Despair (Despair - Eine Reise ins Licht) Reviews

½ August 18, 2013
As Fassbinder's first film in English, this psychedelic drama may have an intriguing story but the direction is heavy-handed and lacks that conviction found in his earlier works. Especially the tone he adopts seems incompatible with the kind of story he wants to tell.
June 12, 2011
Personally, I think this is one of Bogarde's finest roles.
November 27, 2014
I would have met Fassbinder to congrats to him
½ January 17, 2014
Surrealistic adaptation of Nabokov's is both experimental and oddly poised. From a highly cerebral Stoppard script, Fassbinder propels his film forward using the unsettling staging of his actors and the lushly beautiful work of cinematographer, Michael Ballhaus. The cinematic metaphor is rather clunky, but effective. As the Nazis assume power over Germany a successful chocolate maker begins to slip into existential delusions and the film slips into a mix of psychodrama and film noir. Somehow this experiment works. Dirk Bogarde is especially effective in the lead role. I had read a great deal about this film over the years and agree that DESPAIR was a departure for Fassbinder, but it is firmly rooted in what I would call Fassbinderian Language.
½ July 10, 2012
An odd campy film - with a less than surprising end.
March 8, 2012
it's both bold and beautiful to look at, but suffers from obfuscation -- perhaps becuase it's in English rather than German.
December 30, 2010
WHY ISNT THIS AVAILABLE!?