The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years Reviews

½ February 15, 2013
A very interesting documentary and capture of the life of metalheads in the late 80s. I was really looking to watch the first part, but I loved seeing all the great bands in this movie. It wasn't as funny as I heard it was, but it was interesting, as I said.
garyX
April 23, 2007
I grew up with metal, and I have a real soft spot for this documentary...it's hilarious! It's EXACTLY like This Is Spinal Tap...but it's REAL!! THESE PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY SERIOUS! Comedy genius!
½ April 5, 2009
Pretty good rockumentary, that features alot of my favorite hair bands back in the day with an awesome soundtrack. Watch for a very very drunk Chris Holmes (w.a.s.p.) and a special breakfast interview with Ozzy. worth a look for any headbanger.
½ March 17, 2009
It's mostly extremely bad 80's glam rock here but what Sheepris points out is something common within the big rock bands at the time (and big bands in general now): fame and fortune. Yes, you will ask yourself if these people are serious and yes they are. It's ridiuclous but at the same time equally as sad. Every single musician on display refused to believe they'd ever burn out or disappear completely which is just another side effect of the big materialistic picture. Boy were they wrong.
October 2, 2008
Penelope Spheeris captures more than just a snapshot of a trend in rock'n'roll with this fascinating documentary. She really taps into the psyche of those involved in the scene, and shows how ultimately superficial the desire for fame and fortune can make people. She also shows the ill effects the party lifestyle had on the many that aspired to rise to the top but ended up crashing and burning. Also, its worth mentioning that there is something sublime about watching Ozzy Osbourne fix breakfast...
May 20, 2008
I haven't seen this documentary for almost 20 years. Candid interviews and performances from some of the great (and not so great) Metal Gods of the 80's. Its amazing the way some of them lived and survived to talk about it. A Must See For All Metal Heads! Horns Up!
½ October 4, 2007
One of my most preciously owned VHSes. This documentary will take you back to a better time when modern music didn?t suck. A time where guys wore more makeup than girls, a time where the lead singers? voices were as good live as they were on cassette tapes, a time where groupies were at their peak. I won?t go into much detail about which bands are featured in this righteous documentary however I will throw a few names at you: KISS, poison, cooper, and a very drunkenly awesome cameo from a fairly well-known guitarist if you?re into the genre. The Metal Years is the essence of 80s heavy metal trapped in plastic black rectangle that will probably one day be eaten by my ghetto VCR. This is something that each metal/rock collector should have resting on their dvd shelf if it's not already inside their dvd player.
July 9, 2007
The struggles of heavy metal prior to the premature death from the flannel clad artifically angst riden alternative scene.
½ June 29, 2007
Never seen the whole movie but Chris Holmes and Lizzy Borden and Faster Pussycat and etc... what can go wrong?
May 31, 2007
Absolutely brilliant look at the best and worst of the 80's metal movement. Bonus points for Paul Stnaley pretending he's straight, Chris Holmes blitzed in his mom's pool, and every scene involving Odin. That's right...ODIN! ODIN! ODIN!
May 22, 2007
Ah the memories.... I saw this in a theatre that has long since closed. It's not a bad doccumentary.... Ozzy cooking breakfast! SWEET!
November 9, 2009
It's more about the glam LA scene, which is one of the most ridiculous parts of a ridiculous movement. Its funny for about 20 in minutes. Then it's just annoying. You want to stab every idiot in it. The lads from Kiss in particular are sad excuses for humans and should be executed.
August 5, 2012
I wonder if the Wet Cherry guy ever made it?
½ September 4, 2011
Interesting documentary profiling Hard Rock/Heavy Metal artists, including Paul Stanley, Ozzy, Steven Tyler, etc. It doesn't necessarily go anywhere, but I think the main premise was to elicit their collective opinion about the influence of MTV. The most memorable part of the whole film was watching an already inebriated Chris Holmes quaff an entire fifth of vodka while lounging in his pool. Paul Stanley is interviewed in bed whilst lying betwixt several scantily-clad women, and periodically making out with them, glorifying his life as a rock star. Ozzy was interviewed while he cooked breakfast over a hot stove (decades later, on the MTV show, The Osbournes, he couldn't even use a microwave). A must see for fans of this genre of music. Three and one-half stars.
August 28, 2011
Believe it or not, I had never seen this before (mostly due to its unavailability on DVD). It was awesome - definitely somewhat mocking in tone (like THIS IS SPINAL TAP, but real) but it's undeniably funny, even for a diehard metalhead like myself. Worth seeing as a time capsule alone.
JTB
½ August 29, 2010
This movie was a pretty good documentary on metal and bands.