91% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

41% Working the Engels: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Deadly Friend Reviews

June 28, 2014
Even though the acting is subpar, and the plot was laughable you have to realize that the Head of Warners at the time meddled with the production from the start after they realized who Wes Craven was. Initially he wanted to disown the film after Warners demanded reshoots, inserts of additional gore against his wishes and the ending wasn't even the screenwriters and director's idea in the first place, it was the head of Warner Brothers at the time. So give Wes some slack.
May 5, 2014
I LOVED IT JUST AS IT WAS , MY FAVORITE ACTOR MATHEW LABOTEAUX IS AS HANDSOME AND A GREAT ACTOR TO ME!
April 15, 2014
Decent soundtrack and gore looks like a kids film with horror added which is exactly what it is. Wes Craven was asked to re-edit the film and turned it into a horror movie.
December 30, 2013
Not great but if you want a solid 80's horror flick without a ton of nudity this is the movie for you.
August 24, 2013
Cheesy yet fun to watch I like it a lot I first saw this years ago as a kid, sometimes a movie can still be entertaining even if it's not a big box office hit. you simply don't take it too seriously & just enjoy the film for what it has to offer, that is nostalgic 80's fun with lots of camp & cheese inside I think there should be an award for movies like this the camp fun awards. now here's a Q I always had about this movie, why didn't Paul modify Bee bees chip & add some of Samantha's memory's also add some human behaviors to the chip so Sam would at least act more human, he was supposed to be a genus right? then he should have made modifications to the chip before implanting it in Sams brain. just saying but fun movie lol.
Michael Fucking Bay
November 4, 2013
10/10 the best movie ever made. Criminally underrated IMO.
Diego Tutweiller
September 8, 2013
It's hard to fully comprehend how someone could make a movie like Deadly Friend. This is the kind of film that makes you wonder just how the elevator pitch went: "I have a movie idea. It's about a girl who dies, gets a robot's CPU implanted in her brain, and goes on a killing spree with a basketball." "Fucking brilliant, Wes." This movie is, in a word, ridiculous. It's total garbage, even for a campy 80s horror flick, and features silly plot twists, pathetic acting, and a central concept that sounds more like an acid dream than a movie premise.

Deadly Friend is a movie that really has to be seen to be believed, but I will try to explain it to the best of my ability. A teenage genius who excels in brain stuff (be it robot or human) moves in to a new house along with his robot buddy, BB. BB is incredibly smart and strong, and communicates through yelling "BEEBEE!" at people. If you're not already saying "What the fuck" to that, don't worry-- it gets even more ridiculous. But what struck me as odd from the get-go was the fact that there is little to no explanation of how this kid is so smart. He's Doogie Howser on Limitless pills, but there's not a moment in the movie where this is taken to be out of the ordinary. He just walks around with his robot, and people laugh at him or just ignore it. Not like I expect a movie like this to be realistic, but... come on.

He meets an attractive neighbor, who has an abusive father. She comes over to his house a couple of times and they kind of hit it off. This leads to lines such as "You're the first girl I've ever had in my room." Fucking DUH, you just moved in. Then, one day, the two of them and one of their friends are playing basketball. BB throws the basketball into the neighborhood crazy lady's yard, and she keeps it. BIG MISTAAAAKE! But I'll get to that later. There is then a scene involving a run-in with the neighborhood hoodlums, to the beat of an incredibly campy 80s song. Really, if there was a box labeled "Cheesy 80s horror movie," Deadly Friend would be inside it.

Anyway, on Halloween, the kids stupidly trespass on the psychotic lady's property after breaking the lock's combo. Why do they do this? Because the Plotline demands it! They know the lady is both insane and has a shotgun, so what would be the point? To get killed? Anyway, she shoots the robot, the robot dies, and there's a brief mourning period that lasts about eight seconds. So was the robot not really that important? I know I shouldn't be looking for emotional depth and the like in a movie like this, but you'd think the kid would be a little more broke up about it. So after the robot is killed, the girl next door has a fight with her dad that sends her tumbling down the stairs. She bangs her head and goes unconscious. So now we have a robot with no functioning body and a brain and a girl with no functioning brain but a body. What to do, what to do...

I KNOW! Let's put the robot's brain in the girl's body! So, with movies like this, there's always a moment I can pinpoint where I stop actually caring about what's happening in them. This is the part where I gave up on Deadly Friend. He basically takes the robot chip, sticks it in her brain, and suddenly she has super strength, night vision, and all sorts of shit. Why? Because Plotline. I suppose he wants to bring her back, but shouldn't a kid who is a supposed expert on brains and how they function know that this might not be the best idea? So, he brings her back, but it's the robot that's controlling her. And it is the lamest shit of all time. She holds her hands like the robot's claws and walks around with her eyes wide open acting like an android. This actress must have resigned herself to the fate of never working again at that point.

So, the robot now must go on a rampage (apparently killing two people now qualifies as a rampage) to right the wrongs committed against it. Not only does she kill her dad, but the robot part of her finds the lady who shot the robot, corners her, and throws the basketball at her head. Amazingly, the basketball causes her head to explode on impact. Now, as cool as this abstract concept is, it's still fucking stupid. This is the only reason anyone likes this movie, and to be honest, I wasn't very impressed by it. The head explosion itself looks like a mix of strawberry jam and ketchup, and when the body stumbles around, it looks like a puppet. Also, a basketball couldn't POSSIBLY do that much damage, no matter if it was thrown by a person OR a person with an android brain. But there I go again, picking apart bad 80s horror movies... when really, at the end of the day, I should just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.

But I can't do that. I judge movies based on their entertainment value. And save for some incredibly campy moments that really achieve so-bad-it's-good status, Deadly Friend is an unpleasant experience. It features reprehensible acting, horrible dialogue, and a plot so ludicrous and scientifically inaccurate it hurts. Final Score for Deadly Friend: 1/10 stars. Even if it does feature a now-legendary decapitation-by-basketball, this movie has nothing in the way of substance or quality. It feels like a poorly done home movie at times, and other times it's just disgusting. And as one last note: I found it ridiculous that this horny teenager had a remote-control girl in his attic and didn't ONCE think to make her do... things. That might be the most unrealistic part of it all.
August 9, 2013
The ending kills this movie. I heard that there was a ton of executive meddling going on with this film, and I wouldn't doubt it. I hope to see a possible director's cut of the film.
August 2, 2013
While reviews of this movie have been consistently bad, it seems to me that this horror-science-fiction-comedy flick is standard 80's stuff : limited special effects, fair-to-decent acting (Kirsty Swanson is quite good), dubious premises, impossible twists.
July 5, 2013
Your typical mid/late 80's comic horror flick from Wes Craven--BEE BEE!!
rodjeckrich
April 25, 2013
Another post-Nightmare on Elm Street Wes Craven dud. The video box was definitely freakier (not the lame image on here!). About the only cool thing in this is Anne Ramsay getting the basketball to the head death. Annoying robot, lame plot, and pathetic suspense.
March 17, 2013
Deadly Friend is Wes Craven's attempt at Bride of Frankenstein. While he didn't come up with the material on his own (it was adapted from a novel), it certainly bares resemblance to Wes Craven's ilk of storytelling. It reminded more of something like Frankenhooker, only in plot, but it's pretty mediocre for Craven. It's not all bad though. It's actually a rather charming little pseudo-love story that never really has a major pay off other than hints rather than actions. The cast is pretty good, although I thought Matthew Laborteaux could be a bit boring at times and underplaying his part. Kristy Swanson, of course, is great and beautiful as always. The film is also pretty cheesy and not too terribly hard to figure out, especially when it comes to the evil characters, which are completely over the top (including a shotgun-toting neighbor played by Anne Ramsey). The film mixes cynicism with sweetness plus horror and gore thrown into the mix. It's not perfect, but it's a sweet movie, all things considered. It's much more interesting than it seems on paper anyway.
March 12, 2013
Complete garbage even for the 1980s with poor scripting and laughable acting. It's another one only good to make fun about.
March 2, 2013
A bizarre and fascinating mess
January 3, 2013
How does one follow up a modern horror masterpiece like A Nightmare On Elm Street?(The Hills Eyes 2 doesnt count, it was filmed in 83 released in 85.)You release Deadly Friend indeed. A movie that offers no chills and no surprises thats so forgettable I seriously doubt when it was released on DVD for the first time, horror fans did not rejoice with excitement. This Frankenstein for the 80s stars Matthew Laborteaux as a boy genius who creates a robot, the annoying BB. He meets cute Sam(Kristy Swanson)the girl next door with an abusive, alcoholic Dad. Once Sam is accidentially killed by her Dad, our teenage Frankenstein decides to bring her to life, not by hacking up body parts, but installing a computer chip in her brain. She goes on a killing spree, including nasty neighbour Anne Ramsey courtesy of a basketball. The direction by Craven is so by the numbers it hard to like this movie, plus the script by Bruce Joel Ruben(Ghost)is nothing to get excited about either, you feel for the actors who are likable but deserved better. Plus, that end credits song is horrible, it ranks for me the second worst song for a movie(Graveyard Shift being the worst.)If you want to watch some older Wes Craven films I suggest you skip this one and watch the underrated The Serpent and the Rainbow instead.
December 14, 2012
Deadly Friend certainly isn't one of Wes Craven's better films. The acting is pretty bad and it's not on the same successful frightening horror level as Nightmare On Elm Street, but this film wasn't awful! It's awful cheesiness is surprisingly entertaining and it has one of the best death scenes ever! I think the film is a bit misunderstood, anyone that tries to take this film seriously won't make it through, but to watch with a sense of humor and understand it's obvious intent on being cheesy and silly horror shenanigans will find a bit more out of it. Otherwise, it is a forgettable piece of horror trash.
December 9, 2012
Basketball scene is memorable, little else.
December 4, 2012
So terrible, and yet sooo good!
November 24, 2012
i was young when this one came out
an just found it after 6 years of looking for this great movie....