Daylight Reviews

September 20, 2012
Take 'The Poseidon Adventure' and simply place the whole idea underground in a tunnel and you have the film 'Daylight'.

This film has everything you would expect from your typical disaster film. The film starts by slowly building the characters one by one, giving them each reasons why they all end up using Holland Tunnel, whilst at the same time another sub plot sets up the reason for the disaster.

The reason for the outrageous incident is merely a car chase that causes a major crash into some toxic waste trucks...yeah so kinda lame then. All the survivors are the perfect line up of cliched stereotypical types which enables you to know who will live or die straight away. The setups for each type of character are all so obvious too...convicts and a cop, the old man, the panicky women and the one calm one etc...

You have a mouthy young black man who's also a touchy convict (gee I wonder if he lives?), a frail old white guy, screaming panicky women, the suit wearing business man, a wannabe hero, some other young convicts including Stallone's son, a cop and a tunnel worker. So you have one or two folk who are trapped there conveniently so all hope is not lost straight away eg. tunnel worker and cop. Most are obvious fodder for the collapsing/flooding/flaming tunnel.

What disaster film would be complete without the obligatory animal within the death and destruction?. Well this film doesn't let you softies off as there is (as usual) a dog involved which ALWAYS gets the viewers upset. Such an easy way to get the emotions running when the little doggie is in peril, its cliched, predictable and cheesy as hell but it never fails to work.

So into the fray leaps Stallone who has nothing to do with anything but just turns up and decides to save the day single handily against all recommendations from everyone. Oh wait, he used to be a chief medical something or other, meh...its Stallone, doesn't need a reason.

Despite the heavy grilled cheese the film does actually look really sound. All the effects/stunts look great and don't look seem to use too much CGI, bluescreen is evident and obvious but its not that bad. The initial disaster that sparks a chain reaction of events and a huge fireball is pretty impressive I must say, some good model work in there I think also. From there on the whole film constantly looks impressive with great sets that really give a good impression of a crumbling death trap with plenty of water, fire, rubble, metal debris and sparking electrics into the brew.

So yes the entire thing is one huge melted cheese sandwich which we've all seen before and know off by heart. You could say if you've seen one disaster film you've seen them all. Certainly this is very obvious stuff but its still quite enjoyable to watch mainly because it all looks really good. The tunnel setting is also quite original methinks.
June 18, 2011
Overwought and thinly sketched disaster flick but buoyed by a cast that delivers better than decent performances. Stallone, Mortensen, and Bloom are standouts.
FilmFanatik
½ April 23, 2007
A pretty terrible movie for such a decent cast. It reminds me of The Poseidon Adventure for some reason.
September 24, 2009
Dayshite. It wants to be the Poseidon adventure, in a tunnel but it doesn?t succeed !
movieguru12
September 7, 2008
Another one of Stallone's best. :) I love it. :) Just a great & fantastic movie. :)
August 15, 2009
I don't know of any Sylvester Stallone movies that I don't like and this one is certainly no exception. I remember the critics were all over this movie because it wasn't as good as everybody was expecting it to be and then they gave it bad or mediocre reviews.
When I finally saw it, I realized that it's not action packed like most of Stallone's previous movies, but it's still not a bad movie. The special effects are good and the movie will keep you interested throughout because you wonder how Stallone is going to rescue everybody from the tunnel when it seems impossible to get out.

If you want an action packed movie don't get this one, but if you like entertaining action movies that have some mystery to them, then this would be a great movie to buy. NOTE: This was my Amazon review from the year 2000. Stallone movies indeed rock, always.
May 2, 2009
I dug it. It's a good action flick in the same vein of Towering Inferno and Earthquake. Not that it's as good as those movies but it's a fun watch.
FiLmCrAzY
½ September 29, 2007
excellent i love this movie i think its briliant with an action packed storyline and heartwrenching storie and generally a really good film
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ September 13, 2008
Kit Latura: [hearing the tunnel collapsing on itself] "Keep trying you piece of shit. Keep trying. You've killed everybody else. You know what, you haven't killed me."

[readies an explosive]

Kit Latura: "I have found your heart, and I'm gonna blow it right out of you."

[thrusts the explosive right into the wall of mud]

A runaway car hits a truck full of toxic waste causing an explosion that seals both exit of an underground tunnel between Manhattan and New Jersey. It's up to Kit Latura, disgraced ex-chief of the city's Emergency Medical Services, to find a way in and bring out the survivors before air runs out or the Hudson river runs in.

Finally, a Rob Cohen film that didn't make me yawn or fall asleep to. What makes this film the more watchable is Sylvester Stallone's intensity as the lead role. I can watch this flick over and over again and not get tired of it. The film may be sugarcoated with a lot typical Hollywood cliches but it is enjoyable nonetheless.

3.5/5
½ February 7, 2008
I've got a soft spot for Stallone because, an actor/writer/director of reasonable artistic ambition at one time, he seems, like so many of us, to have got stuck doing a job he despises: the reluctant action hero, doomed never to be taken seriously by critics or audiences alike. And he's not quite the appalling actor he's forever maligned as being, either; he may not have won that Oscar he was nominated for with "Rocky" in 1976, but then neither did De Niro, as Travis Bickle in "Taxi Driver", and how good was he?

"Daylight" is a reasonably entertaining disaster movie, spoiled by rotten dialogue, predictability and the cheesily developed team-building of its conveniently disparate group of unfortunates. Stallone plays his usual washed-up hero with a guilty conscience, looking for the road to redemption. Viggo Mortensen is fun as a narcissistic action-man, but he isn't around for very long. At times, it feels less like watching a movie and more like watching someone else play a computer game, in which successive perilous challenges must be overcome, against the clock, to progress to the next level. So-so.
thmtsang
August 18, 2007
Sly rescues a group of people in a tunnel that becomes flooded.
June 3, 2007
Slated by critics this is a half decent disaster/ action film as a bunch of drivers get stuck in a tunnel towards Manhatten.
kpn666
½ April 22, 2007
Another predictable action disaster movie with Sly leading..... it does try to make up the movie with a storyline about Sly's past. TRY is the key word. I didnt say it did a great job.

Anywayz, sets are interesting and so is thebackground... but at this time these sort of movis were becoming a tired format and Daylight probably killed of any others in the near future. It was not until TWISTER did disaster movies gain some credibility due to the advancment of special effects.

Stallone is predictable as the gentle strong man doing his best to save a group of survivors trapped in an underground tunnel due to a very non-believable accident - while facing his own fears, the fears of the survivors and putting up with all kinds of shit, as the story usually goes.

Umm... unless you like Sly and disaster movies.... you wont be missing much.
deano
February 8, 2007
Cool disaster movie of tunnel and underground to hold your breath.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 24, 2007
not terrible or great, ots really just sly being sly
Beefy
September 24, 2006
Silly fun disaster movie.
½ June 13, 2006
Stallone takes the movie to too much of a serious level to like enough.
½ January 23, 2009
From the opening ten minutes we know just where we are. The brief pictures of characters does enough to set up their roles within the disaster genre and it is not long before one massive explosion and we are back in the disaster movies that were so popular in the 1970's. The plot is the basic stuff, focusing on one small group and throwing up one obstacle after another for them to get over. At each stage we'll have losses, tragic deaths, heroic sacrifice, emotional panic, headstrong jerks, etc. This also brings with it the problems of being rushed, the characters being cardboard cut outs, the drama being staged and never being able to stop without making things look bad and the fact that the film is a bit too close to being a cloying weepy for comfort. None of this stops it being exciting enough to be worth seeing though. The modern effects are impressive and the sets etc are convincingly real. The actors hardly have a lot to work with but they do well enough to make it work well. Sylvester Stallone holds back from being an invincible action man and he is better for it, producing a good lead. The support all fill their genre roles but most of them do it well enough so that they are actually emotionally engaging rather than just being fodder. Dan Hedaya, Jay O. Sanders, Amy Brenneman, Viggo Mortensen and others are all solid enough to make it work, sure they are a bit corny at times but this is more to do with the genre writing than the acting. Overall this is a disaster movie very much in the genre mould set in the 1970's and it has all the weaknesses you would expect from the genre. The writing is where the clichés come in but these are almost carried by the solid acting and enjoyable special effects.
½ August 10, 2011
Full Review Coming!
½ January 23, 2010
An suspenseful, meticulously crafted disaster film that features a commanding star performance by Sylvester Stallone who plays Kit Latura, the disgraced former head of New York City's Emergency Medical Services, who springs back into action when massive accidental explosion rips through and cripples a jammed commuter tunnel beneath the Hudson River between Manhattan and New jersey, sealing off both ends and trapping a handful of survivors inside the collapsing tunnel. Outstanding performances from a terrific supporting cast that includes Amy Brenneman, Viggo Mortsensen, Dan Hedaya and Claire Bloom. Great stunts and amazing visual effects by Industrial Light & Magic, all the tunnel scenes were filmed in studios in Rome; on massive realistic sets by production designer Benjamin Fernandez. A solid thriller was fine direction by Rob Cohen. Highly Recommended.