Critics Consensus: Daybreakers Has Bite

Plus, scratch Leap Year from you calendar, and Youth in Revolt is a clever lark.

This week at the movies, we've got a vampire virus (Daybreakers, starring Ethan Hawke and Willem Dafoe); a romantic road trip (Leap Year, starring Amy Adams and Matthew Goode); and a teenage wasteland (Youth in Revolt, starring Michael Cera and Portia Doubleday). What do the critics have to say?
67%
Template Image
Fresh

Daybreakers

Given the recent glut of vampire flicks, Daybreakers needs a little something extra to stand out -- a healthy dose of dystopia, maybe? Well, critics say the result is a skillful B-movie that should please both horror and action fans. Ethan Hawke stars as a scientist who's desperately working on a substitute for blood -- which is essential, since the world's human population is dying off and being replaced by O positive-thirsty vampires. He soon joins a group of humans who are forming an underground resistance to the bloodsucking majority. The pundits say Daybreakers is smart, atmospheric, and energetic, and if it doesn't fully live up to its strong premise, it's still a better-than-average horror/action picture.

21%
Template Image
Rotten

Leap Year

Amy Adams is darned likable. However, critics say her winsome screen presence can only go so far in redeeming the predictable, laugh-deficient romantic comedy Leap Year. Adams stars as Anna, who decides to travel to Dublin to pop the question to her dithering long-term boyfriend. However, after travel problems, she's forced to make the trek with good-looking but combative Declan (Matthew Goode). Will these crazy kids find love along the way? The pundits say Leap Year wastes the charm of its leads on a bland, unfunny, utterly generic story. Check out this week's Total Recall, in which we count down Adams' best-reviewed films.)

66%
Template Image
Fresh

Youth in Revolt

Nobody plays a sensitive nebbish quite like Michael Cera. But can he play cool? Smooth? The critics say Youth in Revolt benefits greatly from a strong dual performance from Cera, and the result is a funny, charming comic lark. Cera stars as Nick Twisp, a precocious teenager who becomes enamored with dreamgirl Sheeni (Portia Doubleday). However, she's more into bad boys, so Twisp concocts a roguish, devil-may-care alter ego, Francois Dillinger, in order to win her. The pundits say Cera shows interesting range, and Doubleday has the potential to be a big star, even if Youth in Revolt occasionally lapses into predictability.

Also opening this week in limited release:

• Sweetgrass, a picturesque documentary about modern-day cowboys in Montana, is at 92 percent.
  • Bitch Slap, an exploitation film homage/parody about three bad girls who've run afoul of a criminal syndicate, is at 40 percent.
  • Wonderful World, starring Matthew Broderick in a dramedy about a washed-up children's entertainer who learns to lighten up, is at 30 percent.

Comments

inactive user

Jared King

"Leap Year" is this years "Bride Wars". It looks like one of the worst rom coms since...well, "Did You Hear About the Morgans". From like, three weeks ago.

And "Daybreakers" looks...meh, and I'm so tired of Michael Cera playing the same character.

Jan 7 - 04:35 PM

Bob Hope

Damn, this guy hates Bride Wars. Not that I disagree with you or anything, I've just seen you cite it in a ton of your comments.

But anyway, Daybreakers is slipping fast.

D:

Come on Daybreakers, I need something to watch this weekend. And I'd much prefer this to Youth in Revolt, even though it looks better than the usual teen comedy. And Leap Year just looks downright awful.

Jan 7 - 06:21 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Yeah, it's an abomination.

Jan 7 - 08:33 PM

inactive user

Jared King

And there's a movie called "***** Slap". Oookay then.

Jan 7 - 04:37 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Okay, censor that. But will you censor "Cocksucker Blues"?

Jan 7 - 04:38 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Okay, censor that. But will you censor "Cocksucker Blues"?

Jan 7 - 04:38 PM

Chris B.

Chris Bellew

I think its Daybreakers for me. or maybe Avatar again...

Jan 7 - 05:05 PM

Merc With a Mouth

Sawyer Jackson

Goddammit, can anybody make a good romantic comedy anymore. Seriously, it's not that hard.

Jan 7 - 05:10 PM

Jpeffer

Jake Peffer

(500) Days of Summer is one of the best romantic comedies to come out in quite sometime.

Daybreakers and Youth in Revolt both look interesting so I might check them out.

Jan 7 - 05:56 PM

Dan H.

Dan Hass

500 Days of Summer is very deliberate to point out that it is not a romance... From like the first voice over.

But it is comedy...

Jan 7 - 09:01 PM

Jpeffer

Jake Peffer

I know they say its not but it clearly has plenty of elements of a romantic comedy. I found it to be more of a comedy though too, but either way it was good.

Jan 8 - 12:16 AM

JRM

Raul M

I'm still very excited to see Daybreakers. :) If it sucks I could always go back to another showing of Avatar, lol.

Jan 7 - 05:10 PM

vitajex

Mike M

ledawg, buddy, you do realize that when you argue with yourself on message boards, people will want to put corks on your forks...

Jan 7 - 05:12 PM

inactive user

Jared King

It's the Gollum effect.

Jan 7 - 05:26 PM

rt-ryan

Ryan Fujitani

I dunno, Sawyer. I think the recent few years have proven that making a good romcom is actually harder than one might like to think...

Jan 7 - 05:15 PM

inactive user

Jared King

It's the Gollum effect.

Jan 7 - 05:26 PM

dmavd

Del P. Martinis

Once for Avatar was enough!

Jan 7 - 05:32 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

ledawg makes me laugh. . .

I like his posts.

Jan 7 - 05:48 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Thanks.

Did you hear about the kidnapping? Then the kid woke up! HA! Not funny? Not funny.

Jan 7 - 05:53 PM

ScytheofAzrael

Omar Siddiqui

I actually found that hilarious.

Also, I feel like this month is full of generic crappy releases (at least in terms of wide release).

Jan 7 - 06:19 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

That's January for ya. But just wait until next month when the really generic stuff comes out.

I think we all knew Daybreakers wasn't going to hold it's glowing 100% for long, but it was kind of refreshing to see a vampire movie with that rating. Let's hope it's as good as 62% of critics are saying it is.

Jan 7 - 06:46 PM

ScytheofAzrael

Omar Siddiqui

Shutter Island is coming out in February. :) Dunno, looking forward to that a teeny bit more than Jan.

Jan 7 - 07:10 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. And I'm such a big Scorcese fan, I should slap myself for not remembering that.

Jan 7 - 07:27 PM

Bob Hope

As another user said, it's January. Go and look at all the wide-release January movies for last year. If I recall correctly, there was not a single one with a fresh T-meter rating.

Jan 7 - 09:18 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Thanks.

Jan 7 - 05:53 PM

ScytheofAzrael

Omar Siddiqui

I actually found that hilarious.

Jan 7 - 06:19 PM

Jan 7 - 06:46 PM

ScytheofAzrael

Omar Siddiqui

Jan 7 - 07:10 PM

Jan 7 - 07:27 PM

Bob Hope

Jan 7 - 09:18 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Isn't that movie, "B tch Slap", a documentary about Cutler?

Jan 7 - 05:54 PM

Jpeffer

Jake Peffer

Jan 7 - 05:56 PM

Dan H.

Dan Hass

But it is comedy...

Jan 7 - 09:01 PM

Jpeffer

Jake Peffer

Jan 8 - 12:16 AM

waffleslayer

Eric Fowler

Is anybody really surprised to find out that Leap year is terrible?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Jan 7 - 05:59 PM

ScytheofAzrael

Omar Siddiqui

I actually found that hilarious.

Jan 7 - 06:19 PM

Jan 7 - 06:46 PM

ScytheofAzrael

Omar Siddiqui

Jan 7 - 07:10 PM

Jan 7 - 07:27 PM

Bob Hope

Jan 7 - 09:18 PM

Bob Hope

But anyway, Daybreakers is slipping fast.

D:

Jan 7 - 06:21 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Yeah, it's an abomination.

Jan 7 - 08:33 PM

Nicole M.

Nicole McLaughlin

I have zero desire to see "Leap Year." It looks painfully formulaic, regardless of how sweet Amy Adams may be; I don't want sweet.

"Youth In Revolt" looks Netflix-worthy. I like Cera, but he does play the same thing everytime. His character's alter ego may be pretty good, though.

"Daybreakers" should be nice in an anti-Twilight way.

I also don't want to see "Sweetgrass." Why is it that all of these documentaries get such good reviews? Docs are not my thing.

Jan 7 - 06:35 PM

Jan 7 - 06:46 PM

ScytheofAzrael

Omar Siddiqui

Jan 7 - 07:10 PM

Jan 7 - 07:27 PM

ScytheofAzrael

Omar Siddiqui

Jan 7 - 07:10 PM

Movies for Tax Day
Movies for Tax Day

Your tax dollars at work, in movies.

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies