67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

—— New Girl: Season 4
83% Sons of Anarchy: Season 7

Dead of Night Reviews

November 16, 2013
An enjoyable late-70s horror anthology, Dead of Night doesn't really hit its stride until the final tale, which is awesome. However, the whole film remains an enjoyable bit of 70s horror based on stories by horror legend Richard Matheson.
Whitsbrain
March 9, 2013
This is a three story Made-For-TV anthology written by Richard Matheson and directed by Dan Curtis of "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" fame. You'd think with those industry credentials at it's disposal, "Dead of Night" would be a sure fire winner. But you'd be wrong.

The three stories are pedestrian at best and more of the blame can be placed on Curtis than Matheson. It feels like the stories are good but the acting and direction are lacking. All of the stories are also cursed with that TV movie cheapness and have that late-70's softness to the camera work. It's a soft, filtered look. Kind of like what they use to try and make Barbara Walters not look as old as the hills when she's on camera these days.

Anyway, none of the stories are scary in the least. The first is a melancholy time travel story. The second leads us to believe there's a vampire on the loose and the finale is a tale of resurrection by satanic ritual. It's fair to say the final shot of the movie shocks you and is unexpected but it's not frightening. It's a jump scare more than anything.

Overall, this isn't worth watching unless you have a hankering for cheap 1970's Horror.
October 8, 2012
I didn't even get through the first story, before losing interest.
April 11, 2012
Despite Richard Matheson doing writing duties on all three stories, only the third is worthy of note.