100% John Wick Oct 24

100% Jane the Virgin: Season 1
88% The Knick: Season 1
98% Transparent: Season One
97% The Walking Dead: Season 5

De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone) (2012)

TOMATOMETER

Average Rating: 7.6/10
Reviews Counted: 155
Fresh: 127
Rotten: 28

Critics Consensus: No consensus yet.

Average Rating: 7.4/10
Reviews Counted: 49
Fresh: 38
Rotten: 11

Critics Consensus: No consensus yet.

AUDIENCE SCORE

Average Rating: 3.8/5
User Ratings: 20,372

Movie Info

A struggling single father helps a beautiful whale trainer recover her will to live following a terrible accident that leaves her confined to a wheelchair. Lonely and destitute, Ali (Matthias Schoenaerts) leaves the north of France for his sister's house in Antibes after becoming the sole guardian of his estranged five-year-old son Sam. When Ali lands a job as a bouncer in a nearby nightclub, things quickly start to look up for the itinerant father and son. Then one night, after breaking up a … More

Rating:
R (for strong sexual content, brief graphic nudity, some violence and language)
Genre:
$2.1M
Runtime:
Sony Pictures Classics - Official Site

Friend Ratings

No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.

Critic Reviews for De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone)

All Critics (155) | Top Critics (49) | Fresh (127) | Rotten (28)

An emotionally gripping if slightly meandering drama marked by two powerful lead performances.

Full Review… | July 27, 2013
Film.com
Top Critic

The movie wanders off course in the final act, as if none of its three screenwriters could quite figure out how to end it.

Miami Herald
Top Critic

"Rust" has some lovely scenes - Alain carrying Stephanie out to the sea - but it seems to wander off in search of something it already has, and in wandering, it loses its way.

Detroit News
Top Critic

"Rust and Bone" has heart and soul.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Top Critic

"Rust and Bone" seems to wander unexpectedly into its heart; it feels organic in its casual unfolding, like life itself.

Full Review… | January 10, 2013
Seattle Times
Top Critic

You couldn't ask for a more random relationship, but "Rust and Bone" slowly, almost magically, gives it meaning, symbolism, even a kind of symmetry.

Full Review… | January 10, 2013
Newsday
Top Critic

Audiard visits a physicality that isn't necessarily female or male, but of the body, and toward the body, as in Cotillard's wide, lidded eyes when she watches him punching, thumping and bleeding in illegal bare-fisted takedown fights.

Full Review… | April 10, 2014
Newcity

It's a film for people who believe that fallen souls aren't inevitably destined to become lost ones.

Full Review… | June 20, 2013
Film Comment Magazine

...while all the admittedly well-wrought details engage us on an intellectual level and keep us watching, the film doesn't linger in the imagination the way truly great cinema does

Full Review… | April 27, 2013
Arkansas Democrat-Gazette

there is no denying the cinematic power of Audiard's fearless storytelling

Full Review… | April 23, 2013
Screenwize

Rust and Bone is a tough, emotionally raw movie, but its not a difficult watch, and its a very skillfully rendered piece of neo-realism.

Full Review… | April 15, 2013
Scene-Stealers.com

The notion of strings-free sex gets a good working over from director Jacques Audiard (A Prophet), who takes as much pride in exploring the workings of Stephanie's troubled mind as he does in digitally removing her legs.

Full Review… | April 12, 2013

The film achieves what all dramatic films should strive for: complete audience empathy for the main characters. I cared for these two so deeply, and the many, many moments of quiet triumph gave me rushes of joy. A beautiful triumph of precision.

Full Review… | April 2, 2013
ABC Radio (Australia)

Rust and Bone is an unsentimentally lyrical triumph, unexpected in every way.

Full Review… | March 31, 2013
Concrete Playground

For a film that deals in different forms of agony it's rather pleasant. A portrait of family that's refreshing with the right emotional punch.

Full Review… | March 28, 2013
The Popcorn Junkie

Pulsates with life, romance, and bare-knuckle boxing

Full Review… | March 28, 2013
Movie Habit

This multi-layered film with its characters tossed like flotsam on fate's giant, unpredictable waves drenches us in the intimate details of characters

Full Review… | March 22, 2013
Urban Cinefile

Two damaged souls find solace together in this gritty drama in which physical pain and disfigurement play a key role ... a stunningly delivered exposition

Full Review… | March 22, 2013
Urban Cinefile

Audiard crafts a film with logical scenic construction yet surprising turns of events, with the drama never devolving into melodrama.

Full Review… | March 15, 2013
Movie Metropolis

Rather like a persuasive pick-up artist, I'm not sure Rust & Bone is a film I'd want to spend a second night with, for fear of shattering the emotional illusion.

Full Review… | March 4, 2013

A 'Salt of the Earth' saga plumbing the depths of the human soul.

Full Review… | March 3, 2013
AALBC.com

Through restraint, French director Jacques Audiard does a better job of tugging on viewers' hearts than most filmmakers can achieve with excess.

Full Review… | February 1, 2013
KC Active

Filmmaking this self-indulgent screams "refund" in any language.

Full Review… | January 23, 2013
Film Threat

In 'Rust and Bone,' Marion Cotillard loses both legs but retains her hotness. This might seem like an inappropriate observation, but it's very much to the point of this very physical French romance of redemptive suffering from director Jacques Audiard.

Full Review… | January 22, 2013
Commercial Appeal (Memphis, TN)

This is a very different film to Audiard's most recent release - the impressive A Prophet - but it has a similar sense of maturity about it, and could well have acting awards aplenty heading its way in the coming months.

Full Review… | January 20, 2013
Fan The Fire

Audience Reviews for De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone)

½

Healing in the midst of the brokenness of it all.

Great Film!!! For quite some time into the film it seems both the film and its main characters aimlessly sit in their cocoon without breaking out. One feels some very vague potential in people but somehow their very lives seem the greatest impediments to its blossoming. One wonders what the film is about and where it is going. Like its characters, it feels like a bunch of loose ends aimlessly hanging about. But I must say that at the end of the movie it has grown on you: suddenly, as the story progresses, the film hatches, the characters break out of their cocoon and in retrospect one feels one has been witness to the improbable -and yet realistic- birth of an unusual but deep love story between two common people. The story has a hidden intensity of screenplay which is intensely performed by Schoenaerts and Cotillard. It creeps beneath your skin. If you like Audiard's way of developing gradual character drama with an intensity that seems to be implicit, buried beneath trailer-trash but still strongly present, you'll like this film. It's a story of how one can find anew a purpose in life when one feels like wasted trash. The cinematography and soundtrack are pretty beautiful too, completing a fantastic triumph of an understated film.

Put in charge of his young son, Alain leaves Belgium for Antibes to live with his sister and her husband as a family. Alain's bond with Stephanie, a killer whale trainer, grows deeper after Stephanie suffers a horrible accident.

MANUGINO
Manu Gino

½

I am not a fan of French films, usually. As a matter of fact, I didn't even know that it WAS a French film until I was an hour into it. The movie was supposed to be about the relationship between the two main characters, but even at the end of the movie, I was still left scratching my head wondering what the basis was of their attraction. The ending was frustrating, too. BUT, I still found myself watching it, and for the most part enjoying it....mostly due to Marion Cotillard. She is wonderful to watch...

itsjustme2004
Cynthia S.

½

A women whose legs are chewed off by a killer whale starts a relationship with a street fighter who treats her relatively badly but is occasionally helpful. It doesn't sound like the premise of a classy romantic film does it but surprisingly it is a beautiful love story. It is beautifully films, the two lead roles are brilliantly played by Marion Cotillard and Matthias Schoenaerts and the story is original and compelling. It's the simplest of components that make films like this great, other young directors should take note! That poor little boy though, I'm not sure I would have signed him up if I was his parent after reading the script! Jacques Audiard is fast becoming a director to take notice of.

SirPant
Anthony Lawrie

½

'Rust and Bone'. Marion Cotillard stole my heart. The most emotionally affecting performance of the year in this love story that ain't sunshine and rainbows in the least. Nearly every touching scene is confronting and/or brutal.

I appreciated the screenplay skipping those "in-between" scenes that normally play out, left to our imagination. Bookending the film with two Bon Iver songs didn't hurt!

c0up
c0up

De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone) Quotes

Ali:
In a human hand there are 27 bones. Some apes have more. A gorilla has 32, five in each thumb. A human has 27. If you break an arm or a leg, the bone grows back together by calcification. It will be stronger than before. If you break a bone in your hand, it will never recover completely. Before every fight, you'll think. In each slap, you'll think. You'll be careful. But at some point the pain will come back. Like needles. Like glass splinters.
– Submitted by Ahmad M (14 months ago)
Stephanie:
Can't a whore train whales?
– Submitted by Fernán O (21 months ago)
Stephanie:
Can't a whore train whales?
– Submitted by Fernán O (21 months ago)
Stephanie:
If we continue we have to do it right.
– Submitted by Chris P (23 months ago)
What am I for you?
A friend?
A pal?
– Submitted by Chris P (23 months ago)

Discussion Forum

Discuss De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone) on our Movie forum!