The Departed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Departed Reviews

½ November 22, 2015
2015-11-22 lots of plot twists and turns
August 19, 2011
"The Departed" showcases a lot of A-List actors with gritty violence and a compelling storyline about infiltrating the gangsters of Boston with exciting twists and drama and Scorsese's fine direction. My one complaint is that the scenes are cut too fast and there is a lot of continuity errors by the actors and it's a bit distracting.
November 11, 2015
Scorcese strikes again!
½ November 8, 2015
Kept me interested, but didn't leave me with feels in the end. Worth a watch though!
½ April 19, 2007
This surely is an epic crime/action movie with the a great cast. Even though it's a long movie, you don't get bored for a second. Martin Scorsese proves that he is a wonderful director once again. Everything seem more understandable after watching it the 3rd time.
October 19, 2015
The Departed is original, thrilling and has an amazing cast.
½ October 18, 2015
Watching the transformation of both "moles" as events unfold around them is what I most enjoyed about this film. Insomuch as recent Best Picture winners are concerned, this one surpasses nearly every winner chosen during the last decade. Even though it doesn't quite rival Scorsese's best work, I still enjoyed this film very much. Perhaps there were a few too many coincidences -- thinking about the sub-plot involving the police psychologist character -- that could have just as easily been excised and the resulting film been just as great? Nonetheless, the suspense builds throughout, which makes it possible for me at least to write that I didn't always see where this one was going.
October 18, 2015
In this review I'm not going to try and show how much better 'Infernal Affairs', the 2002 Honk Kong original of 'The Departed' is than Scorsese's production. Neither am I going to point out how violent this movie is or how many times the characters say 'fuck'. Go read Christopher Orr if you like that stuff. I did not see 'Infernal Affairs' yet. And if you've read any of my other reviews, you know how I think of politically correctness. Yawn.

I have not seen 'Infernal Affairs'. Before watching 'The Departed', I had no clue it was a remake. I will have to check that movie out and I'm interested to see what makes it typically Hong Kong. I know the violence and language are a product of the setting. I am one of those folks who do not believe you can create a believable and genuine atmosphere by removing violence and profanity that may be inherent to the environment. It's like some of these 'critics' love to see a lengthy drama in the setting of South American drug cartels without any swearing or blood. Good luck.

Back to the movie at hand. In short, it's a drama in which two moles are placed in a Boston mobster's unit and the police department respectively. They quickly get wind of each other's existence and a cat-and-mouse game to flush one another out ensues.

That story is based on the previous movie mentioned before. For the get go, Martin Scorsese sets the Boston tone flawlessly. Eveything from the sets, characters and dialogue fits. With great talent (Nicholson, DiCaprio, Damon, Sheen, Wahlberg and more) performing to the best of their abilities, what you end up with is an outstanding production. It's well-paced, well-acted, well-told and, well, just a great movie.

Granted, there are some sudden plot twists that might not be appreciated by everyone, but they do make sense in the world that we're witnessing. All in all, 'Infernal Affairs' might be even better than this. Good for that movie, but I'm reviewing 'The Departed' here. And if you have a chance to see 'The Departed', don't miss it.
½ October 17, 2015
Gritty, cringy, flashy.
October 17, 2015
Such a good film and good cast, I'm surprised not everyone gives it 5 stars, it has everything a good gangster film should have, arguably Scorsese's best film yet
June 27, 2012
One of the better police dramas out there.
½ March 12, 2013
It wasn't pretty, just as it wasn't meant to be. It had my interest the whole time. Very well made, very well acted.
July 1, 2012
A very good movie but it's ending makes me feel cruetly betrayed
½ April 18, 2014
The characters and story are rich and real, just as we expect from Scorsese. -- A-
September 22, 2015
My favorite movie ever , and that's saying something . In my country , people consider that Furious 7 is the best movie ever and Paranormal Activity , Annabelle etc are scary movies ... I don't have anything with people opinions , but this is my favorite , not just for Damon and Wahlberg , but the other actors .My god , DiCaprio in this movie , Nicholson in this movie and Alec freaking Baldwin , do I have to say more ? It's not flawless however , there are some problems with the ,,who is with who '' element , but that's about it . Terrific Movie ,10/10 (for me )
October 31, 2014
Great plot. Bad ending.
September 17, 2015
With the talent on hand it had to be good and this crime thriller is full of interesting F'd up characters.Very well done with great performances.
½ September 16, 2015
In what some would call Scorsese's return to form, the Departed manages to compile a thunderous cast, a break neck pulse and a wonderfully woven tale of deceit and double cross, based on the Asian thriller Infernal Affairs. Set in the wonderful shit hole of Boston, where mobster Frank Costello runs an extremely tried and tested operation, a young up and comer, William Costigan, is forced to go undercover to expose his crimes. However what Costigan soon figures out not only puts himself at risk, it also threatens Costello's informant from the inside, Colin Sullivan, a hot shot New York cop, with an overly compensating nack for offense and defense mechanism that needs some touching up. Its a wonderfully layered tale and although the writer does a decent job of updating the original to an American setting and make it more tongue and cheek, he still cant shake the heavy influence the Asian angle still has on the film. Although brutally hilarious, The Departed at times seems extremely forced and littered with dialogue that it trying its hardest to be approved by Tarintino afficionados. Nicholson and Damon seem to be the only ones who get the joke, leaving delivery of lines by other actors, somewhat a mixed bag, it is without a doubt The Departed's biggest flaw, one that can ask a lot from the audience, however the film more than makes up from its clunky dialogue with wonderful performances, a blistering soundtrack and some brilliant direction. The cast is a Hollywood wet dream, Leonardo DeCaprio, Matt Damon, Martin Sheen, Mark Wahlberg, Jack Nicholson, Ray Winstone, Vera Fermiga and Alec Baldwin are but a few of the wonderful thespians on offer here and every single one of them knocks it out the park. Leo really shines as under cover agent Costigan, I've never questioned the mans ability, but here all the neysayers have no leg to stand on, he adds a human and desperate angle to the tale, he is our in, our heartbeat and Leo thumps home a wonderfully crafted performance that manages to withstand the talent on offer around him. Damon is equally brilliant, Scorsese should be proud of his choice to cast these two in such a similar, yet contrasting role, both actors have similar backgrounds, yet are wildly different, it adds so much to the film watching two performers use all the tools in their box, to try and uncover one another and even though the couple spend such a sparse amount of time on screen together, both their determination and desperation adds a layer of tension to the piece that no script writer could even dare create. Nicholson is having the time of his life as Frank Costello, its easy at first glance to think "Old Jack" is phoning in a performance, until you see him quickly become Frank, this is one of those rare moments where an actor vanishes from before you and your left with a character, it just adds the cherry on top that Nicholson manages to have such a hoot playing him. The supporting cast are all top notch, however it is Wahlberg that steals the show, mostly because his one liners and viperesque presence can be such a wild shift in tone, that it catches you completely off guard, feeling like this loose canon could start a fight during a midnight mass if he needed to. The films other strength is its edit and pacing, luckily we arent bogged down with long drawn out scenes, going over and over the same ground, just to hammer home the point. Scorsese does the opposite in fact, hurtling the audience through his maze, it allows the film to stay fresh and exciting, rather than teeter off into boring cop drama territory. He furthers this by his inclusion of some familiar, yet well chosen toe tappers, from The Rolling Stones to The Dropkick Murphey's both relevant and contrasting bands, who echo the culture of the characters we are asked to invest in. It really adds a lot to the film contextually, without having to stop every 5 minutes and explain the cultural background of what is going on. The film looks decent too and at times, it can look downright hypnotizing, with bold colours, noir-like shadows and 70's psychadelica blaring on the speakers, however the film never really stands out visually for me the entire way through, in fact it doesnt do too much in the way of style, its not a terrible thing, but when Scorsese is trying to input moments here and there, that are clearly so bold and stylistic, only to forget them and their purpose for most of the movie, makes you feel like he is trying to pay too much homage to the original piece rather than flesh out his own vision. It is a minor gripe, but its one that did drag me out the film a little from time to time. The Departed is not perfect, it is visually inconsistent and has some extremely clunky dialogue, but its wonderful character acting, blistering soundtrack and exciting narrative manages to mostly overshadow the low points. It would be a sin not to check it out, but it really is a pale comparison to the likes of Taxi Driver or Wolf Of Wall Street.
September 13, 2015
A real thrill ride from start to finish with Scorsese's fantastic return to the crime genre. Great performances from the entire cast and a well deserved 4 Oscars including Best Picture.
½ September 13, 2015
Griping and entertaining, The departed blends thriller and drama perfectly. However it's rush beginning is shown but the nonetheless the case the middle and end act undoes it, making it a wonderful film by Martin Scorsese.