The Departed Reviews

May 2, 2015
One of the most quotable movies I have ever seen, the Departed offers an amazing cast with some incredibly rich dialogue supporting characters like Mark Wahlberg and Alec Baldwin. The only thing that bugs me is Jack Nicholson's Boston accent...
July 4, 2009
If the original Hong Kong's version is fantastic, then this remake version by Martin Scorsese is super fantastic. Not only this has a higher production value, Mr Scorsese rounds out the rough edges in the plot, adds scenes to enhance the high tension level and totally own the movie. Watching Jack Nicholson diabolically chews every scene is already worth the ticket. He is the one and only actor for this role. Except Matt Damon who is not convincing, the rest of the cast give a good performance. Highly recommended.
November 12, 2014
Deus seja louvado por esse filme.
Assisti pela 10ª vez.
May 4, 2013
This film is classic Scorsese, and it finally got the living legend a well deserved Oscar that he has deserved numerous times; 'The Departed' is an excellently executed thriller with outstanding performances from an unbelievably outstanding cast. But seriously though, wow, this cast is through and through perfect: Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg, Vera Farmiga, Martin Sheen, Ray Winstone, Alec Baldwin, Anthony Anderson and it just keeps going. DiCaprio's haircut makes him look really young; Matt Damon does his Matt Damon face at one point, with the raised eyebrow and slanted mouth; Alec Baldwin and Marky Mark have hysterical dialogue that really fit them and an absolutely outrageous Jack Nicholson that really does not care about what he says or does, which we find out within the first minute, even if it was kind of funny to see him in a tracksuit killing someone, near the start. Yep, it looks like it had SAG award for Best Performance by a Cast all over it and Leo was put into Supporting because he was already in the Leading category for something else. The only way to make it any better would be if Robert De Niro was in there somewhere. I did always feel bad for the original filmmakers though, Hollywood takes a smaller film that was released a few years before, remake it and then reap all the awards, would have been nice to have seen Mark Wahlberg win as well.

I remember someone saying that Jack Nicholson won an Oscar for this film and even though he didn't, I could see why they thought that though because it's Oscar worthy and it's just great to see him in a role like this, once again. And I laughed when he said that we shouldn't but seriously, why did that character laugh? They could have been killed right there. They keep him in shadow near the beginning and it makes sense stylistically and of course for the story to portray the progression of time, even if I remember seeing Costello's hair longer in shots before seeing the film, as to portray his craziness, I assume. And Mr. French seemed to remain quite casual when he got shot. We see Sullivan's story begin right from the start and Costigan's gets developed as the film goes on and Leonardo DiCaprio's emotions in the parts where he's really struggling to cope with what he was doing was fantastic; he also really did well at committing to that lifestyle. And honestly, I wanted to see Dignam beat up Sullivan so much and, well, I won't spoil it but the look on Dignam's face near the end was fantastic and so satisfying, you knew he loved that moment.

The story for this film was intelligent whilst also being highly entertaining. It makes sense why they chose Costigan for the job even if I thought he would have been arrested for pretending to be a cop. It wouldn't have made sense for the story but it wasn't the cliché moment that they picked the rat out of the crowd of workers even though it would have been odd to see if they picked Sullivan to be the rat. Even though I always do wonder in films like why the person undercover in the police department would go after their own person; I know it's their job but you'd have thought they would stall as much as they can but the story develops in a great way to a believable end, even finding Costello seemed to happen a little too quickly. It'd appear that the film could have ended at 2 hours and that could have been one way to end things but it keeps going for another 20 minutes and its all great. It's shocking and it looks like one character will get away with it all, but at least Sullivan did one good thing before the film ended by recommending Costigan but his face when he's left alone in the cemetery was sad. And it all leads up to an excellent final shot that really solidifies what an excellent film you just witnessed. I haven't really said that much as not to spoil it but it's also hugely entertaining and I just took it all in.

The way this film is put together is perfect; it has an excellent soundtrack, amazing editing of everything and an overall Scorsese shine that only he can accomplish. If I wasn't told it was Scorsese who directed this, it wouldn't be that hard to figure it out, all of his films have a different feel and tone but he knows how to do his gangster films. I also picked up on the 'x' imagery throughout the film, I thought it was just a coincidence at first but it continues. I thought that one of the plot points would be that either Costigan or Sullivan was getting too adjusted for the lifestyle they had to adapt to and while, out of the two, it'd be more likely for this to happen to Costigan, it didn't happen. There also some jokes about how corrupt the police are, some of which are even told by the police themselves, which was a nice touch.

There were only a couple of things I didn't really understand. We see DiCaprio's character wearing a wire at one point and even though it was for a very short time, I find it hard to believe Costello didn't find it. It's hidden like any good wire should be but we see Costigan being searched like anyone would be when they enter a place like that and I just find it hard to believe nobody found it. Also, around the same time when Costello suspects there is a rat in his operation, he doesn't think to suspect Costigan, the newly appointed member of his operation, to be that rat? Costello even knows Costigan's family as well as his own background of being a cop. And it also seemed like a tad of a coincidence that the cameras that were placed in that abandoned building were just out of place to oversee that meeting; I know they said they were rushed when placing the cameras, but still, and nobody can text that good without looking at their phone and not making at least one mistake. It also seemed kind of odd that no-one overheard the talk about the wrong address and Costigan still showing up to the right address anyway, but it's not like Costello employs the smartest of people. The ending seemed to happen a tad quickly as well, not the 20 minutes after 2 hours but the end of Costello's reign. The setup for Queenan's exit was clear but it was still shocking and sad to see as well.

Scorsese says this was the first film he ever did with a plot, while he was clearly telling a joke, no... That certainly is not true, however, it is a very complex and interesting plot and it is filled with excellent acting and is hugely entertaining; also, poor Brad Pitt for not being one of the producers up for an Oscar. 'The Departed' is, simply, a fantastic film and I'm so glad I've finally seen it and it's another one off the list.
½ April 22, 2015
Excellent film, exceeded already high expectations. Should have seen this movie way earlier
April 4, 2015
Extraordinary crime movie, based on the hong kong film Infernal Affairs. First of all Martin Scorsese is a great director, who is known by projecting this kind of crime stories, about police and mobsters, but the Departed is not another of the bunch.

This film has everything, from drama to action, all the stories are told in excellent shape. Leonardo DiCaprio and Jack Nicholson are awesome in their roles, although is not one of best Matt Damon performances. Mark Wahlberg surprised me, with a very convencing character like the asshole police who mistrusts all. It's a long story, but it is entertaining at all times and of course is recommendable. 10/10
½ April 7, 2015
A soft three stars. Jack Nicholson being 2.5 of that rating. I found the attempt of being a gritty film very non-authentic. Mark Wahlberg's character being the main reason for that. While many thought his performance was outstanding, I found it misplaced, silly and did not belong in this film. Damon's character barely stays above boring. I think I just talked myself into giving it 2.5 stars even with it's excellent cast.
April 14, 2014
A little bit confusing, but definitely Scoresese's new masterpiece. Slightly inferior to the original Hong Kong movie.
March 25, 2015
Martin Scorsese, Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon AND Jack Nicholson....Holy Cast. And, no they definitely don't let you down with this one, legendary movie.
May 26, 2012
Scorsese is magnificent. Every character gets his moment and DiCaprio shines!!!
August 11, 2007
scorsese's best film
September 3, 2013
One of the most high-paced crime movies I've ever scene.
May 25, 2012
intense and engrossing the departed is yet another masterpiece film from Scorsese filled with twists and betrayal and phenomenal performances from Damon, DiCaprio, Nicholson, and Walhberg
December 20, 2014
More swear words than any other film I can recall. A brilliant film, with an unrivalled ensemble cast of genuine stars - Ray Winstone excluded - each of whom add something to the film and plot. Nicholson is fantastic as the crime lord. It is however, a touch long, and those Boston accents are not easy to understand.
March 15, 2015
Legendary performance by Leonardo di Caprio; and Jack Nicholson (although he set the bar so high for all his performances that we may not really appreciate as much we he deserves). Plus a great police / action plot, keeping it beautifully tuned until virtually the last 15 seconds. One of the best movies I've seen, truly because it fits the definition - great acting, superb plot, entertaining and head-twisting and enraging.
March 14, 2015
Good movie. The type of movie that you can watch a few more times, and still enjoy it. Leonardo was great as always, as well as Nicholson and Matt Damon.. The only thing personally I did not like about this film, is I really wanted to see Costello find out about Costigan. I wanted to see his shock and anger, and his reaction to that. Everything else though about the movie was great, the acting was great and every character was believable.
February 11, 2015
With his latest film, "The Departed", Martin Scorsese has once again proven his ability to create a superb film. This crime drama tells the story of two unrelated Boston cops whose connections to the criminal underworld bring their lives colliding together. As such, this is a very character-driven film.

The best part of "The Departed" is its characters and the incredible actors who bring them to life. Leonardo DiCaprio gives an excellent, sincere performance as Billy Costigan, a cop from a family of criminals determined to redeem himself. Matt Damon gives an equally excellent performance as Colin Sullivan, a criminal mole in the police force. I really like the way Scorsese developed DiCaprio's and Damon's characters as great foils for each other. Jack Nicholson, as mob boss Frank Costello, just does his thing, with his usual charisma. And Mark Wahlberg is entertaining in his supporting role.

"The Departed" is definitely another Scorsese triumph. I really enjoyed the performances of DiCaprio, Damon, and Nicholson, and it's only because I was enjoying these performances that I went along with the drawn-out plot. "The Departed" is a well-acted, well-written, and well-directed film. And the last 20 minutes will completely shock you.
½ January 6, 2013
Scorsese has done it again - "The Departed" is a great time.
½ April 19, 2014
Everything i though it would be! amazing i can't explain how great this is
February 26, 2015
Just keeps getting better the more I see it. Superb acting, good dialog and plot. This movie is actually somewhat based on real-life Irish Boston gangster Whitey Bulger.