Dear Frankie Reviews

March 13, 2014
06/31/15 warm, subtle and honest study of a woman who hires a stranger (Gerard Butler) to pose as her deaf young sons father to hide the lad from the sad truth about his real dad
May 22, 2015
The storytelling was refreshing compared to many of the pieces that come from Hollywood. The ending was well done. It is truly a "gem," and I think the director should be proud of such a masterpiece. I don't have all the jargon to provide a detailed critic, but it was "believable" and "refreshing" compared to all the films I have seen. The director set the bar high for other films, in my book.
½ September 25, 2014
"Dear Frankie" is one of the few example how a mother-son relationship can be so good being a film, eventhough it's simple and small, it's never narrow, but deeply touching and real heart-warmer while it takes a bittersweet lines. A drama which is very appropriate to watch with whole family.
½ August 19, 2014
Una increíble pieza cinematográfica. Dear Frankie es conmovedora, sutil y con actuaciones plausibles. Su historia es sencilla pero muy original. Un final un tanto abrupto pero realmente nadie se puede quejar de esta dulce resultado.
PD. Su música es espectacular, tanto su fotografía.
½ May 6, 2014
Sweet, moving story that I just loved.
½ January 22, 2014
It had good intentions. It just didn't strike a chord with me.
December 31, 2013
A touching little indy drama movie filled with great ideas, beautiful landscapes and terrific performances from the cast.
February 1, 2007
Nice little drama with good performances
June 22, 2013
Tudo neste filme independente é bom, a história, as interpretações e a atmosfera criada num retrato intimista que nos delicia do início ao fim :)
½ March 22, 2013
Grade: B- Ricky Miller
March 11, 2013
1st Daddy and Son movie on Sunday.
March 3, 2013
An amazing emotionally challenging film that takes us through an odd journey of a deaf nine-year-old 'Frankie' (Jack McElhone) and his overprotective mother 'Lizzie' (Emily Mortimer) who makes ends meet to make her son happy. The narrative is cute as we hear the little boys voice through the words of his letters to his envisioned father.
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to watching.
December 7, 2012
Beautiful film, heart warming, touching.
Gerry Butler is adorable in it. Must to see.
½ November 17, 2012
Over a period of time, I started to admire Emily Mortimer's work and this movie is the best example of her talent. A simple sweet story with minimum characters and a lot of heart.

Set in the suburbs of Glasgow, Lizzie (Emily Mortimer) is a single mom to Frankie (Jack McElhone) and she makes him believe that his father is a globe trotter in his ship and so he can't be around while hiding the truth about her separation. She writes to Frankie as his father giving him indications on where he is which Frankie follows passionately. When Frankie goes into a bet with his schoolmate to bring his father to a football match, Lizzie has to find someone to be Frankie's dad for the day. She employs a stranger (Gerard Butler).

Some movies are such where everyone is nice to each other and the situations are not challenging, but still the portrayal of lives can be very interesting. Gerard Butler stays in his element and gives a humble elegant performance and McElhone and his classmates does an apt job. But the real eyeopener was Emily Mortimer with her passionate yet controlled performance. There is hardly any moment that felt forced for dramatic effect in a rather very flat yet entertaining screenplay. It is a joy to listen to Scottish accent. Background score gels well in some dramatic moments.

Simple, humble, entertaining, heartwarming.
November 6, 2012
Dear Frankie, there were possible ways to find the truth about your real father but the fact that I don't know how you did make it an unreasonable plot hole in this pretty good film. Almost love, me.
July 24, 2011
one word: awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!
½ October 4, 2010
My heart ached throughout the entire movie. Wonderfully done...
May 14, 2007
I had this movie for ages and I only got the chance to watch it now and I'm really glad I did. A wondeful drama. Gerard Butler doesn't appear much but when he does, it's worth the wait.