20% The Identical Sep 05

Van Damme goodness.
DerekA101
DerekA101

October 8, 2008
Death Warrant is another typical 80's- early 90's action flick. It's cliche to a fault. The dialog is beyond campy, the action is a bit cheesy, and the plot is fairly predictable.

Jean Claude Van Dame is one pretty cool dude. I wish he could've done more work in today's industry. He round house kicks his way through every bad guy in the prison. Very typical JCVD...

I can't recommend this... but if you like his work or enjoy martial arts/action movies, then this is entertaining enough.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 22, 2007
this old van damme stuff is always good
deano
deano

November 29, 2006
Jean-Claude Van Damme faces his biggest challenge in a maximum security prison with great death-defying stunts and non-stop martial arts wizardry.
DrLappos
DrLappos

October 10, 2007
I actually liked it despite my best attempts..
chadroesti
chadroesti

February 22, 2007
JeanGayClaude
NuditysShiver
September 18, 2009
Lou Burke (Jean-Claude Van Damme) is an undercover cop sent into the prison system to unravel a mystery surrounding the deaths of it's inmates. On file, he was incarcerated for armed robbery, a case said to garner respect from the inmates. After a little budding around, Burke finds out that the inmate's deaths were caused because of their organs, which were sold to the highest bidder on the outside. The Sandman (Patrick Kilpatrick), who was killed by Burke a year prior to his incarceration, is sent inside in order to prevent Burke from achieving his goal.

Death Warrant was maybe Jean-Claude Van Damme's weakest film to come out of the nineties. The film had a quickening pace that featured no character development, especially on The Sandman. We're only given a shot of his death at the beginning with nothing else to show for. The only thing we know is that he's impervious to bullets and fire; some kind of terminator. Even the ending left room for some debate because we're left with a huge gap in the storyline. The people responsible for sending Burke undercover were never apprehended. One was said to be involved in the cover-up of the murders as well.

Death Warrant was a mistake of a film and was a good move to release this before his career took off. Van Damme was pretty much asleep through the entire filming process with the final showdown between his character and The Sandman being a little too long for comfort. I know Van Damme's films are solely for entertainment purposes only, but a little maintenance on the script would have been nice.
somebody421
November 10, 2009
This Van Damme film is terrible, but I repeat myself. He plays a cop who goes undercover in a prison. Essentially, he kicks ass, then gets beat up, then he kicks ass again. The End.
February 13, 2009
JCVD is all you need to know, you either love him or hate him. This movie isn't his best but it isn't his worst either.
prentisminix
September 15, 2006
always loved van damme, he fell off big time as he got older, but if my memory serves me right, this one wasn't bad
April 29, 2006
"YOU CAN'T KILL THE SANDMAN"
.................................................................
yet he does
.................................................................
"ANOTHER CLICHE ACTION MOVIE WHERE THE STAR GOES TO PRISON TO KICK SOME INMATE ASS"
August 17, 2013
Jean-Claude Van Damme does prison drama! While ridiculous and poorly acted, the film holds itself together through enough cheesy moments to keep it fun. It's no masterpiece, but you will get your fill of Van Damme's cheesiness if you watch it. Only B-movie fanatics need apply.
July 6, 2013
Van Damme is in a prison where he spins around and kicks dudes in the face for ninety minutes. It also has TV's Benson.
May 29, 2013
lock up vs van damme!
February 3, 2013
I don't think I can launch a serious defense of this one. It's pure formula from beginning to end. Van Damme is usually not much of an actor and he's even less of one here. Robert Guillaume offers some solid support, but really, most of the actors in this aren't a whole lot better than Van Damme. But I like this one, and I like it because it manages to execute the formula well without veering off into extraneous nonsense and without taking itself too seriously. It's solid entertainment if you like this kind of thing.
January 28, 2013
An undercover Canadian mountie is sent to investigate why prisoners are dropping like flies in a Canadian jail. The usual action vehicle made to exploit Van Damme's action star charisma. This one has a little too much tasteless and needless violence in it.
August 2, 2012
THAT GUY CAME OUT OF THE FURNACE!!! That part was AMAZING!!
January 15, 2012
action driven van damme classic. this is dated but fun all the same
July 21, 2011