17% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Daybreakers Reviews

John M

January 10, 2010
I liked it just for the fact it was a completely different approach on the genre than i was use to. Coming from fairly new directors Ill give them leeway on any plot holes and or mistakes made. overall i enjoyed it.
Phil H

February 3, 2010
Again I must go against many bad reviews here as I quite liked this vampire tale. Some of the ideas in this film are really good, I loved how the human race has adapted to being vampires by building huge tunnel walkways under the cities (like subways) for getting about during the daylight and how cars are kitted out with daylight protection and UV alerts.

It's really quite cool and I would love my car to be like that hehe I also like the look of the vamps in this universe, simple pale faces with yellowish clear eyes that reflect light wonderfully, simple but effective and not everyone is a good looking gaunt vamp either which is more believeable. Other little bits like the death of a vampire when exposed to sunlight or struck through the heart was nice too, good explosions and ember usage although not a very original way of doing it. Much like the plot and the now overused 'world has been infected by virus leaving only a handful of resistance' story.

Things I didn't like about this film was firstly the way in which Hawke changes back to a human, I don't get how that worked, he just flashes himself to the sun for a few seconds??...huh?. Second was the casting of Dafoe and his character. Willem just didn't seem into it properly if you ask me, he wasn't given much to do and his acting was beyond normal cheese levels where as the rest weren't too bad, I stress weren't too bad, Neill being the best of course.

Lastly was the mutation of vampires into bat-like Nosferatu looking vampire creatures if they didn't get blood to feed on. I just felt that was stupid and not needed, why would they change into big bats??. Just about on par with the first 'Underworld', just.
garyX
garyX

January 6, 2010
Vampirism has spread throughout humanity to the point where they vastly outnumber the normal humans who have been turned into livestock to replenish the rapidly diminishing stocks of blood. Daybreakers was a really nice surprise. In the seemingly endless parade of pointless vampire films it has a really fresh feel to it as it puts a different spin on the idea rather than rehashing the same old schtick. Ethan Hawke has made a career out of playing off beat, vulnerable anti-heroes and Sam Neill and Willem Dafoe bring their usual dominating presences to the screen which combined with some really nice production design and a smart script makes for a refreshingly different fang flick. My only reservation was with the open ended conclusion which made me think that the Spierig brothers were more interested in angling for a sequel than presenting the audience with a satisfying conclusion to the story, but as a whole it's easily one of the best vampire films I've seen of late.
Anthony L

May 22, 2013
Daybreakers was a very nice surprise, finally, an intelligent Vampire film that is as clever as it is full of action and gore. It's has every component a good modern Vampire film needs and also questions what Vampirism is and what it means, all set within a dystopian society. There are hints of the questions of hidden desires, addiction and religion and also that of control and power, over the years the Vampire has been used as a symbol of many different things, all are explored subtly and cleverly in this film. The cast is pretty good too, everyone pulling their weight and convincing in their roles. It's a great idea and they succeeded in bringing it to its potential, on quite a small budget in the grand scheme of things too. I applaud and look forward to seeing more from the brothers Spierig.
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

June 10, 2012
In a world run by vampires who farm humans for their blood, a hematologist discovers the cure.
I liked the film's unique take on the vampire genre, the idea that with all their extraordinary powers, it's unlikely that vampires would live in an Anne Rice level of hiding and self-despair. By extension, it's unlikely that vampires would abandon human vices like greed and a power-hungry obsession with controlling others, so the Sam Neill character was an excellent villain both thematically and in the actor's performance.
Ethan Hawke may be trying to be understated and soulful, but mostly, he looks weary and disinterested. What motivates Edward's care for humans? Why does he find himself and his predicament despicable? The Anne Rice level of existential despair should at least make a mild comeback if he's going to be the film's protagonist. As an actor, Hawke often makes the mistake of thinking that his brooding looks and absent demeanor do all the character work necessary to keep us interested, but when he's partnered with a personality as big as Willem Dafoe's, Hawke shrinks into the scenery. I also thought that some of the plot twists in the third act were predictable.
Overall, the ideas necessary for good science fiction are actually here, but the story and Ethan Hawke's performance kept Daybreakers from being a stronger film.
Jens S

June 26, 2009
This horror action-thriller follows the premise of a virus turning the majority of humanity into vampires by 2009, with the thirst for blood turning humans almost entirely extinct ten years later. When a hematologist discovers the resistance during his search for a blood substitute, things get messy. You gotta give the film credit for using all the classic vampire tropes (sunlight, no reflection etc.) and yet feeling really fresh. It works because the ingredients do: the acting is decent, the cinematography really great, the plot remains unpredictable and keeps you on the edge of your seat. There are also plenty of shock effects and some graphic splatter, but the humor isn't neglected either. An all around fun and exciting ride, even if the ending is probably a tad too open for the majority of viewers.
Nathan H.
Nathan H.

December 28, 2011
After over a decade of either stylized action or mushy romanticized vampire films, audiences have been given a movie that pumps new blood into this undead genre. This film looks at a world that is dominated by vampires, and then sheds some light our own human world. When a young sympathetic hematologist meets a rare human, he discovers a cure for vampirism, but is a cure wanted? Daybreakers is intriguing, dark, aggressive, and adventurous. And with fresh twists and marvelous symbolism, it does well for the eyes, and the mind.
Edward B

June 8, 2011
Thanks to the current "pussyfication" of vampires - I'm looking at you Twilight - Daybreakers seems like it's coming out at a time where it's too old school to really connect with an audience. I really hope that's not the case, because this simply is a great film. It is a wonderful example of a genre film done right, mixing horror and action together with some intriguing subplots and a subtle sense of humour.
The Spierig Brothers wrote and directed this film. They've obviously put a lot of thought into their script and it shows. Their attention to detail in creating the vampire world suggests that vampires live pretty much the same lives as humans when they're not feeding on them. The central conflict reveals just how reliant on humans vampires really are, and in a world without humans to feed on, the vampire population would die off.
Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe, Sam Neill, and Isabel Lucas all create very sympathetic characters. You wouldn't think a horror film would boast great acting, but Daybreakers combines an ensemble cast who all put in a lot of effort. Without spoiling the plot, which never gets too convoluted or cheesy, Daybreakers takes wild twists and turns, creating a world that is both authentic and believable. The action scenes will excite you, the scary scenes will make you jump, and the comedic scenes are hysterical. What more could you want from a genre picture?
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 10, 2011
I actually enjoyed this vampire movie. It had a very well made plot and acting. The concept is a very smart and good one. I felt it didn't explore the concept enough with it being very short. Out of all the crappy vampire movies ive seen, this movie is a fresh breath of air from the crap we usually see.
Shawn E

March 14, 2011
This movie was not so great. The best thing about the movie was the blood and gore effects, but that's it.
Matt G

January 23, 2011
The first 20 minutes are great, but the film gets worse and worse throughout.

Grade: C-
Thomas J

December 18, 2010
A new twist on a vampire story. Just to see a new twist on the traditional vampire movies makes this a fun movie to watch. Knowing why no Oscar nominations were given but none the less an enjoyable way to kill a dull evening.
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

October 30, 2009
I really enjoyed this interesting modern spin on the ancient tale of the vampire.

I loved the mythology they created and found the story and visuals to be very creative and extremely interesting. Especially all of the cool "vampire-tech" stuff.

I have only two complaints:

- found the music to be off putting and slightly inappropriate, almost an after thought.

- I found the world that they created SO interesting...that I would have enjoyed seeing the whole story told in more detail as perhaps a miniseries.
Fernando Rafael Q

January 6, 2010
In these times so saturated with vampires, we now get Daybreakers, a film by the brothers Spierig. The filmmaking duo shows a dystopian society in the near future, in which vampires have become the predominant species. Ethan Hawke plays the main character, Edward (a character that shares a name, but not much more, with the hero from the inferior vampiric saga, Twilight). It's actually nice to watch Ethan Hawke onscreen since he's been mostly absent from it for a while.

Portraying a vampire yet again is Willem Dafoe. Sadly, his "Elvis" is such a loathsome, clichéd, weak character you can't help but feel sorry for the talented actor forced to utter his strange lines, which is even sadder because Dafoe rarely disappoints. Ben Nott's cinematography, along with all the futuristic visuals is a strong asset of Daybreakers, vaguely reminiscent of Timur Bekmambetov's Nochnoy Dozor and Dnevnoy Dozor.

Despite the numerous plot-holes and some poor performances, Daybreakers is very entertaining, especially in the gory, violent action sequences, perfectly set to Christopher Gordon's score. The film sometimes overstates the obvious, while failing to fully explain other more complex aspects, which may confuse the viewer. The orgiastic final scene is just plain ridiculous.
Lanning :

October 15, 2010
I'm still of the mind that movies should be entertaining first. This one misses that basic boat. Not even funny either -- which is what something this inane needs most. If there were ever a good candidate for a Jay and Silent Bob walk-through, this would be the one. How does Sam Neill continue to get work? Talk about a charmed life. Brother , , ,
Leigh R

January 31, 2010
Friends said I had to see this movie. Have to admit it turned out to be pretty freakin' good. Great story and Ethan was super hot in this movie.
Alexis N

August 25, 2010
Wow. What a clever/great idea for a vampire flick. It's not just another vampire movie, that's for sure. There's so much blood, gore and many creeps. I wish there was more of the crazy blood thirsty vampires, so I hope they make another one. More zombie vampires!! I loved the movie, it was a good ride and Willem Defore is awesome! There is a lot more blood and blood drinking in this movie, more so than any other, I thought.

I thought there could be hidden messages in the movie.. yes to indoor tanning, maybe blood is oil and there's a shortage. I don't know.
Screeny
Screeny

July 8, 2010
A joy from start to almost middle...but then the film looses it touch. When I say looses its touch, it sorta jumps off a bridge and goes out of its way with dark twists and silly explanations on what "The Cure" is.
The Gandiman
The Gandiman

January 22, 2010
Erratic and sometimes illogical "Daybreakers" misses the mark.