91% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

44% Working the Engels: Season 1

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Reviews

Edward B

July 10, 2014
VERDICT: MIDNIGHT SCREENING WORTHY -
Audiences and filmmakers take note. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is one of the best films of 2014. You see it uses this thing called "mood." You may be unfamiliar with this concept cuz it isn't used in big movies today. It's created through manipulation of the setting, themes, and tone.
Dialogue is used to move the plot forward, not for lame attempts at humour. Characters are defined by their actions, not through exposition.
The film also proves you can have awesome fight scenes with groundbreaking CGI and use it to enhance your story rather than making it the story.
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is not a product of business decisions (yeah Michael Bay I'm referring to you). It's opening weekend hasn't been pre-bought by the studio (again Michael Bay looking at you). It's a film with intelligence, artistic integrity, and parallels to our present day world. There's still hope for Hollywood yet.
Bradley W

September 2, 2013
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is not just a film, its an experience that goes beyond the normal tropes of summer films and delivers a sequel that goes above and beyond its predecessor in every way. I loved 'Rise' but it was only the beginning of what we all now know is to be a beautiful franchise. Sure, we had Planet of the Apes films from the 60's, but it has become clear that these rebooted films are new life for a dead series. Andy Serkis as Caesar is once again a phenomenal performance that brings into question why the Academy won't just give him the Oscar already. It doesn't matter of course, seeing as Serkis is a master of motion-capture to life each time and makes Caesar a real and living character. Jason Clark and Gary Oldman play great performances, but are still overshined by Serkis's performance. Toby Kebbell as Koba plays a brilliant and notable performance, one that also shows how motion-capture should be considered real acting by now. Its a story and script so well written that you don't know where it will go next, and it will break your heart if you let it. This emotional and intense thrill ride will grab you from the opening scene, watching as a society of intelligent apes now survive in a post-apocalyptic San Francisco. The scenery is beautiful and the darker tone shows how much the great directing job from Matt Reeves paid off. The special effects were arguaby some of the best ever brought to film, or at least the best motion-capture since Avatar. Everything blew me away from start to finish, but its how the story and characters unfold that makes 'Dawn' one of the best films all year. Truly a masterful work of filmmaking and this manages to be a sequel that will make you glad you love movies. Thank you, Matt Reeves and Andy Serkis. Thank you both.
April 29, 2013
This movie is so good. the storyline is excellent. The action was great. I would really suggest seeing this movie this summer.
July 8, 2014
I mean, how can I NOT give it 5 stars? The sheer scope, visuals, and action are impressive enough to warrant a viewing amongst all the other blockbuster we get. But the fact this film goes beyond that is what makes it truly special. The emotional presence builds for something immensely strong and the undertones of man vs nature, man vs animal, and war are what push for something impressive, and truly special. This is what I've been saying the entire time. Blockbusters CAN be smart, and they CAN be special - and this film is proof, and can we just give Andy Serkis an Oscar? He conveyed the most emotion I've seen this year through motion capture alone. If that isn't impressive and high caliber acting, I don't know what is. Appreciate and embrace films like this. Films that do stuff new and prove that action films can be so much more if you just add humanity and genuine emotion to it. I can't see any blockbuster beating this for a while.
erichof
June 17, 2014
Best blending of Special Effects I think I've ever seen! If Andy Serkis DOES NOT get an Academy Award nomination for this... its all a SHAM!
July 11, 2014
Very good movie. Fits in well with the originale Planet Of The Apes from years ago and leaves an opening for 2 more movies.
October 3, 2012
Good- Vfx. That's a given these days. Some shots will remind you of I am Legend.
The ape community they set up and the play between Koba and Caesar.
Jason Clarke may lack the Franco charm but still a good actor to keep your interest.
Andy Serkis deserves a mention here! I want to see him in some actual human role now!
Bad- Lacked emotional depth from the previous one.
Gary Oldman got the same treatment as Bryan Cranston did in Godzilla.
Also, the first half seemed dragged out and pointless, just to add to the runtime of the movie, which on a whole felt just a set up for future sequels, which is something nearly ALL the releases this year have done!

The sequel trend is heading in the wrong direction when it comes to story-telling!

Disappointed more than others perhaps, being my second most awaited movie of the year, and remembering how much more I liked the first part! As a standalone movie, there is nothing wrong with Dawn. Would even get a 4/5. But as a sequel I expect a lot more.
nerdingsince1996
June 18, 2014
one hell of a movie

honestly, i don't know where to start. but, i guess i'll start with what i love the most about this movie which is the visual effect. they makes apes so interesting, i can watch a half an hour close up of those apes, with all variation of emotions. so many details. beside the apes, other scenes which need a visual effect also done beautifully. other aspects like cinematography and directing style also come close. Mark Revees definitely knew what he's doing. the epic scenes were very well handled. it was emotional and well... epic. and most importantly, we are all saved from the lame, dumb, overly done humors. thank god.

there were none that i dislike about it. but, somewhere around 45 minutes in, i got rather bored. they were just arguing. this is a very important part of the story, so they should have make it more exciting. but, there were still exciting parts slipped in though... one thing i hate is the cliché 'you were rained with bullets and survive without a scratch' kind of thing. come on, people, what are the odds? anyway, you should watch this...worth the money... awesome smart movie... if you like DOFP... this one is in the same level...
July 11, 2014
More of a drama than an action/adventure and anchored by great direction and some lofty Shakespearean themes, the sequel resonates with unexpected emotion and tension, despite its laborious pace.
July 11, 2014
While it leaves you wondering where the next film in the series will take us, "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" is truly the Dark Knight of the Apes series. Matt Reeves, with the help of groundbreaking CG paired with highly emotive motion capture performances (Andy Serkis at his best), has created a perfect summer blockbuster that balances exciting action and intelligent drama.
July 11, 2014
This is one of the best movies of the year, The CGI is amazing and breath-taking, Andy Serkis truly deserves an Oscar for this movie honestly this make you feel fro computer monkeys the plot the treats and situations these characters are truly gripping and interesting, the humans as well as the apes. Both have complex situations and the obstacles and the learn and evolve form this time I love this movie. I can't wait for the sequel. The best money I've paid for this entire year.
November 3, 2013
A standout sequel. A+
jvcarroll
July 11, 2014
A solid, compelling entry into the annals of Ape history.
July 2, 2014
Intense, emotionally deep, and thematically relevant, "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" is a film that transcends being just a summer popcorn flick and becomes a new modern masterpiece.
July 11, 2014
ok so I am a BIG Planet of the Apes fan (sorry not of the Tim Burton Version...no one likes that one) so when Rise of the Planet of the Apes came out and was pretty good...I went Ape...now we have Dawn of the Planet of the Apes...it's even better though a bit on the bleak & melodramatic side...it takes itself very seriously...it didn't need that heavy of a tone because the Ape does not Kill Ape/ don't trust the humans storyline is strong enough...the Performance of Andy Serkis? (is the Academy watching?) & the other motion capture /acting apes are really great as well as Jason Clarke...so stop monkeying around and GO see it in the dark with strangers...
July 11, 2014
Incredible. The best movie I've seen all year.
July 11, 2014
Loosely inspired by Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973), Dawn of the Planet of The Apes manages to be even better than Rise of the Planet of The Apes (2011) in lots of ways thanks to the great script with highly engaging and intense proceedings with great characters. The only negative factor which may work against for many people (not me!) is the slow development in the 1st hour leading up to epic 2nd hour. The performances from all stunt men and actors bringing life to these apes transcend the visual brilliance. Andy Serkis delivers one of his most satisfying performances to date. His dedication and his understanding of every thread and fiber of Caesars being are in every frame of this film. & of course the all-out, aggressive performance from Toby Kebbell as Koba. He breaks the barrier of something quite terrifying and strong. Unlike its prequel, the human characters except for Jason Clarke don't have much to do, especially its a shame to see Gary Oldman being wasted. Nevertheless Dawn of the Planet of the Apes transcends the Hollywood blockbuster. Not only does it deliver that rare sequel explores its world and characters further, but it's also richly told, beautifully and hauntingly portrayed and truly exciting and terrifying in equal measures making it the best film of 2014 so far.
July 11, 2014
Maaaan. wow. CG mixed with people can be tricky, but this is completely convincing. Moments when I was trying to spot the inconsistencies in the animation, I couldn't.
July 11, 2014
completely realistic CGI and fantastic performance of the apes. Emotional story as well.