Death Wish 4: The Crackdown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Death Wish 4: The Crackdown Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
August 8, 2012
I really enjoyed this fourth film in the Death Wish series, and though it really isn't anything new, it still proves that Charles Bronson is one mean vigilante. In this one, Bronson gives his brand of vigilante justice to a bunch of drug dealers. I very much loved the first three films and I thought it was an interesting idea for this film. The idea was quite different, and it worked. Although the film isn't perfect, it still manages to be good fun and is pretty good for a fourth film. Charles Bronson is always a pleasure to watch on-screen. Die-hard fans of the series will enjoy this, and though it's nothing new, this one still delivers what you'd expect. Charles Bronson delivering vigilante justice to the bad guys. Go into this film expecting a mindless action film, and that's what you'll get. The film is very entertaining despite its flaws, and overdone ideas. Bronson still is awesome to watch, and in the end, that's what's important. Although it's never anything memorable like the first three films, Death Wish 4: The Crackdown should appeal to fans of the series and action buffs in general. Death Wish 4 is nothing new, so don't watch expecting something very different, it doesn't have that. Sure, the main character goes against drug dealers now, but the formula is the same. We know what will happen. Despite this, I liked the film, and thought it was a pleasant time waster. If you're in the mood for mindless action, then give this fourth film a try.
January 28, 2008
Charles Bronson did it again! He pulled off the impossible, He makes Schwarzenegger and Stallone look like wussies. I thought his performance was nothing less than mesmorising and for and old guy to walk softly and carry a big gun that takes alot of talent. the story was so heart warming and Bronson's performance was so powerful that I felt a shockwave of emotion from his stoic appearance. DeathWish 4 is the feel good movie of the eighties and deserves to be treated as respectfully as the third installment of this amazing series. The final action set piece takes place in a roller skating rink and it truely gives the viewer a sense of dark lighting and feeling especially when you see a bunch of clantily scad women and male teens running for their lives as Bronson mows down gangster after gangster in this power packed emotionally driven sequel. By the way, check out Bronson's one liners, they are sure to put chills down your spine. And you gotta love that rocket launcher he uses at the end.
cancercapricorn2002
½ July 3, 2007
Some spoilers here ********************************************In this forth installment of the "Death Wish" movies Paul Kersey not only takes out the local street hoods but has him using and manipulating the top organize crime gangs, that are dealing in illegal narcotics in L.A. Kersey get them kill each other off without them ever knowing about it! This whole plan was hatched by very wealthy businessman and "distraught father" Nathen White, John P. Ryan.

Seeing that he and Kersey both have something in common, their daughter were crime victims, White supplies Kersey with information and guns and explosives to do in both L.A drug gangs, the Zacharias & Romano, and thus stop the flow on the streets of dangerous and illegal drugs. Kersey reluctantly goes along with White's plan; he already did in the sleaze ball drug dealer JoJo (Hector Mercado) who was responsible for his girlfriend's daughters death.

Coming up with a proposal, as well as threatening to go to the police and exposing him, White has Kersey take the bait and methodically wipes out, with their help, the Zacharias and Romono gangs. Paul does it his usual way by blasting shooting and it one case dropping one of Zacharias' men off the balcony of a high-rise building where he landed on the hood his waiting limousine.

Kersey to his surprise later finds out that he was actually working for another mob drug kingpin, White the so-called distraught dad! Kersey was doing his dirty work by taking out his, White's, competition. Kersey also does a little cleaning up of the corrupt LAPD by blasting dirty cop Let. Nozaki, (Soon-Tek Oh), who found out who he really was and keeping it quite until he, Let. Nozaki, did the job himself in killing Kersey, them breaking the good news to his boss, not the LA Chief of Police, drug kingpin Eddie Zacharias.

After what looked like the "Battle of the Mobsters" the Zacharias and Romono mobs were wiped out in a free-fire fight outside L.A at a deserted oil field. We're treated then to still another bloody shoot-out between vigilante Paul Kersey and the surviving Nathen White Mob, in and out of a local skating rink. In that shootout Kersey's girlfriend newspaper reporter Karen Sheldon (Kay Lenz), gets shot to pieces by White who then Kersey blasted clean out of existence with his M-90 machine gun/rocket launcher.

After offing JoJo at the start of the film "Death Wish 4" it seemed that Paul Kersey was ready to go back to his peaceful and serene life as an architect and living with Karen, after burying and mourning her daughter Erica. It''s then that Paul was recruited by a higher power to do, like the saying goes, what's a dirty job but somebody has to do it and nobody is better at doing it than Charles Bronson/Paul Kersey.

This film is a step up from the last film. While not great it does have a couple of good plot twists and some soild acting. Its worth checking out for fans of the series.
deano
March 13, 2007
Same old story. Even older vigilante.
½ December 1, 2008
This was a great action flick with lots of top notch ammo use.
½ December 9, 2007
While not as funny as the comedy Death Wish 3, this is one effin entertaining flick. I think I am officially a J. Lee Thompson fan, the man made some wonderfully violent eighties Bronson extravaganzas which are up there with my favourite action films. In this one it seems they are going back to basics at the beginning, someone close to Kersey is killed, but then Kersey becomes Yojimbo after being financed by a millionaire to help take out the trash. With the inventive kills, Kersey is almost becoming like a Jason or Freddy.
½ July 23, 2015
What entertainment value that exists is deeply engulfed by tedious plot twists and misguided action.
½ September 13, 2015
As an 80s Bronson Movie, its average, but its low-budget, and
it has typical violent gun play, that you would expect.
January 26, 2013
-IGNORE THIS "OUT OF FIVE" RATING
0/4
More of the same, except Bronson plans to wipe out drug dealers. Exceptionally cheap entry in this already embarrassing series.
February 7, 2015
Death Wish 4 is the epitome of 1980's Canon film action cheese. It isn't exactly well crafted but it is entertaining and Bronson gives another one of his chiseled cool, calm, and collected tough guy performances. I have never seen a cinematic character endure more death and pain and barely shed a tear than Bronson's character in this series.
May 28, 2014
For me, this is the most entertaining movie since the original. Yes, the acting is questionable, and some of the effects are sub-par, but it's still somewhat engaging. There's actually an attempt here to do something different. Whereas the second film was a rehash of the first, and the third plummeted into complete fantasy, this installment at least throws in a plot twist and a mention of a relevant issue. However, bodies piling up is the name of the game so try not to think too deeply as the blood spatters your screen.
April 12, 2013
As gun violence is the latest trend in the news media and opportunist gleefully jump to spew out their "ethical" nonsense, Death Wish 4- Crackdown would beautifully serve as a form of defiance. I would compare it to the film the Last Stand with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Other than that, there is nothing really meaningful about the film and its message will not suffice at all. It will work pretty well as solid entertainment. Heck, some people might like it for it almost falls into the category of "so bad, you have to see it!" I am tempted to tell you to watch it but I will advise you not to see it unless you are a fan of Bronson or stupid action movies. By all means go ahead if you are. I may have given this film such a low rating, but that does not mean I hated it. I would find myself in the same scenario with Drive Angry which is even worse the Last Stand! A much larger and better detailed review avaliable through FaceBook and Epinions.
September 22, 2012
Not good. The story was bland and it didn't feel like a real Death Wish movie. There was no real motivation behind this guy's actions and I really didn't care whether the bad guy lived or died. Grade: D
May 19, 2012
Giving Kersey a defined villain to go after instead of a more general reaction to a crime was interesting but still devolved into a massacre with some social commentary that feels particularly heavy-handed and almost comical. Bronson's craggy faced everyman once more brings the pain to the evil doo'ers and tends to gloss over the implications that his own actions begat even more violence than it possibly cures.
½ August 12, 2011
As long as Kersey is breathing he's dangerous

Architect Paul Kersey is known for vigilante behavior within some small circles. He is forced to take justice into his own hands after his girlfriend's daughter overdoses on cocaine. A rival gang black mails Paul into taking out those responsible for selling the drugs to the girl. Can Paul transition from vigilante to assassin?

"Who are you?"
"Death."

J. Lee Thompson, director of The White Buffalo, Firewalker, Murphy's Law, Battle for the Planet of the Apes, Cape Fear (1962), The Guns of Navarone, and Cocktails in the Kitchen, delivers Death Wish 4. The storyline for this picture is fairly standard for the action genre but the action scenes were first rate and reminded me of Cobra. The acting was fairly straightforward and the cast includes Charles Bronson, Kay Lenz, Dana Barron, Michael Russo, and Danny Trejo.

"What happened to my daughter?"
"She had a cocaine overdose."

We continue to watch as many Charles Bronson pictures as possible so I had to watch all of the Death Wish movies. Well, the first three movies were fairly interesting and worth watching and this is honestly the first one that was action for the sake of action. This film mildly tries to have a worthwhile plot; but ultimately, the story is flimsy and the picture jumps from one shootout to another. I do recommend seeing this picture if you are an action movie junkie.

"Do what you have to."

Grade: C
September 18, 2010
Though it's plot is a bit different this time around, the action is worse, and there seems to be a lot more of it this time around, with only one dramatic scene. Terrible special effects don't really help, either. Skip Death Wish 4.
October 23, 2009
In Death Wish 4, Charles Bronson's epic action hero character, Paul Kersey, returns yet again to do his vigilante work. After his girlfriend's (classic actress Kay Lenz) daughter overdoses on cocaine and dies, a mysterious billionaire (additional classic actor John P. Ryan) enlists Kersey to take down the two biggest drug kingpins in L.A., giving him full resources such as spy technology and mass amounts of weapons. And of course, Kersey systematically goes through many different henchmen, working his way to the top to destroy both sides, all while avoiding two detectives (George Dickerson & Soon-Tek Oh) who may or may not be corrupted. Death Wish 4 is a surprisingly improved sequel over the first two, practically rivaling the original one. Though we are without the usual Death Wish director, Michael Winner, part 4 is fortunate enough to be helmed by the great J. Lee Thompson, who's created hits all across the board like suspense (Cape Fear), science fiction (two Planet of the Apes sequels), horror (Happy Birthday to Me, and western (The Guns of Navarone). There's a lot of great action as well as suspense that keeps the movie moving rather fast. I was really surprised by this as I thought it would eventually run out of steam. Two big rules when it comes to the Death Wish franchise: 1.) Bronson is able to avoid hundreds of bullets flying at him flawlessly, and 2.) Bronson is not allowed to have relationships! Once again, familiar faces show up within the enemies Kersey fights through. This time around is Danny Trejo (who's in just about everything) and Irwin Keyes (House of 1,000 Corpses) in small roles. Overall, Death Wish 4 is a fun and entertaining 80's actioner (though the last one to occur in said decade unfortunately). Great film.
April 9, 2007
This is my least favorite of the series because it's as if the script writers had no inspiration whatsoever. The character of Paul Kearsey does no more than go through the motions of a vigilante. There is no passion behind the character's reason for taking up the gun again, the writing, or the actors. The twist is lame at best. Watching this was no different than watching a feature length 80s anti-drug campaign. Very disappointing.
October 3, 2008
Pal Kersey has some really bad luck. Everyone he has ever loved seems to die. The plot in this one is probably the worst in the series. There is a great showdown at the end of the movie but aside from that it isn't very interesting.