Deadland Reviews

October 30, 2009
Deadland is proof that you don't need a big budget in order to tell a compelling post-apocalyptic tale. Sure, special effects may help depict the terror that will undo the world, but if it's a post-apocalyptic tale you're telling, the emphasis should be about what happens after the destruction. And this movie does so very well.

Don't be fooled by its shoe-string budget or cast of unknown actors. The movie is full to the brim with great action, suspense and drama. The story of a man in search for his long-lost wife after the seeming decimation of society is a classic tale of overcoming adversity.

This determined man must cross not only a desolate and unforgiving terrain; but also the encounter the vicious people that a shell-shocked world has produced. No zombies in this movie--although an allusion or two is made through the mysterious virus--the threat is more of, well, threat than it actually is a manifestation on film. The danger or humans becoming animals is always in the back of everyone's mind and a quest to find a cure must also be completed.

The lack of visual trickery makes this film all the more satisfying. It is a gritty, and thus more realistic portrayal of events. After all, when the world ends, there won't be high-tech bedazzlement and computer gadgetry to help us fend off the end times--there would just be people trying to survive and this is the very simple story of just that.

You'd be hard pressed to find this movie playing at any movie theater. It has been released only as far as the limited festival schedule it's on has permitted. But if you ever come across it in the video store or elsewhere, it's definitely worth giving it a try.

P.S. This movie is not, in any way, related to Zombieland. Just throught I'd clear that up.
½ May 4, 2009
I'll be honest, I only watched it because Brian Tee starred in and produced this. He was actually quite funny. I've seen him do juvenile comedy on Zoey 101, but I've never really seen him do adult comedy outside of a five-second cameo on Austin Powers. It seemed very natural for him and was kind of fun to watch. The film is predictable but I admire what Tee and Chad Matthews, who plays the film's main character, were able to accomplish and recommend every Brian Tee fan watch this film if for nothing else, then to prove you're a fan and just to say you've seen the film.
½ September 5, 2011
Wasn't too bad, hollow characters, thought the dialogue was weak, story is cool. Good time waster
½ March 8, 2011
Absolutely a bad flick. Post nuclear America with very little damage and acting that is on par for middle school talent.
February 28, 2011
This movie looked and sounded really cool, unfortunately such is the case with many movies it just lied to me. What ticks me off is that it is not too bad it just doesn't deliver at the end. The whole movie is building to this moment where the underground rises and fights the oppressors. Then all of a sudden the partner betrays the main character and I guess is killed and then some women are set free, and there is a mutiny which pretty much is bang... bang... end of movie. So no uprising, no badass killing machine, no cool fights. There is no climax to this movie. It builds and builds pretty effectively and then... nothing. It just ends. The cover of this movie shows a badass in a post apocalyptic setting with a double barrel shotty and some other dudes with guns in the background. The synopsis says that there will be lots of him killing slave traders and mercenaries. Yet all he does is get his ass kicked, run away, hide, get captured, and never even so much as hurt anyone other than throwing a dude to the ground. All this movie needed to do to please me is have a climax where there is actual tension, and actual conflict. Not just a bunch of nothing. This movie is crap don't watch it.
½ January 18, 2011
So, on the cover of this movie when I rented it was a picture of a man holding a gun wearing a black leather jacket. The movie blurbs on the back talk about a man who has to battle his way through a post apocalyptic world to save his wife. It sounded ok to me, but then it started.
First off throughout the entire movie he never once holds a gun or wears a leather jacket, I actually think he might have been wearing different boots too! He never fights, actually refuses to kill and does nothing but whine throughout the movie until someone else saves his wife for him!
Also, the movie is called Deadland, they mention the 'dead lands' at the beginning and tell us how dangerous it is in the dead land, but at no point in this movie do they EVER go to the dead land! I actually think I should sue the makers of this movie for false advertisement!
December 8, 2010
Heck ya I likie this movie!