QT Talks Death Proof: What's Different In the DVD Release?

Summary

At a press conference at Cannes, the Death Proof gang talked about the differences between the stand-alone version and the Grindhouse cut, as well as Tarantino's influences, his ability to write for female characters, and what's going on with his World War II flick, Inglorious Bastards. Back to Article

Comments

mjolson20

Matthew Olson

the only reason they r releasing it seperate is so weinstein can make back lost profit from releasing them together in theatres

Sep 18 - 08:55 PM

DiscoDan

Justin Tate

Boycott!! No way I'm buying this unless I'm buying Grindhouse. I understand that it bombed at the box office, but that's no excuse for cheating us.

Sep 18 - 10:12 PM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

I'm glad that I'll be able to buy Planet Terror without Death Proof. Death Proof did very little for me, but I'm willing to give it another chance as a full length film as it might become more interesting. The only thing that I really am going to miss are the movie trailers. I really wish they'd attach these to both DVDs.

Sep 19 - 06:05 AM

BUCK69

JIM GRONEFELD

This is a business decision as opposed to an artistic one. "Death Proof" is not really all that death proof. As the weakest part of Grindhouse, it died at the box office. It was deathly slow [talk, talk, talk]. And Zoe Bell's performance was dead-on-arrival. I couldn't imagine watching a longer version of this snooze-fest.

Sep 19 - 06:23 AM

BUCK69

JIM GRONEFELD

Sep 19 - 06:23 AM

Vitamin M

Matthew Haynes

I loved Death Proof. but yes I agree releasing them seperate is kind of an *** move. I want the trailers and I want the whole Grindhouse film. Loved the whole thing.

Sep 19 - 06:47 AM

dahluzz

joe shmo

i'm with buck69. i appraoched grindhouse figuring i'd sit through planet terror to get to the goods with death proof, but i was bass ackwards on the whole thing. i could just picture tarantino writing that verbose, self-indulgent dialogue, salivating over how many hot chicks he was gonna to get to say his lines. it was the same problem i had with uma thurman's way-too-cutesy character in pulp fiction. let's face it, the movie was a bore and led to the bad word-of-mouth that ruined grindhouse at the theaters.

Sep 19 - 06:55 AM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

I really liked both movies. However, I agree that Death Proof got pretty talky and slow (I honestly think it might have been better to switch the order). I'm unsure how much I'll like the extended version, but I'm going to rent it this week to find out. If it sucks, I'll wait until they release Grindhouse on its own. If it's better, I'll probably buy it.

Sep 19 - 07:33 AM

rerun717

Jim La Rose

Not buying them.

I want them in one package with the trailers or not at all. I might buy previously viewed so the studio doesn't get the money, but I will not buy either of these movies new.

Sep 19 - 07:49 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

What a crock this is; releasing the movies separately and without the trailers. It is as if they are trying to punish movie fans for not going to see Grindhouse t at the cinema. I saw it at the cinema and loved every second of the experience and was expecting to experience a longer Grindhouse on DVD. When will the studio executives realise that it will always be their loyal movie fans that pay their Mercedes bills and without our financial support, they can easily lose their Mercedes to the repo-man. Well, I have no intentions of buying Death Proof and Planet Terror until they release them together as Grindhouse.

Sep 19 - 10:06 AM

MC.

mc mc

The car chase sequences were not nearly as good as QT promised!!!

Sep 19 - 06:38 PM

minderbinder

anonymous anonymous

The trailers were by far the best part.

I liked Planet Terror better of the two, but I think their big mistake was just the order.

The talkiness of DP isn't necessarily bad, but it's VERY hard to sit through starting at the 1.5-2 hour mark. I think it would have gone over much better if they had just put DP first, then the more action oriented, more fun less chatting PT second. Planet Terror is just way easier to stay interested in when you are tired and your attention span is starting to wane.

Sep 20 - 01:28 PM

zexixenon

A.L. Brown

i don't know why Tarantino is so full of himself...his 'work' is so obviously an attempt to project the image of the ideal American man, steeped in the mythology of sex and violence, to compensate for his own perceived geeky gawkiness. his films are utterly empty, without profound thought or emotion; the perfect foil for American society, i suppose. 'death proof' is possibly the worst. it takes a lot of doublethink to scrape something positive from the bottom of the barrel of a gun, and Americans just aren't self-aware enough to appreciate the vague possibility of redemption the film represents. it certainly isn't feminist, we should put that hypothesis to rest once and for all: feminism is the promotion of constructive 'feminine' values and characteristics (love, nurture, gentleness, understanding) not destructive 'masculine' traits such as dominance, power, muscle and speed. Tarantino's 'strong' women simply outperform men in the realm of male values. his films do nothing to elevate the spirit or touch the heart, and for this reason will never be anything more than forgettable entertainment. but what else can we expect of someone whose greatest ambition is to create 'the most violent film of all time'? it would be sad if it wasn't so tragically funny.
Post Rantum -- the greatest virtue of Grindhouse is the title of Rodriguez' contribution, Planet Terror: pure tongue in cheek genius.

Sep 23 - 02:21 AM

killermonkey8822

Joey Chid

i didn't like death proof as much as i thought that i would.... but it was still enjoyable once it actually got going...... planet terror was much, much better.

Oct 24 - 04:09 PM

musefan2112

Anthony Martinez

ugh ive heard they have released a 6 disc edition in japan..

hopefully it will be released in the u.s soon

Mar 25 - 04:34 PM