Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay Reviews

January 21, 2014
Great access to the man with a lot of historical figures and footage. But after seeing the film, I don't feel I have any greater appreciation for the man than before I saw it.
JC
½ July 27, 2013
First became aware of Ricky Jay 25 years in Mamet's House of Games and have been fascinated by the man and his talents ever since. Deceptive Practice takes us into his world of magic and sleight-of-hand and is one of the best 88 minutes you can spend in the dark this year. (7-27-13)
April 5, 2014
I got kind of choked up during the giant ice cube story.
February 6, 2014
A paint-by-numbers retrospective.
January 21, 2014
½ January 19, 2014
Magician, con man, & husband, this documentary not only covers all sides of the man of magic , it 's also useful as a truncated history of slight of hand
½ January 16, 2014
Deceptive Practice provides a thorough look at sleight of hand artists of the 19th century and what they brought to the magician community, but the film lacks any true magical excitement.
January 1, 2014
This is a remarkable and fascinating documentary about Ricky Jay, today's most schooled and gifted slight of hand artist. Forget about David Copperfield and David Blaine. Jay brings with his presentation an enormous amount of history. Commentary by David Mamet in particular adds additional insight to this well-produced work.
½ December 28, 2013
Very interesting, to me at least. I don't know how interesting this will be to most people. Give it a shot if you like sleight of hand.
October 28, 2013
Too creepy for me probably.
JC
½ July 27, 2013
May 6, 2013
Great film, like the subject- full of arcane history and wonderful snippets of history. Almost as good as going to see live magic. Many great tricks and thanks to the inclusion of live audience members you can feel the excitement of seeing real sleight of hand. I saw this SF at the Film festival and the audience loved it.
April 23, 2013
An excellent, engaging portrait of an amazing sleight of hand artist and scholar of magic-- we saw it with a sold out crowd at Film Forum in New York