Desperado Reviews

June 14, 2015
Fans of Rodriguez will love it for sure, but not everybody can stand it.
May 30, 2015
After the surprise hit that his directorial debut represented, Robert Rodriguez decided to continue the adventures of El Mariachi but now counting with a bigger budget. Is this sequel better than the original?
After the events of "El Mariachi", our protagonist continues to travel looking for vengeance and now his target is a drug lord known as "Bucho".
"El Mariachi" was a solid, entertaining and promising directorial debut that followed the typical western formula so it had potential for improvement but unfortunately "Desperado" couldn't fulfill this task. "Desperado" counts with Rodriguez´s over the top but inventive directing, Banderas works as cliché protagonist, the cinematography is better, the location is beautiful, a campy vibe that manages to be amusing throughout the film´s running time, and over the top violence that gives this film some style. The big issue I have with "Desperado" is that it mostly follows the story and formula of its predecessor: The same plot points, replicates several sequences, the action is shot exactly the same, a score that feels improvised, stereotypical characters, the fast pacing, acting that is nothing great but is incredibly fun to watch, creative and over the top action scenes and the same humor. And while the majority of all those elements are improved due to the bigger budget, it lacks the indie charm that made "El Mariachi" so memorable and it is instead replaced with a over the top action vibe that is so laughable and ridiculous. Another problem this sequel suffers is the fact that the plot is irrelevant as the film is more focused on the action sequences rather than telling a logical, cohesive and well written story.
"Desperado" is a ridiculous film that feels like a remake of "El Mariachi" but it still manages to be incredibly fun, even though it is an inferior film. If you like action films/westerns you will like this film more than I do. A fun and entertaining but mindless film.
½ May 8, 2015
An amusingly ridiculous action flick.
½ August 14, 2012
Better than El Mariachi but not by a huge amount. Noteworthy for a few crazy action scenes and not much else.
½ April 23, 2015
Fun action adventure shoot em' up with pizzas.
½ April 19, 2015
I like good Robert Rodriguez films, but Desperado is not one of them. Banderas makes a fine character, but everything else that surrounds him feels so tasteless. The story is dull, the action lacks energy and gets repetitive,and there is hardly any character development. I admire the style and Rodriguez's frenzy editing style, but other than that it is an incredibly forgettable piece by a very talented director. Desperado is a disappointment.
February 26, 2015
Love this movie. This is a Robert Rodriguez classic. Antonio Banderas shows such great star power in this movie and is awesome in the role as the man with the guitar case full of guns. And Salma Hayek is terrific as well as along with Joaquim de Almeida as Bucho, the man Antonio Banderas is out to track and kill for killing the woman he loved and shooting his hand enabling him from doing the one thing he is passionate about besides shooting up bad guys....the guitar. This is how every action film should be made.
February 25, 2015
February 3, 2015
pretty good mexican western type movie
January 18, 2015
Nothing more than a over-the-top action movie. But that's all it's trying to be.
May 6, 2009
The very best of stylized of violence. Inspired by John Woo, but more enjoyable and accessible than his films. A 90s action must watch.
June 7, 2007
Perfection comes in all different forms. This is one of them.
December 28, 2014
Robert Rodriguez has got a special place in my heart. Films like Desperado and From Dusk Till Dawn entertained the hell out of me in my teenage years. There is something so awesomely bloodthirsty and over-the-top about this style of filmmaking that the gruesomeness takes on a level of hilarity that's well-complimented with stylish camera work and inspired drama. The music, as usual with A Band Apart productions, is great as is Antonio Banderas' performance as the vengeful El Mariachi. Good times.
December 13, 2014
this movie is pretty badass. Kickass action movie.
½ November 22, 2014
I love this movie. It makes me feel so Mexican.
October 27, 2014
It definitely improves and expands on the universe that director Robert Rodriguez created out of his no-budget sleeper hit "El Mariachi", which makes it about as good -- if not better than -- as the original.
½ September 30, 2014
I went into watching this with great expectations....bad move...very disappointing,made me wonder what all the plaudits it receives is about !
½ September 11, 2010
not my type of a movie
½ September 4, 2014
More money and bigger names do not necessarily equate to a better product. This is a loose continuation of the 1992 Robert Rodriguez's low-budget success, El Mariachi. Like El Mariachi, Desperado combines violent gangster movies with classic western movies. The result is a fun, stylish and unique hybrid typology that makes for a good time. Things get off to an extremely promising start with Steve Buscemi foreshadowing the bloody fate of a bar full of thugs and a mysterious gunman heading their way. Buscemi has excellent storytelling and narrating skills. This is the best part of the movie, and it is unfortunate that he does not narrate the entire movie. Rodriguez shows good craft in his cinematography and visuals. The numerous gunfights are full of adenine, but they are not as inspired. For example, one reoccurring flaw is where the hero blatantly stands in the line fire, as if he is bulletproof. As expected, the henchmen miss while the hero's shots kill. I do not ask for realism, but keeping things like this in check is not too much to ask. Despite a colorful and inspired performance from Steve Buscemi the other main characters lack the warmth and personality of the first movie. This is due more to the writing than acting of Antonio Banderas or Salma Hayek. Instead of wonderful southwestern Mariachi music, Rock n Roll now dominates the soundtrack. It may seem like a small thing, but it is so out of place that is a major distraction. It is still a good time, and it has style, but the writing is just not tight enough.
August 22, 2014