Five Favorite Films with Noomi Rapace

Summary

Noomi Rapace rose to international stardom as Lisbeth Salander in the original adaptation of Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and its sequels, success she parlayed into roles in Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows and Ridley Scott's hit Alien prequel, Prometheus. With a sequel to the latter in the works and two movies opposite Tom Hardy on the horizon, Rapace is balancing a burgeoning Hollywood career with acclaimed roles in her native Sweden.

This week, she stars opposite Colin Farrell, Terrence Howard and Isabelle Huppert in the action thriller Dead Man Down, which reunites her with Dragon Tattoo director Niels Arden Oplev for his English-language debut. We spoke with the actress recently and got the scoop on her all-time favorite films. Back to Article

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Interesting list. I still haven't seen "Bullhead. I wonder if the upcoming project she mentions is the Brad Pitt film about a Siberian tiger.

Mar 5 - 05:19 PM

AmericanPsycho24

American Psycho

Great List Noomi! I totally agree with Raging Bull.

Mar 5 - 05:20 PM

Steven S.

Steven Scott

I'm down with that!

Mar 5 - 07:32 PM

Emile van Niekerk

Emile van Niekerk

Nice list. Should really get to see Oldman's Nil by Mouth. Been meaning to for 15 years, ha ha. His best role, for me, was the cameo in True Romance. Drexl the devious dreadlocked pimp. What a class act he is.
Want to see Frances now. Love Jessica Lange. She was great in the American Horror Story series.

Mar 5 - 11:21 PM

Matt McGrath

Matt McGrath

Oldman killed it in that movie. Is there any role he can't play?

Mar 9 - 03:55 PM

Matt McGrath

Matt McGrath

(In "True Romance," I mean. I'll have to check out "Nil by Mouth" sometime soon.)

Mar 9 - 04:00 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Nil by Mouth is a great movie. Noomi. Oh Noomi. You are what Hollywood needs. An exception to the rule. I think she is quite sexy. You could bounce a quarter off her, well, wherever but most importantly, she can ACT. I'm so happy to see her success transfer to the U.S. and am looking forward to her films.

Mar 5 - 11:43 PM

John Serrano

John Serrano

Best.album.ever.

Mar 6 - 03:27 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Yes, sir. Still waiting for the new one....

Mar 6 - 10:11 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Best. Band. Ever.

Mar 7 - 01:45 AM

Troy Kleasner

Troy Kleasner

There is a couple on here that I had not heard of. Thanks. You will always be Lisbeth for me. :)

Mar 5 - 11:43 PM

Andrew StClair

That's the unfortunate thing about Noomi Rapace. She ruined everyone's perception of Lisbeth Salander. Then, all the movies she's done since her crappy Dragon Tattoo films, she has been terrible in....

Mar 6 - 10:08 AM

Rot Hero

Noomi has been incredible in every role and always chooses different complicated fascinating characters. Saying you don't like the Dragon Tattoo films destroys your credibility.

Mar 6 - 11:42 AM

Andrew StClair

I do like the only one that mattered. You know? That one that did justice to the book and actually had a Lisbeth Salander that was like how Lisbeth Salander was supposed to be like... Not the ones with Noomi Rapace who butchered what the character of Lisbeth Salander was supposed to be about.

Mar 6 - 01:54 PM

Andrew StClair

And seeing as you're too scared to say more than "you're credibility is gone because I said so," I can now confirm that you're credibility is gone in absolutely every area of life.

Mar 6 - 01:55 PM

@Andrew StClair
Umm Noomi's was FAR more accurate. You obviously have never watched the extended versions. The other version was a Hollywood ripoff stealing shot by shot, and the other Lisbeth doesn't even speak Swedish, so it can never be more accurate.
The only thing "butchered" is your brain

Mar 6 - 02:57 PM

John Serrano

John Serrano

"the other Lisbeth doesn't even speak Swedish..."

"stealing shot by shot"

Man, you're messing with David Fincher. David Motherfucking Fincher. I don't know about credibility or shit, I haven't seen the original trilogy yet, but the Fincher take is simply amazing. The rape scenes, the tension, the locations, the soundtrack by Trent himself, everything was just perfect, pure Fincher. Go watch Se7en and Fight Club, mate.

Mar 6 - 03:30 PM

Rot Hero

Please. David Fincher did a Remake.
If you haven't seen the original why comment? Everything I'm saying is true...see the extended editions and you'll know he just did it shot by shot. For a paycheck. All of that you mention was in the original.
also Neils Arden Oplev + David Groth >>>>>> David Fincher + Trent
not pure fincher. pure copy
go watch the originals, mate. :)

Mar 6 - 05:15 PM

bassbait t.

bassbait the monkey

Bram - David Fincher did a remake... of an adaptation...

Ball's in your court now... how is the original "original" and the remake a rip-off, if they're both just adaptations of a book?

Keep in mind I haven't seen either. I don't like David Fincher and I HATE Trent Reznor. Unless you're going to change the book as much as Kubrick did to something like The Shining or A Clockwork Orange, you might as well just get over the argument of which "Dragon Tattoo" movie is better. Or better yet? ORIGINAL SCREENPLAYS.

On an unrelated note, really looking forward to Shane Carruth's new movie Upstream Color.

Mar 6 - 11:32 PM

Rot Hero

I'm saying that he copied the original shot by shot. ;)
You need to watch the original trilogy man. Make sure it's the extended versions. :)

Mar 6 - 11:46 PM

Andrew StClair

No. Rooney's was more accurate. Not just in the way that she played the character, but in her appearance as well. I don't know when Noomi red the part where it said Lisbeth was a big, muscular chick (I guess skinny and anorexic in Swedish translates to body builder). One of the crew of the Fincher filmed got it right when they mentioned how off Noomi's Lisbeth was. Saying that Noomi's Lisbeth was loud and explosive, almost trying to draw attention to herself, and stare people down. Quite the opposite of what Lisbeth is supposed to be. Rooney got it spot on, and all you have to say in Noomi's defense is, "Oh, well... she played it first, so therefore, she's more accurate." Rooney > Noomi. She not only played the character better, but the entire film was both better as a film, and better as an adaptation.

Mar 8 - 12:15 PM

Andrew StClair

And then you make the stupid comment about speaking Swedish. So, if all Noomi's Lisbeth ever said was, "I want to shit on Bram Lalmn's face," in Swedish for the entire movie, she would be more accurate to the novel character because she says it in Swedish?

Mar 8 - 12:18 PM

Rot Hero

No. Noomi's was more accurate. Rooney played an english speaking girl with a silly accent. Her scenes of tension were laughable complete with over edited Hollywood over sexualizing. Noomi is the true Lisbeth

Mar 9 - 12:06 PM

Rot Hero

But she didn't say that, did she, Andrew StClair.
We all know you don't like to read subs. Just admit it.

Mar 9 - 12:06 PM

Andrew StClair

Nope. Rooney's is more accurate, and I don't need to make a comment about an accent to say so. She not only looks more like the character from the novel (Noomi Rapace's image of Lisbeth directly contradicts the image of the character from the novel in an interview. To qoute Noomi, "I thought Lisbeth should be very muscular." I don't know where in the novel it stated that Noomi was a built up, muscular woman. I'm pretty sure she's oftened described as being small, and vulnerable), but she plays her more like the character from the novel. Noomi was a loud, explosive character who looked like she'd be quick to get into your face for absolutely no reason. Something Lisbeth is not about.

And now, the only argument you have presented for Noomi's Lisbeth is that she speaks Swedish. Well, once again. If all she was saying in Swedish was, "I want to shit on Bram Lalmn's face," by your logic, she's closer to the novel because she's saying it in Swedish.

And no, I don't mind subtitles. I actually saw the Swedish film first, before ever reading the book, or the seeing the American film. My initial image of Lisbeth was Noomi Rapace because that's my first encounter with the character. Unlike most people, I actually read the book, and discovered what the character was supposed to be about, and not what Noomi Rapace pretended she was about.

And besides, the only reason the Swedish film was ever made was because Swedish people don't want to read books. Good logic, right?

Mar 9 - 05:17 PM

Rot Hero

You're incorrect. If you read the book you would understand that Noomi acts like Lisbeth while the other does not. And language is a huge part, even more then physicality. Although Noomi looks more like you'd imagine the character in the book. You act as if she is some body builder... um no. She's just toned and actually able to do her own stunts while Rooney uses a double.

And the movie was popular because the book was popular in Sweden. Every comment you get dumber.

If we are ranking films the Swedish gets 10/10 and the American a 4/10. Not even an authentic portrayal of Sweden. You are blinded by the overdone bloaded Hollywood budget that focused its marketing on sexualizing Lisbeth to make her look like a hooker. Her "rape"scene was laughable btw, while the scene in the Swedish was scary and unsettling.
The elevator scene in the american is just laughable too with that wonky accent

Mar 9 - 06:41 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

Noomi's portrayal of Lisbeth deviates from the book, yes, but isn't that the point? A great adaptation doesn't copy its source material; it interprets and reinvents. Noomi used Larson's Lisbeth as a foundation and built from there. She brought her own insights and interpretation to the character, which is what a great actor does. I can understand where someone might disagree with her portrayal, but disregarding her performance simply because it doesn't fit your definition of "accurate" isn't really fair.

Mar 8 - 04:55 PM

Andrew StClair

Then disregarding a performance for simply not playing it the same way some stupid actress did it in a movie from before isn't really fair either.

Mar 9 - 06:22 PM

Rot Hero

Stupid actress? You mean one with actual class?
Typical American...you are nothing to see here

Mar 9 - 06:43 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

Read more carefully. I didn't even mention Mara, much less disregard her performance. I'm simply arguing the value of Noomi's perspective. Nothing more.

Mar 9 - 11:28 PM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

Great points, Linda. I'm very fond of both versions of ''The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo''. However, I must confess I related to Rooney Mara much more not because she was more like the character's description in the novels, but also because she evokes the feel with a more realistic strenght. Not that Rapace's performance is not good, I just felt Mara fit more into the noir atmosphere of the thriller. Rapace is quite older than the character as well, I'd say. Nonetheless, she has some strong acting moments in the films Mara has yet to give.

Mar 11 - 06:44 PM

Rot Hero

Noomi's portrayal is more accurate. Mara doesn't even speak Swedish.

Mar 16 - 06:02 PM

Balls McHammer

kolya Fist

For starters The Girl... was a light easy albeit fun, yet throw away read. It was entertaining, and very little of it translated well to the screen. Fincher is a Tier 2 director. He, like C. Nolan and Tim Burton, did some interesting stuff earlier on, but pales in comparison to tier 1 writer directors like PT Anderson, The Coens, Wes Anderson, and others of their ilk. I think it's because they write their own stuff.

Mar 7 - 12:36 PM

Nick Fury

Nick Fury

Nolan is an absolute genius. Tim Burton is often great. The Coens are awesome, and I love Fantastic Mr. Fox and Rushmore, but don't like Moonrise Kingdom. PT Anderson is a pretentious, snobby arthouse hack.

Mar 9 - 07:33 AM

Mar 6 - 10:08 AM

Mar 6 - 11:42 AM

Mar 6 - 01:54 PM

Mar 6 - 01:55 PM

@Andrew StClair
The only thing "butchered" is your brain

Mar 6 - 02:57 PM

John Serrano

John Serrano

"the other Lisbeth doesn't even speak Swedish..."

"stealing shot by shot"

Mar 6 - 03:30 PM

Rot Hero

Please. David Fincher did a Remake.
also Neils Arden Oplev + David Groth >>>>>> David Fincher + Trent
not pure fincher. pure copy
go watch the originals, mate. :)

Mar 6 - 05:15 PM

bassbait t.

bassbait the monkey

Bram - David Fincher did a remake... of an adaptation...

Mar 6 - 11:32 PM

Rot Hero

I'm saying that he copied the original shot by shot. ;)

Mar 6 - 11:46 PM

Mar 8 - 12:15 PM

Mar 8 - 12:18 PM

Mar 9 - 12:06 PM

Rot Hero

But she didn't say that, did she, Andrew StClair.
We all know you don't like to read subs. Just admit it.

Mar 9 - 12:06 PM

Mar 9 - 05:17 PM

The elevator scene in the american is just laughable too with that wonky accent

Mar 9 - 06:41 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

Mar 8 - 04:55 PM

Mar 9 - 06:22 PM

Rot Hero

Stupid actress? You mean one with actual class?
Typical American...you are nothing to see here

Mar 9 - 06:43 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

Mar 9 - 11:28 PM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

Mar 11 - 06:44 PM

Rot Hero

Noomi's portrayal is more accurate. Mara doesn't even speak Swedish.

Mar 16 - 06:02 PM

Jameson B.

Jameson Bradford

Noomilicious

Mar 6 - 10:57 AM

Mar 6 - 11:42 AM

Mar 6 - 01:54 PM

Mar 6 - 01:55 PM

@Andrew StClair
The only thing "butchered" is your brain

Mar 6 - 02:57 PM

John Serrano

John Serrano

"the other Lisbeth doesn't even speak Swedish..."

"stealing shot by shot"

Mar 6 - 03:30 PM

Rot Hero

Please. David Fincher did a Remake.
also Neils Arden Oplev + David Groth >>>>>> David Fincher + Trent
not pure fincher. pure copy
go watch the originals, mate. :)

Mar 6 - 05:15 PM

bassbait t.

bassbait the monkey

Bram - David Fincher did a remake... of an adaptation...

Mar 6 - 11:32 PM

Rot Hero

I'm saying that he copied the original shot by shot. ;)

Mar 6 - 11:46 PM

Mar 8 - 12:15 PM

Mar 8 - 12:18 PM

Mar 9 - 12:06 PM

Rot Hero

But she didn't say that, did she, Andrew StClair.
We all know you don't like to read subs. Just admit it.

Mar 9 - 12:06 PM

Mar 9 - 05:17 PM

The elevator scene in the american is just laughable too with that wonky accent

Mar 9 - 06:41 PM

Jack Hawkins

Jack Hawkins

She's got very good taste indeed, I was particularly impressed by the inclusion of Nil by Mouth. www.hawkensian.com

Mar 6 - 11:55 AM

JC Martel

JC Martel

I bought the Bullhead blu ray last night. I haven't seen it yet but I'm pumped to check it out.

Mar 6 - 12:50 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Planning to see "Bullhead" sometime this month!

Mar 6 - 12:54 PM

Mar 6 - 01:54 PM

Mar 6 - 01:55 PM

Ant-Man
Ant-Man

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank

Best Comedy Actress