63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Deliverance Reviews

closedmouth
April 23, 2011
At times an embarrassing freak show, and at all times about as subtle as a sledgehammer. But Boorman's direction is so tense and entertaining, and the acting so crazy committed, I ended up not really minding its brain dead moral centre and just enjoying the ride.
InDIGnation
August 12, 2014
Disturbing, intense and ceaselessly compelling, Deliverance overcomes some of its narrative faults with a haunting tale of man's more primal side.
August 4, 2014
Deliverance is a survival story that delivers a few thrills and quite a bit of memorable shock value, but its sheer grit doesn't really amount to much by way of substance, an there doesn't seem to be enough material on the lingering effects the characters must have experienced after being involved in events so horrifying.
May 16, 2007
No bullshit, objective filmmaking, as well as an intense character piece and an interesting study of masculinity. Ensemble cast gels well, too.
October 5, 2013
A strange kind of thriller, and its greatness never fades away from the very start.
July 28, 2014
Though its content leans more towards fantasy than realism, Deliverance feels scarily authentic thanks to electrifying performances from its cast.
July 26, 2014
A lot like Pekinpah's Wild Bunch, Deliverance didn't take on its now legendary stature unti years after its release. Put simply, it's an American classic directed by a Brit. Hard to believe Vincent Canby trashed it. He must have had a bad martini or something.
academicke
June 22, 2014
A cross between a horror and an action movie set in Appalachia.

For someone who falls asleep in action flicks such as Die Hard, I didn't mind this testosterone-driven movie that much. It helped that Voight and Beatty's acting was excellent. Finally, I also didn't like the dialogue that much.
June 12, 2014
Deliverance is thrilling and suspenseful with a very talented cast.
June 7, 2014
Disturbing like expected with many creepy shots but some details are hard to follow and the story comes to a quick end.
June 6, 2014
chilling. Can you take the inner wild out of civilized man?
October 13, 2013
DELIVERANCE is a solidly written, gripping movie about man versus nature (Mother Nature and human nature). Sometimes the point was a little too on-the-nose, but it raises interesting questions about modernity, masculinity and survival. Also great are the four central performances by Jon Voight, Burt Reynolds, Ned Beatty and Ronny Cox. Each of them inhabit their character completely and fully immerse themselves in their roles. Even more incredible is the on-location shooting in Georgia which results in some beautiful images and taut thrills as the four men make their way down the river. The only complaint I really have is that towards the end, it slows down a lot and the way some of the story is wrapped up drags on for a few minutes too long. Still, this was an unforgettable journey that was worth the trip. You also might not look at pigs or "purty mouths" the same way again.
Michael H.
March 29, 2010
I had had never seen the uncut version of this movie before, nor had I seen it on a big screen before. This is a beautifully filmed movie (except for the bizarre looking day for night footage on the cliff). The performances are first rate, too (again with a lapse on the cliff).

The best remembered scenes unfortunately overshadow in our collective memory the fine performances that include those scenes. Bobby's (Ned Beatty) transformation as his inner strength comes out plays in the background of Burt Reynold's and John Voight's more active and prominent performances but is really the keystone of the movie without which it would crumble.
May 11, 2014
"That which hath been seen cannot be unseen," was my exact thought on the "squeal piggy scene".
May 9, 2014
Well that escalated quickly.
ninjacobra
March 8, 2011
Another classic I hadn't seen, and which I have been very satisfied by.
February 7, 2012
This movie is an intense thriller, with lots of twists along the way. Many of the scenes can make you uncomfortable, but the one that sets all the problems in motion is the worst. After the 'dueling banjos' you can clearly see the potential that the trip has to go completely wrong. The acting is pretty decent, the plot is a little flawed for me but it totally works in the movie.This one is a must see.
February 9, 2014
They probably didnt realize back then that they had just made a near classic. It encapsulate some very potent american myths, and is a pretty neet summing up of what is refered to as ''the stupid americans'', its totally poetic how perfectly it gets that, making a Hillbilly Epic. a horror legend of the inbred.Aside from the vivid scenery and the pulsating nature, the story holds, and reminds you that as much as civilization is plastic and constraining, what lurks Under is way more disturbing, so you may want to play normal some more. The fact the movie looks like a dream strangely make it feel more real.
January 21, 2010
We all know this movie even if we haven't seen it. We know what it's famous for. Honestly, that's probably what got me to watch it, out of morbid curiosity. But what's under that is a surprisingly tense, gritty, morally ambiguous story of violence and survival. Even if one particular moment has achieved pop culture icon status, and justifiedly so, I think it does a little disservice to what's actually a more compelling survival movie than I would have expected.