The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years Reviews

½ February 15, 2013
A very interesting documentary and capture of the life of metalheads in the late 80s. I was really looking to watch the first part, but I loved seeing all the great bands in this movie. It wasn't as funny as I heard it was, but it was interesting, as I said.
garyX
April 23, 2007
I grew up with metal, and I have a real soft spot for this documentary...it's hilarious! It's EXACTLY like This Is Spinal Tap...but it's REAL!! THESE PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY SERIOUS! Comedy genius!
½ April 5, 2009
Pretty good rockumentary, that features alot of my favorite hair bands back in the day with an awesome soundtrack. Watch for a very very drunk Chris Holmes (w.a.s.p.) and a special breakfast interview with Ozzy. worth a look for any headbanger.
½ December 17, 2011
So are you ready to watch 80s excess till the wheels fall off?!!? This documentary is both hysterical and very depressing. You have people believing 100% that what is going on is the greatest thing that has happened and will ever happen. The movie is summed up perfectly when a guy states "i don't work, i can't stand work" and Spheeris asks him "what was the last job you had?" and he responds "I've never had a job" The movie is also depressing because you see SO many douchebags in this! And how the music industry has turned into a conveyor belt,so it cranks out horrible hair metal music until it doesn't show any profit. The best scene of the entire movie has guitarist Chris Holmes in a pool sitting on an inflatable chair. He's drunk, his mom is poolside in a chair and he talks about his alcoholism and life as a rocker...that scene is shocking in how depressing it is.
½ September 4, 2011
Interesting documentary profiling Hard Rock/Heavy Metal artists, including Paul Stanley, Ozzy, Steven Tyler, etc. It doesn't necessarily go anywhere, but I think the main premise was to elicit their collective opinion about the influence of MTV. The most memorable part of the whole film was watching an already inebriated Chris Holmes quaff an entire fifth of vodka while lounging in his pool. Paul Stanley is interviewed in bed whilst lying betwixt several scantily-clad women, and periodically making out with them, glorifying his life as a rock star. Ozzy was interviewed while he cooked breakfast over a hot stove (decades later, on the MTV show, The Osbournes, he couldn't even use a microwave). A must see for fans of this genre of music. Three and one-half stars.
August 28, 2011
Believe it or not, I had never seen this before (mostly due to its unavailability on DVD). It was awesome - definitely somewhat mocking in tone (like THIS IS SPINAL TAP, but real) but it's undeniably funny, even for a diehard metalhead like myself. Worth seeing as a time capsule alone.
May 9, 2011
A superior rockumentary that zeroes in on the personalities and desires that fueled the 80's Heavy Metal era
November 11, 2008
In its core, a hilarious, vicious attack on the 80's Metal scene, particularly scanning the Sunset Strip. It's always on IFC for some reason.

The film portrays the scene as a nonstop sideshow of delusion ("I will make it!") and excess, filled with fevered overstroked egos who are seriously all in bands competing as to who most closely resembles Spinal Tap. I would have loved to party with these guys but Jesus Christ these people have NOTHING to say. The dude from WASP is the funniest guy ever though, and so are the douchebags from Faster Pussycat and Odin. The "sexy dancer contest" Bill Gazzarri chick is seriously one of the most shallow people I've ever seen. I won't be surprised if over half of these motherfuckers are dead by now. Lemmy is lost in the mix, being interviewed in the distance and seen as a "pioneer", because he legit rules.

It's no wonder the rest of the world hates Los Angeles.
½ June 4, 2009
½ March 17, 2009
It's mostly extremely bad 80's glam rock here but what Sheepris points out is something common within the big rock bands at the time (and big bands in general now): fame and fortune. Yes, you will ask yourself if these people are serious and yes they are. It's ridiuclous but at the same time equally as sad. Every single musician on display refused to believe they'd ever burn out or disappear completely which is just another side effect of the big materialistic picture. Boy were they wrong.
October 2, 2008
Penelope Spheeris captures more than just a snapshot of a trend in rock'n'roll with this fascinating documentary. She really taps into the psyche of those involved in the scene, and shows how ultimately superficial the desire for fame and fortune can make people. She also shows the ill effects the party lifestyle had on the many that aspired to rise to the top but ended up crashing and burning. Also, its worth mentioning that there is something sublime about watching Ozzy Osbourne fix breakfast...
½ September 15, 2008
Interesting documentary on the decadence and mania that is a large part of the heavy metal genre. It is interesting to see how many of the major bands in this documentary are no-names now, and it is both funny and cautionary, often at the same time. Overall, an interesting documentary.
½ June 11, 2008
What a bunch of losers. "Oh, I am going to make it." I wish they'd do a follow up to this movie and show these asswipes now.
May 20, 2008
I haven't seen this documentary for almost 20 years. Candid interviews and performances from some of the great (and not so great) Metal Gods of the 80's. Its amazing the way some of them lived and survived to talk about it. A Must See For All Metal Heads! Horns Up!
November 11, 2007
Fascinating time-capsule for the LA Metal scene in the late 80's. Being interested in this kind of music certainly helps enjoy the film, but it still remains a good documentary for anyone to watch. As depressing as it may have been at the time, it seems even more so now, knowing that the whole metal scene was to be completely over only a few years later, and basically all of the "there's no way I won't make it" people clearly never made it.
½ October 4, 2007
One of my most preciously owned VHSes. This documentary will take you back to a better time when modern music didn?t suck. A time where guys wore more makeup than girls, a time where the lead singers? voices were as good live as they were on cassette tapes, a time where groupies were at their peak. I won?t go into much detail about which bands are featured in this righteous documentary however I will throw a few names at you: KISS, poison, cooper, and a very drunkenly awesome cameo from a fairly well-known guitarist if you?re into the genre. The Metal Years is the essence of 80s heavy metal trapped in plastic black rectangle that will probably one day be eaten by my ghetto VCR. This is something that each metal/rock collector should have resting on their dvd shelf if it's not already inside their dvd player.
September 7, 2007
the drunk guy in the pool says it all- or tries to- and thus comes the end to those tumbled & jumbled metal years
February 2, 2015
Just the way the haremeers are lying around KISS during the interview xD