Movies Like Death Becomes Her

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Death Becomes Her Reviews

Phil H

September 24, 2009
A film about rich and famous folk trying desperately to cling on to their youthful looks by any means necessary, well mainly women in this case. Gee not too far from the truth really is it, seeing these two aging Hollywood female stars, neither of which are particularly attractive in my book, acting narcissistic egotistical and spoilt whilst under thick layers of makeup. I think the trowels of makeup are the only way these two can achieve any remote level of beauty frankly.

The plot is all about a magic potion that...errr magically turns people into younger firmer versions of themselves and gives you immortality. A potion of youth and eternal life, but the trick is you must disappear from public view after ten years to keep the secret...errrrrrm secret, yeah. So naturally you can expect the cliched spectacle of seeing various ultra famous people popping up who have never really died from the public eye, forever immortal stars people wanna believe are still with us eg. James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, Elvis etc...

The first thing that hits you is how can this supposedly sexy siren (Isabelle Rossellini), who's real age is 71, keep this amazing secret under wraps in LA of all places!. She has dished it out to so many famous people who all abuse their fame it seems, its incredible she hasn't been discovered. She's an illegal magic potion dealer with muscle bound henchmen who are also all on it. I would of thought it might also get harder to hide this when people die and start to walk around like decaying zombies as we see slowly with the main two characters.

The other niggling bit is where exactly does she get this potion from? she seems to have quite a lot of it, does she make it in the basement?. And while I'm on it, her massive mansion, is that suppose to be 'disappearing from the public eye'?! really?? I mean seriously you couldn't get anymore attention if you tried!, the house is a freakin' castle!.

Yes the films plot is totally full of holes but I guess its not suppose to be remotely serious, just a silly fantasy. To a degree it does work, this is mainly down to the terrific special effects that at the time were virtually groundbreaking. It was quite good ghoulish fun seeing Streep and Hawn battle it out 'Beetlejuice' style with all the undead goofiness. Willis doesn't really do much accept scream the whole time and the sets have a nice modern gothic style accompanied by crashing lighting and thunder, which is cool for all the goths out there (like myself).

When it came out this was a pretty big hit as I recall, stayed in the cinema a while and I did enjoy it when I saw it (at the cinema, mum LOVED it!). Looking back it doesn't really hold up, sure the effects are still quite neat and there are some amusing bits, but generally its so stupid, lame and completely makes no sense...which ruins it in the end. Its pretty much a live action cartoon with a wafer thin plot, the poster is also a complete rehash of 'The Witches of Eastwick', best stick with that movie though.
Nicki M

January 13, 2008
Yeah, it's a bit dated now, but it's bitchy and entertaining with some decent effects for its age.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 14, 2007
Funny black comedy. Bruce has an affair with Goldie. She plots to kill his wife Meryl. Both women are aging but they discover an immortality potion. Great cast. Great special effects for its day.
Apeneck F

April 23, 2008
Dark comedy, enhanced by FX and the manic performances by the two unlikely leads (whoda thunk of Streep and Hawn as a comic duo??? But they work it!) that asks the age old question: "so you really want to live forever?"
Jacob E

July 17, 2011
I've never understood why critics dislike this one. It's one of the funniest dark comedies I have ever seen and features Bruce Willis in a role where he never touches a gun, which is a miracle in of itself. I won't describe the plot, but this is dark comedy at it's finest. Highly recommended.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Funny at times.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
A really good dark comedy, and with a cast of famous actors. The special effects look silly for the most part, but it doesn't detract too much from the fun of the movie. If you like dark comedy, see this movie, it's very entertaining.
Anthony L

December 31, 2010
Quite bizarre but very of its time. Highlights include Meryl Streep with her head on backwards, Bruce Willis's moustache and a hilarious and bizarre performance from a semi-clad Isabella Rossellini. Good old Robert Zemeckis.
Lewis C

March 13, 2008
"Take care of yourself. You and your body are going to be together a long time."

Death Becomes Her is one of my friend's favorite movies, and she finally convinced me to give it a shot, myself. I can't say that I fell in love with this dark comedy like she did, but it's not a bad movie.

Meryl Streep and Goldie Hawn play two life-long rivals who stumble upon the secret of eternal life, which adds a few complications when they both end up dying. Bruce Willis is the weak pawn who is used by both of them. These aren't the best roles for any of those actors, but each of them is watchable, as always.

I appreciated the sly digs that Death Becomes Her aims at Hollywood's (and really, everyone's) obsession with youth, vanity, and physical beauty, but it didn't match up well with my sense of humor. And the special effects are merely amusing, now (though I'm sure they were outstanding back in '92). For me, this was just average entertainment that I didn't like and didn't dislike. Your impressions may differ.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 17, 2009
I just say: LOL
Mark H

June 16, 2008
Black comedy about Madeline Ashton, a fading actress who steals the fiancÚ of her longtime rival, Helen Sharp. Years later, Madeline feels compelled to try a miracle cure for aging, after seeing how well her nemesis has aged. At best, the film is a delightful romp, infused with satire and wit. At worst. it's a stridently hyperactive shell of a film, overshadowed by freakish special effects. The problem, is that the movie is both and the story constantly vacillates between these two extremes. Luckily there are enough inspired moments to recommend this well acted, albeit campy film.
Lady D

August 2, 2006
Some funny scenes in this light hearted, black comedy. Meryl Streep, as you?ve never seen her before.

A fun watch, but one to wait for on tv.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

February 7, 2009
"Some people will go to any lengths to stay young forever. But Madeline Ashton and her old friend Helen Sharp are about to go TOO far."

When a woman learns of an immortality treatment, she sees it as a way to outdo her long-time rival.

REVIEW
Bruce Willis usually gets typecast as a strong, macho man so it was such a surprise to see him play an introspective, under the thumb wimp in this movie, in one of his best performances! Willis easily outshines both Streep and Hawn in this movie. This is a pure black comedy, a brilliant social satire on society's obsession with beauty and the sheer lengths some people will go to to ensure that they are continually perceived by others in the most attractive light possible. Truly a once in a lifetime experience this movie, with Bruce Willis giving one of his most underrated performances ever! You'll laugh and be horrified at the same time, which is an extremely difficult feat, which was only pulled off by a skilled writer and director.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

April 1, 2007
I wouldn't know that this movie would be so interesting like this... The story from the beginning looks simple, two woman who been rivals for each other trying to kill each other but they didn't know that they already drink a potion for live forever... Meryl Streep played brilliantly in this movie I think, at least she showed her charisma as Oscar winning lady in here... Same as Goldie Hawn, she doing great too in this movie.. Bruce Willis himself just looking like he's not Bruce Willis, because I can't recognize him... The make up team and the special effects in this movie were great... First that they can make three players in there looks young and old so easily... Then the effects when they got dead, it just brilliant... I must admit that Robert Zemeckis did another brilliant job for making me laugh in this movie, just a little disappointed that the story is a little predictable in here...
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

October 28, 2007
i enjoyed it i watched it years ago so i never new it had bruce willis init but it is good dunny and a bit weird but ok film
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 18, 2007
Been a while.
Daniel J D

July 24, 2007
Great premise and cast but ultra-cheesy... even for a satire.

Seeing Goldie Hawn looking like a zombie is as scary as it is hilarious.
Lafe F

July 20, 2007
Elegant and macabre black comedy. The actors are slightly over-the-top but fun to watch. The gore effects are worth seeing.
garyX
garyX

December 26, 2006
Enjoyably cynical black comedy satirizing society's obsession with youth and beauty. Hawn and Streep are hilariously bitchy and it's nice to see Bruce Willis shedding the dumb action hero persona to become a very able comic foil.
Dean !

June 24, 2007
A good if slighty dark and unusual comedy. Bruce Willis in a comedy!