20% The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Defending Your Life Reviews

Alice S

January 3, 2013
A sweet fantasy into a weigh-station where the departed make cases for whether they lived fearless lives, and after judgment, they move onto greener, more intelligent pastures or get reincarnated back to Earth. I'm not a fan of Meryl Streep, but she is angel bright as the fearless Julia.

There seems to be a hidden layer of stupidity in those who move on - like that their diet consists of dirt and worms, or the substitute lawyer who uses 43% of his brain but doesn't say a word in court to defend Daniel - but they're just sight gags that don't come to fruition.
Dan S

October 15, 2010
An imaginative, hilarious look at an ad-man (Albert Brooks) killed in a car accident and sent to a purgatory-type afterlife, where he awaits judgment concerning if he lived a good life or not in order to see if he will be granted access into Heaven. If he isn't, he'll be sent back to Earth to live another life again. Albert Brooks really nails this from every angle - writing, directing, and acting, this is a genius film. It doesn't quite keep up the same momentum is has during its last half hour or so, but this is a mostly great comedy which features a great premise, and one that is executed soundly in almost every conceivable aspect. The ending is a strange one but fitting in a weird way. It's also very re-watchable thanks to its ability to get huge laughs, while at the same time possessing the skill to know when to become serious when time calls for it.
Aaron N

May 30, 2006
Daniel Miller: Why do you drive this?
Jeep Owner: What?
Daniel Miller: I'm curious. I see people driving these things. What do you know that I don't? Are floods coming? Hoover Dam broke? What's going on?
Jeep Owner: I like this car.
Daniel Miller: It's not a car, it's a battering ram. This is what Patton drove: "Hey you, soldier! Follow us!"
Jeep Owner: Make fun, but in an 8.5 earthquake, you'll beg for a Jeep.
Daniel Miller: In an 8.5 earthquake, I'll beg for a coffin.

A very funny and original movie, with Albert Brooks at his best. The story itself is a neat concept, what happens when you die? No overdoing it, just a nice idea where people are sent to a place where things get determined for you in an orderly fashion. The idea is to repeat life until you sort of learn a deeper meaning and can move on.

Brooks plays Daniel, a man who is killed at the beginning of the movie only to arrive in this afterlife setting. He is informed by his lawyer-type person, played by Rip Torn, that he will be judged based on clips from nine days of his life, and it will be determined whether he will be incarnated back on earth or move on.

While not on trial, Daniel gets to move around this afterlife town known as Judgment City. During this time he meets a woman Julie, played by Meryl Streep. Many jokes in the movie come from how much better Streep's life was and how much better she is treated in Judgment City because of it.

Daniel Miller: What is this?
Julia: It's my hotel.
Daniel Miller: This is your hotel?
Julia: Yeah. Where are you staying?
Daniel Miller: Obviously at the place for people that weren't very generous and didn't adopt anybody. I'm at the Continental. Come over one day; we'll paint it.

The movie is very funny overall due to Brooks style of humor. The way he writes his comedy works so well and is helped even more so when Brooks gets himself into various stages of his conversations, observations, or arguments. Also very funny are the actual judgment scenes going between scenes from Daniel's life and the discussion afterward.

Along with watching this movie for its story and humor, there are also various elements that hint at some deeper themes involving the thoughts on death and the assessment of life. The inclusion of a love interest and how that factors into the story is also effective.

I've watched this movie many times and love it. Its a good premise, featuring solid work from Brooks as well as the supporting cast. The ideas introduced here are good setups for the movie's concept without going to deep. Its very entertaining and well done.

Bob Diamond: Did we ever stop to think that this young boy had a bond with his father? I don't think it had anything to do with the friend. I just think Daniel couldn't lie to his dad. That's all.
Lena Foster: You're nodding, Mr. Miller. Does that mean you agree with Mr. Diamond?
Daniel Miller: Oh, yes. I had a bond with my father. I pretty much never lied to him.
Lena Foster: You never lied to your father? Would you like me to show you at least 500 examples?
Daniel Miller: I said "pretty much" never lied. I didn't say I never, ever lied. You have to lie sometimes... in an emergency. But, ah, it doesn't mean the bond is affected. If you've got the bond the bond is always there, and if you have to lie occasionally you're not going to interfere with the bond. You know, the bond can wait for a little lie and... in the end it's there for you... You know, sometimes in the middle of a lie I found that the bond would kick in... maybe squeeze a little truth out.
Bob Diamond: Psst, wrap it up.
Daniel Miller: I'm through.
jjnxn
jjnxn

May 30, 2008
Funny if erratic comedy, Lee Grant and Rip Torn make great adversaries.
Jason S

January 8, 2008
I think this is a pretty funny flick and the cast works great in it.
Lafe F

August 4, 2007
It's not how I expected the afterlife to be whatsoever. Albert Brooks makes himself the center of this lighthearted romantic comedy drama. It feels cheap.
James A

June 26, 2007
A great film from Albert Brooks.
Sean G

December 28, 2010
One of my all-time favorites!
John B

June 23, 2008
Yeah. An Albert Brooks movie. Aren't I supposed to like these things. Brooks is the king of corn and his title is well intact here.
Alec B

January 26, 2013
Hilarious and philosophically interesting. While it possess a lot of the hallmarks of standard romantic comedies, the unique take on the afterlife as well as Steep's and Brooks' chemistry elevates this film to some fantastic heights. Rip Torn and Lee Grant are pretty great as well.
lesleyanorton
lesleyanorton

April 11, 2010
Romantic comedy set in the afterlife where Albert Brooks gets taken to west-coast Judgement City to have his time on earth evaluated to determinine whether he goes on, or goes back. With Meryl Streep as the cheerful love interest who has done enough good things on earth to be a no-brainer for the next step. Sweet and sweetly funny.
Robert F

September 25, 2009
I never like romantic comedies, but this one wasn't too bad.
alanjayh
alanjayh

July 1, 2008
Kudos for originality...Brooks and Streep have good chemistry..this is funny and thought provoking...
Richard F

September 7, 2007
They just don't write romantic comedies like they used to...Great movie!
February 3, 2009
Expected a little bit more, but I think a lot of that is just built-up expectations. Really enjoyed it though.
September 13, 2009
Fantastically funny with lots of unique gags. Streep really does a terrific job of keeping the emotional nature of the relationship going while Albert Brooks brings the funny.
March 23, 2012
Immensely watchable and hilarious, Albert Brooks carries the film like dynamite. When he and Meryl Streep meet, the screen explodes. But you have to give credit to Rip Torn and Lee Grant because they are excellent as well. This is just a fun film that makes you think, too, about fear and consequences. Definitely a must-watch!
February 5, 2012
Loved this when I was younger, thanks to my dad for introducing me to the brilliance of Albert Brooks. Definitely a good watch.
November 19, 2011
This was a rather weird movie...Even the concept was a little out there for me. Albert Brooks is not on list of fvorites as far as acting goes, but Meryl Streep is and she was the main draw to this one, but once viewed it wasn't enough.
HeroPK
November 2, 2010
Seen it for this first time off a recommendation off the Adam Carrolla Podacast. I liked it although I don't really view Merryl Streep as a romantic lead. It is funny and thought provoking.