he seamlessly deviates between playing a character and playing a character playing his own character easily by putting his natural charisma into the part. Dave features one of Kevin Kline's best performances to date because he carries the entire film from start to finish with a charismatic and hilarious leading performance. He delivers his lines with natural leading charisma, and it encourages him to progress through the story every step of the way as if the character he plays is his genuine persona. Kevin Kline carries the comedic nature of Dave on his shoulders very well, and it reminds us just how funny he is in a leading performance.
Sigourney Weaver is a nice presence in Dave because she easily steps into the role of First Lady Ellen Mitchell with charm and sophistication without challenge. She embodies the level of class necessary to the part without challenge and serves to produce a great chemistry with Kevin Kline. Sigourney Weaver's restrained but meaningful effort in Dave produces a romantic edge for the film which is played off very nicely and contributes to the characterisation of the titular Dave very nicely. Sigourney Weaver is genial in Dave.
And Ving Rhames is always a good presence, taking on the role of the President's Bodyguard with ease and well timed line delivery, as well as the fact that he physically fits the profile of the part well.

So although Dave did not prove to be quite as funny as I had hoped, it was a very cleverly written political satire which had a nice light nature, a sufficient quantity of laughs and a great leading performance from Kevin Kline who successfully holds the film up on his shoulders.
April 21, 2014
Star Kevin Kline is known for his ability to play a range of characters, and "Dave" manages to highlight this, with Ivan Reitman casting Kline as both the morally bankrupt President of the United States, as well as his over-excited body double, who fills in as President following a medical inicident.

Kline occupies these roles with ease, and can switch between them seemingly at will. Supported by a raft of stars including Sigourney Weaver, Frank Langella, Ben Kingsley, Ving Rhames and Laura Linney, and featuring cameos from the likes of Jay Leno, Larry King and Arnold Schwarzenegger, the plot and the script combine to form a funny, thought-provoking trifle of a film.