Predictions?

neo-noire Crime-Drama's are usually a genre that I have a soft spot for; this one definitely caught my eye with the trailer. They've got a good director attached and a mostly good cast with Noomi Rapace and Colin Farrell; the films visual style for the most part also looks pretty impressive. However, even though I am excited for the movie there are a few things that left me feeling a little concerned. Firs of all casting Terrence Howard as the villain is something that I'm not really all that happy with, I've never been that impressed with his acting overall and I believe their are plenty of other actors in Hollywood that could play a mob boss better than him. My second concern is that the screenplay is written by someone who hasn't written any other movies that I'm aware of so I have no idea how good/bad his writing will be until the movie is actually released. Anyway what does everybody else feel about Dead Man Down?
Alex Aston
03-2-2013 03:07 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

I'm a bit disappointed with the reviews, I'll probably wait till a blu ray release in that case.

Mar 7 - 08:37 PM

Austin Coppernoll

Austin Coppernoll

Well in the end the "writer will get us" theory was correct, and despite Oplev's notoriously brilliant direction carrying here as well, nothing can be done as far as the amateur writing is concerned. Typical new-year dud unfortunately here :(

Mar 7 - 07:37 PM

Dillon Thompson

Dillon Thompson

35% what do you, I was right... Where's my gift??

Mar 7 - 03:44 PM

Antoine Smith

Antoine Smith

Your gift is one free ticket to Dead Man Down.

Mar 7 - 04:30 PM

Mike Kowzun

Mike Kowzun

Not really sure what to think. Lack of reviews isn't a good sign, but two German publications gave it a 7/10 and 9/10 and one English publication gave it a B+

Mar 7 - 08:18 AM

Antoine Smith

Antoine Smith

Oh yeah and to top it all off one of the production studios is WWE Studios. Yikes.

Mar 7 - 07:15 AM

Rot Hero

Rot Hero

They were brought on for financing after filming began, so it's not "their" film. Slow your roll

Mar 7 - 09:58 AM

Antoine Smith

Antoine Smith

I never said it was their film, so you shouldn't have it in quotation marks as if I did.

Mar 7 - 10:54 AM

Rot Hero

Rot Hero

you insinuated it mattered
slow your roll

Mar 7 - 11:05 AM

Antoine Smith

Antoine Smith

It does. Or are you going to ignorantly argue that it's a coincidence that WWE wrestler Wade Barrett being an actor in this film is mere coincidence and not a show of influence in the creation of this film.

Mar 7 - 11:14 AM

Tony Dela Cruz

Tony Dela Cruz

Rapace is doing a favor to her Dragon Tattoo director, but everyone else involved looks like they're doing it for the paycheck, especially Colin Farrell, 10 years after he missed with Miami Vice. This is going to have an awful direct-to-video feel to it.

Mar 7 - 04:24 AM

Rot Hero

Rot Hero

No, Terrance really seemed like he loved the role if you watched the interviews. Noomi and Oplev said they wanted to work together again for a long time, but waited until finding the perfect script, which was this. By the 20th page Noomi said she was blown away and fell in love with the character. If you think this isn't cinematic you are crazy. It's an original story, not a remake/sequel/adaptation by a brilliant writer that all of test screenings say is unpredictable. It's a noir characterpiece too, just being billed as an action film.

Mar 7 - 06:43 AM

Stephan Krause

Stephan Krause

Can anyone think of an instance where a film wasn't open to early reviews but ultimately does well? Tells me that even the distributor has no faith in the film.

Mar 7 - 12:31 AM

Antoine Smith

Antoine Smith

A major release with no reviews the day before release, released in the first quarter and advertised an action blockbuster? Gonna be a dud.

Mar 6 - 10:11 PM

R.C.

R.C. Smith

Antoine, I agree with you 100% -- which is way, way more than this film is going to rank on RT.

Mar 7 - 07:11 AM

deltonp

Delton Perrodin

71-72%

Mar 6 - 09:20 PM

Chris Bode

Chris Bode

I'm hoping it's fresh and I'll go see it if it is. The thing that gives me doubts however, is that there have been hardly any fresh wide releases in 2013 so far. I don't know, we'll see.

Mar 6 - 06:04 AM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

Big studio's usually release the films they think will be flops during the early year, but since this film is done by a smaller independent studio I'm not completely sure that's the case; although like you I am worried that their hasn't been any reviews on RT yet for the film.

Mar 6 - 09:53 AM

Rot Hero

Rot Hero

Also this was originally an April film. It got pushed up a month to March.

Mar 6 - 03:18 PM

Chris Bode

Chris Bode

I like the cast and the director for the most part. The combination of Niels Arden Oplev and Noomi Rapace gives me hope.

Mar 6 - 07:24 PM

Virus

Anthony Stevenson

Lack of reviews scare me. I was really looking forward to this film, but as of now it's not looking great.

Mar 6 - 02:02 AM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

Apparently 2 German websites released reviews for the movie, both were positive. One gave it 7/10 the other 9/10

Mar 5 - 09:11 PM

Dillon Thompson

Dillon Thompson

I hope it will get in the high 80's. But knowing how garbage movies have been, maybe a low 30

Mar 5 - 09:01 PM

The Fox

What Does Da Foe Say?

Just by the fact that it STILL has no reviews posted, I'll say 40%.

Mar 5 - 07:28 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

this looks like an amazing crime movie, i fuckin love collin ferral. this is being made by the director of the original dragon tattoo movies. this will be siiiickk !!

Mar 5 - 03:18 PM

Rot Hero

Rot Hero

it will get somewhere in the 90's
from what I've seen this is going to be an incredible character based noir up there with the classics.

Mar 5 - 03:10 PM

Mike Kowzun

Mike Kowzun

I want this to be good SO badly. I'm a HUGE fan of the kind of European neo-noir this is emulating, the cast is pretty good, and so is the director. The fact that there are no reviews yet gives me a bad feeling in my gut, though.

Mar 5 - 01:54 PM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

82% or 75%

Mar 5 - 01:18 PM

Vedant Naik

Vedant Naik

I am going to stick my neck on a limb here and make the assumption that it will be above 80%. I remember thinking that Drive would get crapped on by critics but ended up at a solid 93%.

Mar 5 - 11:04 AM

Edgy Nyland

Edgy Nyland

I'm expecting 45-50%

Mar 5 - 07:14 AM

David Tanny

Big Fat Jewish Guy

I have high hopes for Dead Man Down. I think it'll be a solid film. Nothing amazing, but a well made and well acted thriller. I'm hoping for a "certified fresh" rating.

Mar 4 - 09:27 PM

Jacob Miller

Jacob Miller

I'm thinking this will be fresh at around a 70% to an 80%. I think it will be certified fresh at least and I am looking forward to it. Will be good, but not amazing.

Mar 4 - 04:27 PM

Dan Everett

Dan Everett

I honestly except this movie somewhere along the lines of 30% to 39% sadly. It looks promising enough but critics might fine holes in this thing and make it sink

Mar 4 - 12:45 PM

Alex V.

Alex Vincent

I'm expecting something good; but usually that doesn't happen. Don't say its an action movie (like 'The Dark Knight') because is is mystery & suspense.

Mar 4 - 07:06 AM

Ryan DeSanctis

Ryan DeSanctis

I heard a few things about this movie that got me disappointed. First the trailer made the movie look like an action packed fest and it really isn't second I heard that the characters are either not well developed or are put into situations that are very far fetched. I am hoping that this isn't true but based off the fact that there aren't any reviews out for it yet I'm betting on dead man down being a well advertised pile of crap.

Mar 3 - 10:27 PM

Rot Hero

Rot Hero

Uhh your comments contradict.
The reviews state it IS a character piece, and not just an action fest. Which is a good thing.

Mar 6 - 10:09 PM

Chris Bode

Chris Bode

I share your concerns about the screenwriter and about the casting of Terrence Howard. However, I am a big fan of Noomi Rapace and of the director, Niels Arden Oplev. I am expecting a decent and enjoyable, if a little bit flawed, 70%.

Mar 3 - 08:46 AM

JD Shippel

JD Shippel

The screenwriter is JH Wyman, who executive produced Fringe and wrote/co-wrote some of its best episodes, so he's a good sign. There's talent in all the right places, but that doesn't always turn out either.

Mar 5 - 07:44 AM

Find us on:                 
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile