Death at a Funeral - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Death at a Funeral Reviews

½ November 29, 2013
It is a very one-note film, however the well-constructed jokes come one after another. Hilarious and at times charming, Death at a Funeral is ultimately worth seeing, however if only for the laughs. Once it's over, there is little to remember or admire. However, it deserves credit for being a successfully funny comedy. Those are hard to find.
½ November 27, 2012
A very funny movie, really enjoyed the guy who mistaken took acid before the funeral and the movie could have went on and on but it did not it had one of those deadline opps out of money endings and that took away from the enjoyment of what could have been an outstanding film, but all in all I did a lot of laughing. 3 1/2 stars 11-21-12
½ September 5, 2010
Funny funny FUNNY-ASS movie!!! :) I'm just sayin.
½ February 9, 2011
Troy: Didn't notice him? He's four fucking feet tall.

"Last rites... and wrongs."

Death at a Funeral is a hilarious British black comedy. Most of the laughs come from how extremely serious the source material really is. That's what makes the black comedy genre one of my favorites. Movies like this know how to make us laugh even when we shouldn't be laughing. This one doesn't quite live up to the best of the genre because it does end up being another comedy of errors film. It's one of those movies where nothing goes right and when you think it can't get any worse; it does.

A family is gathering for a funeral and expect a somber affair. When a "small person" shows up wanting to talk to the son of the deceased, things turn from bad to worse. There's also a man running around after accidentally taking a hallucinogen. There's family qualms going on left and right. A father is mad his daughter is with a guy he doesn't approve of. A brother is jealous of his famous writer brother. A priest just wants to get the hell out of there. A wife wants a down payment on a flat. All this family shit is going on when they should be grieving over lost kin. It all adds up to make a rather funny mixture of obscene, disgusting, and rather gloomy film.

If there's one thing you'll learn from Death at a Funeral, it is that funerals, hallucinogens, and gay midgets don't mix well. A lot of the material is just piling onto an already terrible situation. There's little compassion for the characters, but that just makes it all the more fun.

I've seen the remake and actually like it more than most. It isn't as good as this one though. Death at a Funeral is a must watch film for the black comedy lovers out there. If you enjoy your comedy to be mean and dark, then this one is for you. It's not perfect, but the movies that populate this genre seldom are. It's just a good, little film. No more, no less.
½ July 3, 2012
I very much enjoyed this film, and I thought it was a fine comedy with a great cast. I found that the film had a good story, with plenty of effective gags to make it a worthwhile comedy to watch. I'm really starting to love British comedies, and they really have a unique sense of humor. This is just a well done film, and the cast here are great in their parts. Frank Oz is a great director and he makes another good film with this one. This is a zany comedy that is a must see if you love something eccentric, and it's most certainly that. This is a smartly written film that has some great performances. The film is one of best comedies that I've seen, and Frank Oz is a good director able to comprehend the comedic medium. The laughs are plentiful, and this is a smart comedy that doesn't use stupid humor to create its humor. The film is funny from start to finish. This is a very good film with a unique plot, and it really stands out. There is a lot of good elements that make this film good and is a must see if you're in the mood for a great comedy, and then check this film out. The very good script compliments the memorable acting. You do not want to pass up this fun comedy. Frank Oz has made another great film and this is a memorable comedy that has plenty of laughs. I thought that this comedy was one of the most original comedies in quite some time and the great cast make this an effective film that is never dull and always entertaining. A very funny film that has some great moments, Death at a Funeral is an accomplished film, and is simply put a wonderful film.
August 22, 2011
Such a brilliant and well thought out script with plenty of twists and turns and character development that keeps you interested throughout. There is no minute where you are unentertained. The great cast react and flow very well with each other giving such a screen authenticity you'd think you were really at the funeral watching this unfold yourself. The best of British.
December 27, 2010
Really funny and better than the remake.

Grade: B+
August 24, 2008
Keep it together, keep it together, you can do this... You're Simon Smith... You're a solicitor... You're a solicitor!... Eight hours! That's no problem! Eight hours will end in... (Looks at wrist) where's my watch?! (Looks at other wrist, where his watch is) Oh!... It's already been..... Seven hours to go... Oh Jesus, GD FUUUCK!!!! -- XD!!

And I could watch it again, and again, and again, and again! ^_^
August 19, 2007
A funny and enjoyable British comedy.
April 9, 2010
A comedy of escalating hilarity. Full review later.
June 11, 2010
Wasn't expecting much from some dinky movie at from the local video store, but was without a doubt one of the funniest films of the year, and probably better than the American adaptation, which I have yet to see.
½ March 5, 2010
An ensemble British go at it along the lines of Four Weddings and a Funeral. The cast is excellent, but unlike Four Weddings, the writing is not strong, and neither is the level of the material. Good for some excellent laughs, but the overall story may leave you flat.
½ June 18, 2007
Jane: Would you like a cup of tea, Sandra?
Sandra: Tea can do many things, Jane, but it can't bring back the dead.

A funny ensemble comedy from director Frank Oz. It takes place at a funeral and mixes a lot of dry British humor with a little slapstick, and some sitcom aspects that keep it from being better. However, despite the many high/drug induced performances used for comedic effect, Alan Tudyk does a great job at being under the influence during the worst possible time.

The film is set during the funeral of the father of our lead character, Daniel played by Matthew MacFadyen. After getting the right coffin to arrive at the house, the majority of the film involves assembling all the characters, who are of course relatives or friends. Daniel in particular is very nervous about giving the eulogy of his father, mainly due to his hot shot brother Robert also arriving and not doing so, despite being a successful and popular author. The other characters include Daniel's wife, who must deal with the mother who doesn't like her and of course appreciates Robert more than Daniel, openly. Ewen Bremner pops up (downplaying his accent for a change) as a suave guy, trying to hook up with a one night stand of his, Martha, who is currently dating Alan Tudyk's character - Simon. Simon of course made a big mistake by taking a hallucinogenic drug instead of what he thought was Valium. Then you have Peter Dinklage showing up as a sort of "friend" to the deceased, with ideas of his own.

Basically, the film works with its premise to set up some funny sequences and gives all the actors a good chance to play with their characters, even if all the setups don't feel all that natural. Its still a good effort and certainly worth a watch.

Robert: What are you doing in my dad's coffin?!
December 18, 2009
"Last rites... and wrongs."

Chaos ensues when a man tries to expose a dark secret regarding a recently deceased patriarch of a dysfunctional British family.

Funerals are serious business, where the mood is usually grim and sombre, and friends and family come together to commemorate the passing of their loved one. The proceeding is usually prim and proper, with some protocols to adhere to, for fitting tributes given in a dignified manner.

Death at a Funeral however, is a delightfully wicked black comedy of everything that can go wrong in a funeral. Daniel (Matthew Macfadyen) is preparing for the funeral of his dad, but my, there are so many things on his plate, such as bring trusted to provide the eulogy rather than his brother Robert (Rupert Graves), who is a best selling author, and having his wife constantly remind him about their deposit for their new home.

With the gathering of family and friends, expect the bizarre to happen, and it involves around, and this is not exhaustive, meeting the new prospective father-in-law when you're high on hallucinogens (Alan Tudyk in a scene stealing role here), a perpetually missing bottle of "Valium", a pastor who's in a hurry, an old senile uncle with a foul mouth, and a 4 foot tall stranger who seems to have a very shocking secret to reveal should he not get his way. There are multiple plot elements here all perfectly linked together like a well oiled stage play, and resolved in very satisfying outcome.

As a comedy, there are the big moments that are played out just for laughs, but what is commendable, is how it managed to sustain that laughter throughout the movie. It's not just laugh out loud moments, but little chuckles sprinkled along the way that had brought out smiles. And as you would already come to expect from a British production, the movie contains superb individual spoken lines that you would have to listen attentively to (and deserves repeat watching), but at the same time doesn't give you an inkling of a feeling that it's only for the linguistically-skilled, because hey, it does enjoy that occasionally toilet humour as well!
½ August 18, 2007
Hysterically funny British comedy about a funeral going wrong thanks to LSD pills, a grumpy wheel chair user, a hypochondriac and a blackmailing midget. Directed by "Yoda" Frank Oz, it combines all the known features of black and politically incorrect British humor. While it starts out somewhat slow and regular, the film burns a real firework of gags in the second half, culminating in one of the funniest and most wonderfully awkward scenes ever. The acting is accordingly excellent, with Brits either trying to keep their composure or losing it altogether. Go see this and you'll laugh tears like I did.
September 15, 2009
Absolutely hilarious British comedy at it's best. It's an over-the-top farce, but grounded in reality. Things just keep going that one step further as the belly laughs continue to get louder. The performances are perfect, as no one plays it for laughs, it's the dry wit that works. I wonder if Martin Lawrence and Chris Rock will have such subtlety in the remake. There's a lot here you would have seen before, but never has it been done so well. From Tudyk's painfully fantastic drugged up fiance, to Nyman showing how to act out a "poo on fingers" scene. There isn't a weak link here, nor an unfunny minute. There's just too much to praise and just needs to be watched.
½ August 21, 2009
the funny thing with dark humour is you either get it or you don't. Here, the setup is devine, the actors wonderful, and there are so many laugh out loud moments that you forgive the over the top hysteria (unnecessary in many scenes - and at this film's lengh, probably just filler), and the obviousness of some of the setups.

Some of the brashness works, like the midget extortionist, some make you roll your eyes, but has a better payoff (the drugged by accident dweeb), and some just don't work at all (the crippled uncle Albert, and the potty scene that accompies it).

In the final analysis, I laughed out loud many times, and there is one very "true" moment; while everyone at a funeral feels uncomfortable, mumbling empty platatudes "sorry for you loss" and all, there is a scene when the niece of the deceased confronts her controlling, pompous doctor father, telling him that he needs an attitude adjustment to prevent becomming a bitter, lonely old man. Just a throw away scene, and yet very, very true.
November 5, 2007
I Really quite liked this movie, its funnny and entertaining and a good story, great cast and acting !
Its about a mans funeral and its ment to be a nice peaceful send off but ends up with secrets and drugs and a near death of a hobbit!!
its a good light hearted humourous movie really worth a watch and men in suits and the lovely keeley hawes!
½ March 19, 2009
I didn't feel any of these descriptions, mentioned on the DVD cover, fit this movie perfectly: "A comedy to die for", "Insanely funny", "Uproariously funny". It was a passable comedy which is surely not a "must watch" IMHO.
June 10, 2008
"All I wanted to do today was to give him a dignified send-off. Is that really so much to ask?"

This British gem, directed by Yoda aka Frank Oz, was a genuine proof of that, once in a while, a film can come out of nowhere and make you laugh so much that it actually hurts.

The story is funny, the subject may not be but "Death at a Funeral" will surely deliver some insane scenes. There is not a single dull moment in the film. There's a lot of various characters but basically everything evolves around a selected few.

The acting is very good with many really hilarious performances. Peter Dinklage once again steals the show. I've been somewhat of a fan of his ever since I saw his wonderful portrayal in "The Station Agent".

If you're into dark (British) humor, you'll probably like the movie just as much as I did. I recommend that you go and see "Death at a Funeral" now before the US remake. Don't we just hate remakes? The question is once again, why try to do a remake of something that is already that good? Go figure and go see it!