—— The Identical Sep 05

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Dead Before Dawn 3D Reviews

March 13, 2014
A stupid but entertaining horror comedy, Dead Before Dawn follows the adventures of a group of young people who mess with an ancient artifact and unleash a bizarre curse that turns their town into zemons (zombie demons). Nothing to write home about, Dead Before dawn does feature enough gore and laughs to keep B-horror fans engaged throughout its run-time.
September 27, 2013
Nice to see more movies like Shaun of the Dead coming along, however relies too much on stupidity with a real balance of horror and comedy.
November 3, 2012
Kids unleash a curse when they look into someone's eyes they will kill themselves and turn into a zombie. If you kiss them they will be a slave... yea... It's really bad. Way too goofy and not a serious movie. I like a good comedy, but this was just silly. Not funny.
July 8, 2013
There is plenty of cheesy horror fun to be had with Dead Before Dawn, that is, if you can overlook its low budget restraints and occasional poor acting.
Fabio P.
July 3, 2014
Nice idea, but terrible production. The only fun scenes are those you see in the trailer, most of the acting is mediocre and the plot is ridiculously poor. Nice make-up though.
July 3, 2014
April 26, 2014
It was cute! Better than all the scary movies except scary movie 3 that ones the best of course.
April 17, 2014
One line summary: A film about rapid zombies without much humor or plot.

-----------------------------

Casper has a traumatic experience as a child at his grandfather's curio shop. He still has nightmares during college. A particular vessel drops, his father catches it, and his father is transformed for the worse by it.

Casper is more than a bit on the wimpish side. He agrees to mind the curio shop "Occult Barn" for his grandfather while the grandfather receives a lifetime award. His friends drop by, and he lets them handle the vessel; this is something his grandfather explicitly forbid. One of his friends drops the vessel and it breaks.

The lights go out. The group makes up a curse, in great detail, then say they are done with the curse's rules. The lights come back on. The group agree to meet later to test it out.

So, if someone in the group looks directly into someone else's eyes after 10 pm, the targets kills themselves, then return as a mixture of demon and zombie, or zemon. Unless they reverse the curse before dawn, the group itself will be cursed.

That evening, the number of mysterious deaths mount, but many of the 'dead' do not stay dead. The group re-assembles, realises that they are in deep trouble, then arm themselves. They go back to the Occult Barn, and tell Horus about the incident and the curse. Unfortunately, they look Horus in the eyes, and he kills himself.

Will the group be able to use Horus' book to reverse the curse? Will anybody in town be left as a normal human?

------Scores------

Cinematography: 5/10 Better than VHS quality, but not by much. The SFX vary from mediocre to poor.

Sound: 6/10 I could hear the actors' voices and the incidental music, some of which was appropriate for a zombie comedy.

Acting: 3/10 Weak. The three is mostly for Christopher Lloyd's short performance.

Screenplay: 2/10 Boring, not funny, not engaging. The central idea of the curse was beyond stupid.
November 1, 2013
dumest movie I've ever seen
SecretAsianMann
September 12, 2013
Zombie Type: "Zemons" (demon zombies); basically fast-walking (they don't really sprint) undead
Outbreak/Apocalypse Phase: Initial outbreak (characters experience the outbreak as it happens)
Sub-genre: Goofy Horror, Dark Comedy

Dead Before Dawn had an awesomely cheesy late 80's/early 90's vibe right from the start that carried the fun all the way to the very end. I'm a sucker for 80's cheese (hell yeah gimme some cheddar), so throw in some zombies and it's like crack for me. I had a good time watching this movie.

The first 20 or so minutes were a bit slow, but it's all fun once the stuff hits the fan. The basic premise involves a group of college kids fighting off the zemon menace. Main character Casper Galloway (played by "Diary of a Wimpy Kid's" Devon Bostick) is the grandson of Horus Galloway (great Scott, he's played by Christopher Lloyd!), the owner of a store called "Occult Barn." When Casper agrees to watch the store while the elder Galloway steps out to grab something, his friends accidentally unleash a curse that turns its victims into "zemons" and spreads itself from person-to-person either via eye-contact with Casper and his friends after 10pm or hickeys from the already infected. But wait! The zemons can be turned into your personal slaves if you seduce them with a French kiss! Needless to say, this movie's charm comes from the fact that it doesn't take itself the least bit seriously.

That's all you need to know. Dead Before Dawn is a bit over-the-top (not insanely crazy, more slapstick and funny than anything), surprisingly funny, cheesy, and fun to watch. I'm lucky to have found so many enjoyable zombie movies over the past month after years of sifting through random crap on Netflix.

Final Verdict: Recommended. Goofy, cheesy, funny, great to watch with a group of friends. If what I just typed doesn't immediately turn you off, go watch Dead Before Dawn!
August 3, 2013
The film ventures so far into slap-stick comedy it often feels more like a youtube parody of itself rather than a movie.
king l.
May 9, 2013
This movie is a lower budget 3D film and I found it randomly. It's very entertaining considering it's not a big budget studio thing. The script was strong, funny and I really liked Devon's character, in my opinion it's his best performance yet, he carries the whole film. Also, really liked the other actors too. The funniest things are how random it all is - creating their own curse, a hot dog mug, ZEMONS, and a bloody Winnebago. Loved the Nicholas Cage "Wicker Man" throw back to the BEES, amazing!
mary j.
May 9, 2013
Fast and Fun, Dead Before Dawn made me laugh a lot. It's not too scary. If you're looking for funny horror comedy you'll like this. Dead Before Dawn 3D is cool 'cause they made zombies and demon into one new creature - a ZEMON. Refreshing spin on the genre. LOVED the music!!!
May 9, 2013
This film is full of surprises. The 3D is really different and brings you into the screen. Things are not always popping out which I thought was a strong and classy choice. I love the Christopher Lloyd 3D bubbles on the phone, so cool, have never seen anything like that in 3D before. The super adventures are also super cool in 3D. The script is really funny and concept reminded me of an 80's throw back. The performances are tight and the group worked well together and bounced off each other, which makes the film move quickly. The look of the film is rich in colors and every location is dynamic and the 3D really allows you to explore the background. I love the Occult barn and Seth's apartment. I think this film just felt real, not studio polished just like old films used to feel, no tricks, it reminded me of the Goonies and the original Evil Dead in that sense. More of an adventure comedy then a horror film ,but very entertaining.
October 7, 2012
a very stupid, nonsense, and funny film! very enjoyable if you like the brainless comedy style movie with 'zemons' [B+]
October 4, 2012
Dear April, please get some normal job!